Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2008 Mac Pro only starts when resetting PRAM

I very rarely turn off my 2008 Mac Pro as it's a hassle to restart. I get a gray screen with no action so have to shut down, pull power cord for 15 seconds and then do a PRAM reset as it starts.

Any idea what's going on -- maybe a failing battery on the MB?
Thanks

Alan

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2016 11:06 AM

21 replies

Mar 30, 2016 11:43 AM in response to English Rebel

Try these in order testing your system after each to see if it's back to normal:

1. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  2. Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
  3. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, then restart again, normally. If this doesn't help, then:
  4. Restart the computer and after the chime hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  5. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu.
  6. After Disk Utility loads select the hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the side list. In the Disk Utility status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (S.M.A.R.T status is not reported for external drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume from the list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. When it finishes click on the Repair Permissions button. When that has completed quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.
  7. Download and install the OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 Combo Update.
  8. Reboot from the Recovery HD. Select Reinstall OS X from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.Reinstall the 10.10.5 update, OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 Combo Update, if required.

Apr 27, 2016 11:42 AM in response to English Rebel

Okay I restarted with the Options key and selected my OS X disc. In System Preferences the disc showed up but when I selected it, it said it couldn't use this disc. I again restarted with the Option key pressed, selected the OS X disk again but this time it didn't show up in System Preferences. I did a Verify Disc and it came back as OK. I haven idea why my Startup Disc is not showing but at least I can restart the computer quickly by using the Option key.

Alan

Edit

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem. I had my OS X disc in slot 1 and it was failing so I booted to my Time Machine and did a clean install on an old Boot Camp disc in slot 2. I opened the case and removed the bad disc and moved the OS X disc to slot i. However a Boot disc is still not showing up in System Preferences.

Alan

Apr 27, 2016 12:17 PM in response to English Rebel

The choices made with the Option key at Startup are only temporary (this time only). To make a semi-permanent change, the approved method is to use Startup Disk. But I see that is not working for you.

You may be able to work around the issue by Restarting into Recovery mode, and choosing its slightly different version of Startup Disk off one of its menus, then restarting.

Apr 27, 2016 12:30 PM in response to English Rebel

It is possible that you do not have a Recovery_HD on your drive. Installing one at this point may take erasing your drive.

Do you have a Trusted Backup? or two?

The command to check the drive partition names in terminal would be:

diskutil list

and would return a list of each partition on the drive --

one small one for EFI,

one large Macintosh HD (or equivalent),

and one small one for Recovery HD.

Apr 27, 2016 12:33 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant

I did a terminal command and there is no Recovery partition -- just Secondary and OS X (no idea what Secondary is). I understand that with Yosemite the recovery partition was removed. I do have Time Machine. (used it to install OS X on a new hard drive). Having said that it's not much of a hassle to restart using the Options key.

Alan

Apr 27, 2016 2:47 PM in response to English Rebel

English Rebel wrote:

I very rarely turn off my 2008 Mac Pro as it's a hassle to restart. I get a gray screen with no action so have to shut down, pull power cord for 15 seconds and then do a PRAM reset as it starts.

Any idea what's going on -- maybe a failing battery on the MB?
Thanks

Alan

2008 Mac Pro here -- and did have issues starting -

I did change the battery that keeps the time and date - major pain - instructions in the everything mac book -- not sure I really had to do it.

In general - all that reset stuff turned out to be a waste of effort and just prolonged the problem.

On startup - if the chime is fine and no light flashing - just wait until it gets from grey to blue to the desktop -- if the desktop does not look okay - or it loads not in a big splash - restart immediately - repeat until its ta-da -- best test use go to bring up a folder and open an item on it.

If you are using Time Machine - it may be the problem - also if you have never configured spotlight preferences - consider if you want to use it.

In knowing what I know now - getting rid of my existing time machine backup - starting anew - big help (if you cannot enter time machine and page back through time without a freeze it is lost)

As to leaving it on all the time - I shut down after every use - and only after the Finder/spotlight indexing had memory leaks - did startup become a problem.

The startup delay may have something to do with the OSX Unix stuff having to do some housekeeping.

Apr 28, 2016 6:22 AM in response to English Rebel

English Rebel wrote:

NotCloudy

My issue is that the startup disc is not defined so it takes a long long time to start up.

Alan

After the chime quickly hold down the option key - even if you only have one disk it will let you select the startup drive --

OSX has been known to lose preferences after you do resets -- so after you startup go into preferences and reset the default startup drive.

Even when it is configured you may get a long startup -- since OSX (I found my book for it) there has been an issue with the finder - that and my panther manual include mention that if finder appears to not be working you should force quit and relaunch it.

2008 Mac Pro only starts when resetting PRAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.