Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Headphones Too Loud

I just got a pair of Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless headphones from Amazon and, while I really do like them, the lowest volume setting is still way too loud. I tried to fix this by enabling Sound Check and turning on the Volume Limit in Settings>Music>Playback but those only seem to work for wired headphones. I've also tried to play with the EQ but none of the presets lower the volume without also messing with the amount of bass/treble. I've run out of ideas at this point and would welcome any help. Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 14, 2016 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2017 6:55 PM

This response adds no value to the discussion. This topic s brought up across the internet/across the world. There is no way to reduce the volume below the minimum in iOS, which is a HUGE flaw. That is why no one in any sort of even slightly meaningful position will give a straight answer on this topic. I don't care about headphones/BT peculiarities, Everyone asking this question ( thousands of people if not a factor of 10 more) wants to know how they can change the volume in settings since a large number of heasdsets do not have volume control and the stock minimum volume is way too loud, crazy loud. Obviously I do not know what occurred in Apple to cause this but this problem is actually quite a massive flaw, and all of the proof points to Apple relying on circuitous conversation control to convince everyone who asks the problem becomes redirected and somehow convinced that the problem is actually the headphones or some equally implausible explanation. After looking for quite some time, not a single Apple customer service associate has supplied an actual fix for this ridiculous feature. Do you understand why your response doesn't help anyone?

74 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2017 6:55 PM in response to deggie

This response adds no value to the discussion. This topic s brought up across the internet/across the world. There is no way to reduce the volume below the minimum in iOS, which is a HUGE flaw. That is why no one in any sort of even slightly meaningful position will give a straight answer on this topic. I don't care about headphones/BT peculiarities, Everyone asking this question ( thousands of people if not a factor of 10 more) wants to know how they can change the volume in settings since a large number of heasdsets do not have volume control and the stock minimum volume is way too loud, crazy loud. Obviously I do not know what occurred in Apple to cause this but this problem is actually quite a massive flaw, and all of the proof points to Apple relying on circuitous conversation control to convince everyone who asks the problem becomes redirected and somehow convinced that the problem is actually the headphones or some equally implausible explanation. After looking for quite some time, not a single Apple customer service associate has supplied an actual fix for this ridiculous feature. Do you understand why your response doesn't help anyone?

Feb 3, 2017 10:40 AM in response to Jmmanin

I have the same exact issue. I have seen some other threads about it, but I'm stunned there isn't even more noise about this. I have three pairs of bluetooth headphones from various brands (Jabra, iFrogz, and another cheap pair) that all are uncomfortably loud at the lowest setting. Just like the others mentioned - the volume only controls the iPhone volume.

• Plug in headphones work fine.
  • The same headphones all work great when connected to an Android device (lowest volume is actually low).
  • The issue is spread across iPad, iPhone 6s, iPhone SE all running the latest OS.
  • I don't always recall this problem - but it's been around for at least a year now for me (could be longer).
  • Podcasts / spoken audio apps seem okay - but music apps are crazy loud.
  • Another old pair of over the head Sony BT headphones are okay - but the volume on the headset is independent of the iPhone's volume, so they appear to be using a different tech than most modern headphones. If I turn it all the way up on the Sony and down to one notch on the iPhone, it's similar to the other headphones (as if this is the default when volume is dependent on iPhone).

This has been a major annoyance and is pushing me toward getting an Android as my next device (even though I don't really want to otherwise). To those who aren't experiencing it - what headphones are you using? Have you tried to compare the lowest volume between BT and plug in headphones side by side?

Dec 28, 2017 2:49 PM in response to Jmmanin

I’m a light sleeper. My husband is LOUD at night. I need to dround snorts. After Years of tangled headphones sleeping at night, FINALLY LOWER VOLUME WHILE SLEEPING !!!!!!!!

I tried all apps I could find, nothing. Until now, “EQUILIZER +”. I just move down all the app’s toggle sound adjusters. Especially with the new Iphone no ear jack downfall this is great!!!!!! No jailbreak needed!!! No headphone splitter charge splitter, which iPhone rejects because not supported by Apple.

Now I can get rid of my wired earbuds. And use the Bluetooth earbud so I can get a decent sleep.User uploaded file

Feb 27, 2017 6:04 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I disagree. I'm guessing a lot of users don't notice if they like music a little louder or are using an open-ear model that may be less susceptible. I also know certain bluetooth headsets work fine, but there are *many* that don't.

I just purchased my fourth pair (a new Anker model) that has the exact same issue. From silent to the first volume notch is a substantial jump that is already too loud for quiet environments. I've tried everything - tested multiple iOS devices and Android devices and the issue is only on iOS, not Android.

Issues with handling bluetooth audio is not even unique just to iOS. Android has had this issue intermittently that has popped up on certain versions, although they've generally fixed it pretty quickly. I remember having the issue right around the Kit Kat release - and it happened again on 6.0.1. See here. There has to be a software fix possible on iOS.

