Announcement: Announcing the newest addition to Apple Support Communities, Apple Arcade!

If you have a question or knowledge to share with the community, we want to hear from you.

Related Article

Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in

Question:

Question: appleTV keeps asking for appleID, password and authentication code circularly

after updating my iPhone I was asked to use the double authentication code, I had no idea of what kind of nightmare this is. I spent hours going from a device to another checking passwords and authentication codes. The last one is the Apple TV, after this stupid innovation my appleTV keeps asking for my AppleID, password and authentication code, and than goes back to the request for the appleID. Basically my AppleTV is useless. how can I eliminate the stupid authentication code, that makes all my devices basically inaccessible?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Feb 27, 2017 2:15 AM in response to cbearman In response to cbearman

ALL the problems here are the result of the two-factor code's 30-second time out. By the time you put in your password on the Appletv, the code you'd received up front has expired.

The solution is to get the two-factor code AFTER you've typed in your password (and before you hit enter), then add the six digit code to the end of the password and it works.

How do you get a fresh code when you want it?

On iphone or ipad

• go to settings, iCloud
  • click on your iCloud ID at top of screen
  • click on "Password & Security"
  • click on "Get Verification code"

Append that new code to the password on your apple tv and you're done.

Apr 16, 2016 6:43 AM in response to Vinceassociate In response to Vinceassociate

I just ran into this problem last night with my 2nd and 3rd generation AppleTV's. I wanted to finish watching a movie I had started on my laptop - truly frustrating. I just found the solution on this Apple page:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to find the "What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?" section to find the solution:

"If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions, you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 or OS X El Capitan, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field."

This worked successfully for my 3rd gen AppleTV; I'm hoping it works for my 2nd gen as well.

Sep 17, 2016 12:09 PM in response to nicomorix In response to nicomorix

Solved it on 2nd gen. my password is 14 characters long and by the time I was getting to enter The code I think it had timed out. I entered my password, got the message to enter with the six digit code and the pop up on my phone - ignored the pop up, entered my password in full then went to my phone to generate the code and entered immediately.

i Think the 6 digit code expires after 30'sexonds.

hope that helps!

Oct 23, 2016 2:12 PM in response to Mats A In response to Mats A

Thank you, I also got this to work on a 2nd Generation Apple TV. But it was quite a dance of timing.

On an iPhone go to Settings->iCloud->Password and Security and scroll down to Get Verification Code.

But don't press that yet because they expire after 30 seconds(?) and given the time it takes to enter a reasonable password on an Apple TV you will want to wait until it is needed.

Enter your password on ATV2 and then click on Verification Code and append the 6 digit number.

If you're getting the verification code from another source you will a) have to be in the same room, b) have a partner shout it to you.

Unfortunately, when you enter a password with an expired Verification Code it's just a bad password.

/Jeff

Mar 16, 2017 5:29 PM in response to nicomorix In response to nicomorix

First, you need to sign out of iCloud on your Apple TV. Then go sign back in using your password. It will fail, but your phone or other pre-authorized box will say someone tried to login, verify, and give you the code. Let's say your password is "Password1", and the security code is "123 456". You need to login into iCloud on the Apple TV with the code "Password1123456". Hope this helps!

Jun 18, 2017 7:58 AM in response to Donald Portofee In response to Donald Portofee

Yes. That's what we're trying to say here. You do not enter Apple ID and password and wait to receive a code. You do

- enter Apple ID

- enter password and stop

- use Settings on your phone to request a code, see this link: Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support halfway down

- add the code to your password and send it.

The only time-critical part is from when you receive the code and when you complete entering the code. Please try to do it like this.

Mar 19, 2017 10:59 AM in response to roxymarieee In response to roxymarieee

Hope this helps? No. It doesn't.

This is Apple TV, not the next release of The Room.

Instructions should be clear and easy to follow and not rely on undisclosed hacks like some of you have laid out. Apple is losing customers because they can't deliver a product that should be simple to use.

Mar 20, 2017 1:41 PM in response to MC-BKK In response to MC-BKK

Apparently the new Apple TVs will work as expected. The older ones are not designed for two-factor; but Apple should fix this via a software update (will they?).... but the work-around works.

Do not turn two-factor off because of this, just go to your iphone and get a fresh code after you type-in the password on the Apple TV and before you append two-factor code. Do this by....

(On iphone or ipad)

• going to settings, iCloud

... then just type that code in the password field after your ATV password.

It works, I've done it on three older Apple TVs.

Mar 20, 2017 4:32 AM in response to roxymarieee In response to roxymarieee

That's correct except many people have a long password and cannot complete the process in a timely fashion. (the two-factor code expires after 30 seconds). The method you mention often fails as it takes some users a long time to enter a pw on an AppleTV (using the remote) and the two-factor code is useless by the time you complete it.

