Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 9.7 WiFi connection issues - 5GHz

My brand new iPad Pro 9.7 is having major issues staying connected to my home WiFi 5GHz channel. The connection drops about every 30 seconds or so and I have to manually add the network back in. Also, when reconnecting it does not always take the password, and it takes several attempts before it finally accepts it.

Oddly, the iPad is rock solid when connected to the 2.4GHz channel and has yet to drop that connection. All my other iOS devices (older iPad and two iPhone 6's) have no problem staying connected to the 5GHz channel so I know its not a settings issue with the router. But just to be sure I put all the router settings to those listed here: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

That did not fix the issue.

I then went back to the Apple store to see if they could help me and they ended up exchanging the iPad for another one. The same exact issues exist with the replacement. I even made sure to not restore from a backup, and setup the replacement iPad as a NEW iPad. I then tried connecting to WiFi with the pre-installed OS and still had the same issues. I then updated the iPad to the latest OS 9.3.1 and it still exhibits the same issues.

I am at a loss for what to do next. I will be returning the iPad Pro 9.7 for a second time in two days. This was not ready for release.

iPad Pro, iOS 9.3.1, 128GB, 9.7 inch model

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 4:02 PM

33 replies

Feb 13, 2017 3:42 PM in response to Petrowski 2016

I couldn't agree more. All my other apple devices (iPhones) and my PC work like a charm except the iPad. I'm using a sky router and this problem happens to me time to time. Very annoying.

Apple really disappoints me. Wifi is one of the most important thing on an iPad. Why can't they fix it? How long are they gonna let this problem go on.

Apple really has failed with this product. It is now hard to recommend an iPad Pro to anyone.

Very disappointing considering how much I pad for it.

Apr 21, 2017 4:34 PM in response to elcpu

TThis is the first time I ever had this problem and number 2 reset network worked, thanks. The only difference I could think of is that the Apple Store did the update to the software there as in the past I've always taken it home, updated the software at home then downloaded my back up. I think there is something about doing an update somewhere rather than your own network maybe.

EIther way, thanks for the list. It was helpful and saved me a bigger headache

Aug 3, 2017 3:29 AM in response to importriders

I have a new iPad Pro and in the three weeks I have owned it I am on the telephone with technical support constantly because it insists on dropping the internet. We have tried turning off: turning on: reset wifi: backup and restore through iTunes x 2: reset the iPad to factory, and now erase the iPad completely and reinstall software. It is now worse than ever, not only dropping wifi connection but when it does connect is slow as ditchwater. I'm so fed up, traded my air2 for this, big mistake. And now apple says the problem is my wifi which is running 2 computers with no problem, an iPhone with no probLen and the Air 2 did not have a problem

Sep 16, 2017 9:38 PM in response to elcpu

Still can't connect to Linksys E2500 router. It broadcasts both 2.5 and 5; settings are set based on what many have suggested here. It has the latest firmware from the manufacturer's website.

So far this is the 'weird' condition:

1. I have iPad 2 and iPad 3; both can connect with 5Ghz with no problem at all, it also can scan and connect to the 2.5Ghz.

2. iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 9.7 inch; none of them even can scan the SSID for the 5Ghz, they only read and connect to the 2.5Ghz.

3. The above also happens to iPhone 5s.

4. iPhone 7, can connect to 5Ghz with no problem, it also can scan both 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz broadcast.

I have tried the Forget the Network, on those devices. I have restarted the router, even I have tried different settings and restarted the router.

Nothing changed. Any idea? Thank you in advance.

Apr 1, 2016 4:04 PM in response to importriders

General suggestions for Wi-Fi issues, maybe one of them will help....

1) Perform a Forced Restart: Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow device to restart.

2) Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.

3) Change to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4

4) Disable the QoS service on the router if available.

5) Reboot Router/Modem: Unplug from power for 2 minutes and plug again. Update Router Firmware (check manufacturer’s support website). Verify your router is Wi-Fi certified.

6) Determine if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).

7) Try device at another Network, i.e., neighbors’, public coffee house, etc.

8) Restore the Device (ask for additional for details if desired).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

9) Go to an Apple Store for hardware evaluation.

Apr 1, 2016 4:33 PM in response to elcpu

No luck with #3. Issue still exist. One thing to note, sometimes when manually reconnecting I get the Incorrect password for "SSID" pop-up. I just recently got it about 10 times in a row before it finally accepted the password. This would also happen on the first iPad Pro I returned.

To answer your question, only the first one was checked out by the Genius Bar tech, unsure if he tried to connect to a 5GHz channel with it. But yes, that would have been a good idea before taking the one I currently have home. I just assumed the first one was a lemon.

As mentioned in the first post I have 3 other iOS devices, an older iPad 3rd gen and two iPhone 6's, working solidly on the 5GHz channel.

Apr 1, 2016 5:42 PM in response to importriders

For whatever it is worth, I purchased a new router last year with the latest bells and whistles. Some of my devices worked well with it, some did not. A replacement did not help and neither did reflashing or reconfiguring. Ended up getting my money back and buying a different brand and it has worked flawlessly since. I have some devices on the 2.4 band and some on the 5 band, no issues. The router I initially bought works well for most so go figure.

All I can suggest is testing your iPad on another network with the 5 GHz band. Is your router configured for AC only or n/AC mode? The iPad should work in AC only mode but worth a shot perhaps - also different bandwidths.

Apr 1, 2016 5:59 PM in response to elcpu

Yeah I thought about trying the various router settings, but I feel like I shouldn't have to go to that extreme for the one iOS device that doesn't work on the current 5GHz settings. I have had multiple iOS devices aside from the current ones I own work flawlessly on the 5Ghz band with the same router and settings.

It is really a mystery why the iPad Pro 9.7 does not work.

For what its worth I have an Asus RT-N66U.

Apr 2, 2016 10:00 AM in response to elcpu

SOLUTION FOUND!!!!

Router: Asus RT-N66U

Device: iPad Pro 9.7 (gen 1)

Decided to give it another go and did a little more Googling. Found an obscure post from 2014 on another forum, a Mac having issues connecting to 5gHz. Essentially the same issue as me but for a Mac and he had the same router. He switched channel bandwidth to 20MHz only mode and that fixed it. I was in 20MHz/40MHz mode. Made the switch and now I am on 5GHz rock solid for that past hour.

This issue seems to exist on certain iOS devices and the Asus RT-N66U router. I am quite shocked that this isn't a more documented issue considering how popular this router is.

iPad Pro 9.7 WiFi connection issues - 5GHz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.