Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac: Wi-Fi disconnects frequently

Information:

Product: iMac 27", Mid 2011

Processor: 2.7GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR 3

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

OSX : El Capitan 10.11.4

Hello there. Since Upgrading to OS X Mavericks, my iMac has ongoing connection issues with the Wi-Fi. At first, it would frequently disconnect, like every 5 minutes. The only thing that helped was the diagnosis tool in the network prefernces. But it was a real pain to do this every time my mac disconnected. After moving this gigantic machine to my router to upgrade the software to El Capitan via LAN (as it cannot be updatet without internet which is great if you don't have an internet connection due to the update), things even got worse. My Wi-Fi connection would be either extremely slow, or not even connected at all. I then tried to clean-install OS X El Capitan. For the first hours, everything worked fine but then the problem reappered. I did not even use a time machine backup so the computer should be completely free by any software that could have caused the issue. Until now, I have tried the following that I found on the web:

• OS X Clean Install
  • Deleting files in "SystemConfiguration" folder, including preferences.plist, then rebooting
  • Setting up new environments with Wi-Fi as the only available service
  • Deleting all Networks under "
  • Deleting all networks in preferred networks
  • Configure IPv6 to Local-Link
  • Using Google's DNS-servers instead of the default servers
  • Automatic Configuration of the MTU
  • Removing the "Thunderbolt Bridge" virtual interface, which would reappear all the time by its own

If any of you might help me, I am very frustrated that even the full clean install did not help to solve my problem. But as it worked before the Update on Mavericks, I do not think it is a hardware issue. I will attach what I usually do to solve the problem but I would much rather like a persistent solution...

Thank you very much and I look forward to get some helpful advice.

Kind regards

CleeTie

---Attachement---

Step 1: When my WiFi disconnects, I usually use Network Diagnostics to fix it. The first three points are always green, ISP is sometimes yellow, sometimes red and the last two points are always yellow.

User uploaded file

Step 2: I choose WiFi and use my usual WiFi network.

User uploaded file

Step 3: I Insert the password which is safed in my keychain.

User uploaded file

Step 4: Every point except the first one goes red.

User uploaded file

Step 5: Wi-Fi settings goes green. System asks me whether I use DHCP or PPPoE (how do I even find out?)

User uploaded file

Step 6: However, before I can make a choise (between DHCP and PPPoE), the systems tells me that something has been changed. I press ok.

User uploaded file

Final Step: Apperently, my internet connection appears to work. However, three minutes later I have to restart this whole process.

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Mar 30, 2016 7:40 AM

4 replies

Mar 30, 2016 10:47 AM in response to CleeTie

What does Wireless Diagnostics show?

Wireless Diagnostics

Wi-FI connection drops

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite (2)

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite (3)

WiFi Potential Temporary fix - Yosemite

Also try turning off Bluetooth.

WIFI AND BLUETOOTH FINALLY SOLVED, NO REALLY - YOSEMITE 10.10

If your Wi-Fi source is capable of generating a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network, try that to help avoid conflicts with Bluetooth.

Mar 30, 2016 11:21 AM in response to Eric Root

Hello. Thanks for your reply! This is what Wireless Diagnostics shows me. My router is set up as told by the review. The second point tells me that my router had a German Country code and as I live in Switzerland, that would be a problem. However, on my new Macbook air, the WiFi works fine. And at last, restarting the router would only help temporarily, but not solve the problem.

User uploaded file

Turning off Bluetoth is going to be hard as I am working with the Bluetooth keyboard and the Bluetooth Apple Magic Mouse. If nothing helps, I will get both wired to test it.

Unfortunately, my Wi-Fi source does not support a 5 GHz network, all it can do is 2.4. Also, I am not able to deactive 802.11h service in my router. As it seems, the router only supports 802.11n (I'm no expert but to me it seems like it)

As a next step, I will try to reset the SMC. Let's see if that helps.

If it won't, I will deactivate AirDrop and AWDL with the terminal command given in the other link you sent me. (Even tough it only seems to power the speed of the connection, it should be worth a try.)

If that won't work either, I will reset the SMC together with the PRAM and do all the steps as proposed in: http://www.macissues.com/2015/01/30/having-wi-fi-issues-after-updating-to-10-10- 2-try-these-fixes/.

I will keep you posted. If anyone has more advice, I would highly appreciate it. Thanks

Mar 30, 2016 12:29 PM in response to CleeTie

Update: Resetting the SMC and PRAM did not work.

Deactivating the console via the console told me that there was no awdl0 (see screenshot)... which I think is weird?

User uploaded file

Also, turning off bluetooth did help at first (like 10 minutes) but became worse every time I refreshed my connection...

Is there no way to use my macbook air (that can get connection from the router) to forward the connection to my iMac? It would only be a temporary solution but at least it would work...

Or is there any way to reinstall an earlier version of OS X (as the problem showed up the first time when I updated my software)? I tried it in the Mac App Store but it would not let me install it...

Thanks for your help

iMac: Wi-Fi disconnects frequently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.