You need to go to your iphone and get a fresh code after you type the password and before you put in the original code. Do this by....

(On iphone or ipad)

• go to settings, iCloud

Then type this fresh code in, appending to the end of the password you already typed in, and it will work

Oct 20, 2016 10:44 AM in response to nicomorix In response to nicomorix

Hi !

I activated 2FA two weeks ago. Today my ATV 2 demanded the code for 2FA?? Finding this post solved the problem.

As said, log on to Your iCloud account, on the ATV 2/3, use Your ordinary password but append the 6 digit verification code on the tail.

You can request a verification code when ever You want from a trusted device Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

After the succeful logon You will have another request for Apple ID Sign In, but just skip it.

/ Mats

Oct 9, 2016 12:14 AM in response to glev1 In response to glev1

Solved it on 2nd gen. my password is 14 characters long and by the time I was getting to enter The code I think it had timed out. I entered my password, got the message to enter with the six digit code and the pop up on my phone - ignored the pop up, entered my password in full then went to my phone to generate the code and entered immediately.

Boom, your in! 😀

Mar 20, 2017 3:04 AM in response to agateKing In response to agateKing

When you sign in again, use your password then add the code that was given to you beforehand onto your password before you press submit. It won't prompt you to enter the verification code again if done correctly.

This is a fake password below, please use your own password and code. I'm just trying to show you what you're supposed to do.

Password: Password1
Code:123 456

When it loops back around after a failed attempt, put it in this order together with no spaces when it asks for your password: Password1123456

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Apr 15, 2016 2:32 PM in response to nicomorix In response to nicomorix

Turn off the two factor or 2 step feature:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Frequently asked questions about two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support

Others have reported problems with them when used with Apple TV.

Apr 15, 2016 2:32 PM

Reply Helpful (19)

Apr 16, 2016 6:43 AM in response to Vinceassociate In response to Vinceassociate

I just ran into this problem last night with my 2nd and 3rd generation AppleTV's. I wanted to finish watching a movie I had started on my laptop - truly frustrating. I just found the solution on this Apple page:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to find the "What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?" section to find the solution:

"If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions, you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 or OS X El Capitan, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field."

This worked successfully for my 3rd gen AppleTV; I'm hoping it works for my 2nd gen as well.

Apr 16, 2016 6:43 AM

Reply Helpful (74)

May 13, 2016 6:43 PM in response to Jeffrey Miller1 In response to Jeffrey Miller1

I tried this on a second gen Apple TV, but no dice. Just went in an endless loop of entering the username, password and then verification code. Apple TV has basically been utterly useless because I can't buy or rent anything anymore.

May 13, 2016 6:43 PM

Reply Helpful (56)

Sep 17, 2016 12:09 PM in response to nicomorix In response to nicomorix

hope that helps!

Sep 17, 2016 12:09 PM

Reply Helpful (48)

Oct 9, 2016 12:14 AM in response to glev1 In response to glev1

Boom, your in! 😀

Oct 9, 2016 12:14 AM

Reply Helpful (13)

Oct 20, 2016 10:44 AM in response to nicomorix In response to nicomorix

Hi !

I activated 2FA two weeks ago. Today my ATV 2 demanded the code for 2FA?? Finding this post solved the problem.

As said, log on to Your iCloud account, on the ATV 2/3, use Your ordinary password but append the 6 digit verification code on the tail.

You can request a verification code when ever You want from a trusted device Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

After the succeful logon You will have another request for Apple ID Sign In, but just skip it.

/ Mats

Oct 20, 2016 10:44 AM

Reply Helpful (14)

Oct 23, 2016 2:12 PM in response to Mats A In response to Mats A

Thank you, I also got this to work on a 2nd Generation Apple TV. But it was quite a dance of timing.

On an iPhone go to Settings->iCloud->Password and Security and scroll down to Get Verification Code.

But don't press that yet because they expire after 30 seconds(?) and given the time it takes to enter a reasonable password on an Apple TV you will want to wait until it is needed.

Enter your password on ATV2 and then click on Verification Code and append the 6 digit number.

If you're getting the verification code from another source you will a) have to be in the same room, b) have a partner shout it to you.

Unfortunately, when you enter a password with an expired Verification Code it's just a bad password.

/Jeff

Oct 23, 2016 2:12 PM

Reply Helpful (31)

Nov 7, 2016 5:50 PM in response to Jeffrey Miller1 In response to Jeffrey Miller1

That worked for me on ATV gen 3, thank you.

Note. That is far from intuitive and I have not been able to find that listed on any Apple website. It's also a terrible user interface, especially on a device with the least user friendly text entry selecting from the alphabet grid). I'd rather somebody just steal the ATV than have to type lengthy upper- and lower-case text strings.

Nov 7, 2016 5:50 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: nicomorix

Question: appleTV keeps asking for appleID, password and authentication code circularly