Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Apple USB Driver in Windows 10 Device Manager

Is there a way to get the Apple USB Driver back in the Windows 10 Device Manager. I downloaded the iTunes 12.3.3 yesterday and now it is gone.

I have tried

• plugging in each of my Apple Devices (iPod, iPad, iPhone 4s, iPhone 6)
  • restarting my computer
  • disabling my virus protection software
  • syncing with different cords (some Apple, some not)
  • restarting my devices and trying again
  • uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling
  • uninstalling iTunes and going back to and old version
  • doing a Windows System Restore to a point when I could sync my devices

My main problem is that I need to sync my devices and iTunes won't detect them without the driver. Windows can detect my devices and they show up in File Explorer. I am also able to get photos and videos that I have taken off the devices and onto my computer with no problems.

Any thing else I can try? I'm out of ideas. Thanks!

iPhone 6, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 8:07 AM

If iTunes, and the Apple Mobile Device Service are apparently installed correctly, try the following:

1. Open Control Panel > Device Manager
  2. Plug in your device
  3. Locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.
    It is also possible the device may show under Imaging Devices, Portable Devices or Other Devices or as an MTB USB Device.
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software...
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software
  6. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
  7. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  8. Click Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
  9. Click Next, then Close and exit Device Manager

Or try iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Failing that try a full tear down and rebuild of iTunes as set out in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2016 8:07 AM in response to drhud218

If iTunes, and the Apple Mobile Device Service are apparently installed correctly, try the following:

1. Open Control Panel > Device Manager
  2. Plug in your device
  3. Locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.
    It is also possible the device may show under Imaging Devices, Portable Devices or Other Devices or as an MTB USB Device.
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software...
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software
  6. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
  7. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  8. Click Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
  9. Click Next, then Close and exit Device Manager

Or try iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Failing that try a full tear down and rebuild of iTunes as set out in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

Feb 21, 2017 5:24 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you so much for this, I was tearing my hair out. I followed the directions in your link, and the most useful part was when you mentioned that the device might be listed under "portable devices", where mine was. It didn't show as the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver at all, but I followed the rest of your instructions by pretending that "Apple iPhone" was the "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" and it made my iphone 5S "magically" appear in iTunes. So, so happy, thank you so much!

Jun 29, 2017 9:45 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for you help/ideas. I posted the same question in a different thread, I should not have done that, my bad.

I'm getting the "Allow this device to access photos and videos?"

PC OS is Windows 10 Pro, I just turned auto-play all the way off.

I also tried to untrust the PC by resetting the Location and Privacy settings, after doing that it does NOT ask me if I want to trust, so it still must be trusted, that's somewhat of another bug/issue.

I also mentioned elsewhere that my iPhone 5 did NOT have the same problem, actually that is only partially true. I was using a mophie and there for connecting via micro USB vs. lightning, in that scenario it did not give the message, but I tried today with lighting and it behaves just like the iPhone 6s which makes more sense to me.

I really think I need the iTunes driver as explained in the other thread about the "Allow this device to access photos and videos?"

I think the easiest way to do that is just install iTunes on this machine, grab the driver and then uninstall iTunes if I need to.

Sound right or do you have any other input?

Jun 29, 2017 10:16 AM in response to cwmizner

Windows already has a driver for the iPhone that supports it as a camera. You shouldn't need to install Apple Mobile Device Support and its driver just to suppress a connection dialog box, but you may need to tweak whatever is raising it. Can you post a screenshot of this alert? I've a feeling I'm missing something. BTW I was using a Windows 7 machine earlier and the only 10 system I have to hand already has iTunes on it so I cannot readily replicate your situation. Take a look at http://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-autoplay-defaults-windows-10. You ought to be able to set autoplay to ignore the iPhone connecting.

tt2

Apr 1, 2016 7:34 AM in response to drhud218

This may help:

If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

See the section:

If you use a Windows PC

and read carefully. Depending on your Windows version the Apple Mobile Device Driver may appear in different places.

Other than that, the general adzice is to tear down EVERYTING associated with iTunes and reinstall. See turingtest2's excellent iTunes for Windows Troubleshooting page at:

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

especially the section:

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components

No Apple USB Driver in Windows 10 Device Manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.