You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating an iPod touch 3.1.3

How do I update the ipod touch 3.1.3 from when it was new in 2010?

Did not open my purchase til this spring.

iPod touch, iOS 3.1.3, updates

Posted on Apr 6, 2016 5:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2016 6:03 PM

Update it from iTunes on a computer as described at the bottom ofthis article; there isn't a Software Update option in General on iOS versions prior to 5.0. It can only be updated directly to the newest iOS release supported by the device’s hardware.

The maximum iOS version for the second generation iPod touch and the iPhone 3G is 4.2.1.

The maximum iOS version for the third generation iPod touch and original iPad is 5.1.1.

If you don't know what device you have, click here and look it up.

(141289)

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 6, 2016 6:03 PM in response to carols82

Update it from iTunes on a computer as described at the bottom ofthis article; there isn't a Software Update option in General on iOS versions prior to 5.0. It can only be updated directly to the newest iOS release supported by the device’s hardware.

The maximum iOS version for the second generation iPod touch and the iPhone 3G is 4.2.1.

The maximum iOS version for the third generation iPod touch and original iPad is 5.1.1.

If you don't know what device you have, click here and look it up.

(141289)

Apr 8, 2016 4:25 AM in response to carols82

As side note, 4.2.1 version will hit the 2nd generation 3.1.3 iPod (if that is your device) with some performance degrade (depending your average use).

I've a testing MC086BT device on 4.2.1, and 3.1.3 is the best you can handle with the intended user experience for that model.

I'd suggest you to check 4.2.1 release notes and decide if it is worth the upgrade process. There are a number of things that made me update to 4.2.1 anyway, but you are the best judge of how much the improvements are useful to you.

You also can do a "General > Reset > Reset all Content and Settings" directly on your device.

Apr 7, 2016 3:39 PM in response to Niel

First of all thanks for the reply! Next query...since I have the 3.1.3 software version would that be a first generation?

Also, I plugged it in my iMac and it prompted it having updates that would take 7 hours+-. Didnt have a steady enough connection for that long and it kept needing to start over.

Soooo.... the big time question is whether I will ever be able to download my iMac music on the iPod if it can't get the newer updates that I have on the Mac.

Bought the iPod with my iMac in 2010 and didn't open the iPod til now! Crazy huh?!

Jul 22, 2016 1:54 AM in response to carols82

First of all thanks for the reply! Next query...since I have the 3.1.3 software version would that be a first generation?

Also, I plugged it in my iMac and it prompted it having updates that would take 7 hours+-. Didnt have a steady enough connection for that long and it kept needing to start over.

Soooo.... the big time question is whether I will ever be able to download my iMac music on the iPod if it can't get the newer updates that I have on the Mac.

Bought the iPod with my iMac in 2010 and didn't open the iPod til now! Crazy huh?!

Updating an iPod touch 3.1.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.