Again - It's completely clear from this thread that not all earphones have the issue. Do you mind listing which ones work and if the volume control is linked between the iPhone and the headset?

Dec 28, 2017 2:49 PM in response to Jmmanin

I think I have found a way around this. I downloaded an app called "Equalizer+ HD music player", which lets you play your music library through it. The benefit of this app is the it has a built in sound equalizer, meaning you can adjust the volume outside of Apple's limits. This doesn't solve the entire problem, but at least I can now listen to my music at decent sound levels when using Bluetooth headphones.

Jan 27, 2018 1:28 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Reading the OP’s question an experience with BT, there is no mention that the volume cannot be adjusted from low to high. The BT low volume setting is just louder than the cable connected headphone setting when the iOS volume indicator shows one bar.

It’s the blue tooth volume step difference that has an issue. From what I read here, the volume totally mutes on the first bar instead of when the speaker symbol is crossed out as shown below.

Using the BT control adjusts the volume digitally and hence there is no mid point as in analogue button adjustments.

There are more than 100 thousand BT headphone manufacturers and saying 4 are good therefore everything is bad would be unfair to the multitudes if people having this problem.

On the other hand Apple does not have a specific brand of BT headphones that it says works with iOS exclusively including the 4 brands you say work perfectly. Beats are made for and by Apple but guess what they the set I have has the same issue.

This exactly takes us back to the point I raised in my post earlier.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 17, 2017 7:59 AM in response to Jmmanin

Things that don't have this problem:

• I have an older Sony DTR-BT-101. They don't have this problem: with those I had to turn up the volume on the phone almost all the way to get a workable volume range using the volume control on the headphones. Those also don't show the little headphone icon on the top of the iPhone screen.
  • When I pair my phone to my 2012 Mazda car stereo, it functions the same as the Sony's: no problem, two independent volume controls.
  • I have three different bluetooth speakers that function this way, but at least one does show the headphone icon on the phone.

Things that have this problem:

• My new Skullcandy Grind headphones do have this problem: when you adjust the volume using the buttons on the headphones, the phone's volume indicator shows and it is adjusting the phone volume. The lowest volume setting is all I can use in an office setting. These headphones work fine if I use their wired connection instead of bluetooth.
  • I tried a co-worker's new Jabras: same problem.

There is probably something in newer versions of the bluetooth protocol where the headphones can tell the phone that they support volume control. That would explain why some newer headphones have this problem and some don't. I suspect that the engineers at Apple were being clever without realizing that the amplifier in some headphones would be set too loud for this to work well.

Feb 7, 2017 5:54 AM in response to sallenmd

The PowerBeats 3 uses the new W1 chip designed for iOS connectivity. Perhaps Bose is unaffected as well for some reason. I'd be more interested if anybody has less expensive in-ear bluetooth earphones that don't have the issue. These are the specific ones that have the issue for me:

iFrogz Impulse Wireless

Jabra Halo Smart

Anear Bluetooth Headphones

All of these are made in the last year are two and are sub-$75. The very lowest volume is substantially loud at best, uncomfortably loud at worst. I've tested on two iPhones and an iPad. I may try to invest in a nicer pair to see if that solves it, but what's maddening is they work perfectly on various Android devices.

Feb 27, 2017 8:08 PM in response to evanhop

My current BT headsets are a Parrot Zik noise-canceling, a Blueant Q3 and just-received Airpods. The Zik has a volume control that goes from zero to ear-shattering, and it controls the phone's volume. The Airpods don't have a volume control, but the control on the phone also goes from inaudible to TOO LOUD. The Q3 likewise has a full range, although it isn't stereo. In the past I have used 2 different Plantronics Voyager series, and they both had a full volume range. I don't recall if they controlled the phone's volume, but I think they did. I also have a Fugoo BT stereo speaker, and it's volume range is also zero to full.

Mar 2, 2017 12:16 PM in response to Jmmanin

Omg! Same...I also just got a new wireless Bluetooth headphones yesterday and I got the same problem as yours. Even in the lowest volume it still very loud and it hurt my ears. But, Let say fortunately I just found out that the next and previous music player button and the volume button is same... you just have to hold the button to make it louder and lower. I don't know what kind of headphones you got tho. I saw your comment yesterday and I sing in to this community to try to help you guys. Hope this help you....sorry for my English.

Mar 29, 2017 9:26 PM in response to Jmmanin

I was having this problem with my Tzumi Bluetooth sport earbuds and I think I have found a technique that works for me but I don't know if they will work for everyone. What I did was I put the volume at the lowest setting it would go without muting it. I then paused it and while being paused I turned the volume up a few notches, I then I paused the music and once Unpaused I turned the volume back down and the volume seemed to be at a much lower level. This worked for me so I thought I would share.

Bluetooth Headphones Too Loud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.