Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get the pdf of the iPad manual?

I tried posting this and a little yellow bird said I am not allowed to post. If there's two of these that's why.

I just got an iPad purchased direct from Apple. A card with it says I can download a pdf of the manual or use the manual via web pages. Apple also offers a "free" introductory on-line session to help set up and answer questions. However, Apple's first "appointment" for the free session is 8 days away. (One sooner but I have commitments) I don't really want to let the iPad sit around as an attractive desktop decoration doing nothing for a week so would like to get started with a manual's help. I can't find Apple's promise of a downloadable/printable manual. The give an address but it takes me to the web page manual. I can not find a link for printing and printing the web gives me only one page at a time. The on-line manuals are confusing. They have lots of blue "see here" type references and after a while I am so deep into the "see here's" that I can't find my way back to page 1. Perhaps a bit of hyperbole but I find them very frustrating.

Is there a pdf of a manual for the iPad? How do I print it

Thanks

Geoff

iPad Air, iOS 9.3

Posted on Apr 7, 2016 6:01 AM

24 replies

Apr 7, 2016 6:32 AM in response to Geoff K

Unfortunately, Apple in their unbelievable infinite wisdom, seems to have done away with the PDF manuals after iOS 8 was released. They offer the web version and the free book in the iBooks store.

This link takes you to page where you can find the two manuals, one of which you already have.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Sometimes, Apple just can not leave well enough alone.

Apr 7, 2016 6:32 AM in response to Geoff K

What you need to do is get iBooks up and going and use that to obtain the manual(s).

iBooks is now Standard Issue in OS X 10.11 and probably the same in iOS 9.x. So locate the program or app, sign in (use your AppleID) to the iBookStore then search for "Apple" or browse down to technical/computer books. You'll find the general Using iPad for iOS 9.3 eBook that covers all the models.

Apr 7, 2016 7:25 AM in response to Demo

Well.... At least you acknowledge that Johannes Gutenberg has already graced this green Earth and no longer resort to hand penned manuscripts produced on papyrus. 😁

Geoff, the advantage of the eBook on iBooks is that you can carry it on the device at all times (offline reading), can search for any keyword instantly and it gets kept up to date at all times. Yes, eBooks get updates as well, in the case of the iGadget manuals, every time a new iOS version or subversion comes out.

Apr 7, 2016 6:19 PM in response to Demo

All praise to Johannes! But seriously, I do like paper reading, at least for books. OTOH, I get all my news via the web because I live where newspapers are delivered 2+ days late. I'm retired (and lazy) so can sit in front of the computer for several hours a day. But at night when I'm ready for a good mystery I want a "real" book. Maybe that will change as I get comfy with the iPad.

Thanks, guys, for your help. I'll download that book but not until after midnight. (Satellite broadband with a data cap but "free" midnight until 0500.)

Geoff

Apr 7, 2016 6:33 PM in response to Demo

Demo wrote:

Unfortunately, Apple in their unbelievable infinite wisdom, seems to have done away with the PDF manuals after iOS 8 was released. They offer the web version and the free book in the iBooks store.

Always wondered why they did this. PDF is so commonplace now and virtually all documents are available in the format. 😐

Apr 8, 2016 3:29 AM in response to SergZak

I never understand what Apple does. I suppose they want to be on the cutting edge of everything, tradition (or what really works) be ******. PDF files are a very important part of what I do. Most of the digital artwork that we receive for printing or copying is emailed to us in PDF format.

Apr 8, 2016 9:38 AM in response to bobseufert

I believe this only works on the device itself. This whole PDF issue (Apple dropping the format for it's iOS manuals at least) affects a lot more devices than just an iDevice.

It used to be you could download the PDF from any PC/Mac/iDevice and use/read it on any device or PC that supports the PDF format. You cannot do that now...you need to use iBooks (iOS/Mac) to read the iBooks manual or use the web-based manual (for which you need to be connected to the internet).

The last couple of versions of the iBooks iOS manual actually crashed iBooks (on my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.11.3) repeatedly. I could never open it. Every time it crashed when I tried to open it, I'd send the crash log/report to Apple. I'd have to use the web-based manual exclusively. This was finally corrected in OS X 10.11.4 (updated OS X iBooks possibly) or the updated iOS 9.3.1 iBooks manual...I could never pinpoint what exactly fixed it. It does work now.

It would've been a lot easier on my end if the PDF were available as it used to be.

How do I get the pdf of the iPad manual?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.