Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your username or password is incorrect" except it isn't

I'm trying to set up icloud email on an android device. I have entered all of the imap info correctly. Howeve, I keep getting the message that my username or password is incorrect. I have tried dropping the @icloud.com as suggested. I have also tried it with @icloud.com and @me.com and @mac.com. Each time I get the incorrect username or password. I am absolutely using the correct password as well as username. What is wrong? I am a resident of the US with an iPhone, MacBook Air and iPad. However, I travel extensively to the UK and recently purchased a UK pay-as-you-go android phone. Can that have anything to do with it?

Posted on Apr 18, 2016 4:30 AM

16 replies

Jun 3, 2017 9:49 PM in response to PG-th

No, but it is in the Apple Support Articles for Two-Step Verification and Two-Factor Authentication:

From the Two-Step support article: Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support

How do I sign in to my account using an app that doesn't support entering two-step verification codes?

You can generate an app-specific password from your Apple ID account page and enter it into the password field of the app that you want to sign in to. This allows you to sign in securely even if the app you’re using doesn’t support entering verification codes. For example, you might use an app-specific password to sign in to iCloud using a third-party email, address book, or calendar app.

If you want to generate an app-specific password, sign in to your Apple ID account page. In the Security section, click Edit > Generate Password.

Learn more about app-specific passwords.

From the Two-Factor support article: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Generate app-specific passwords

With two-factor authentication, you need an app-specific password to sign in to your account using third-party apps or services such as email, contacts, or calendar apps not provided by Apple. Follow these steps to generate an app-specific password:

1. Sign in to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Click Generate Password below App-Specific Passwords.
  3. Follow the steps on your screen.

After you generate your app-specific password, enter or paste it into the password field of the app as you would normally.

You might want to provide feedback to Apple about adding this information to the iCloud Email Support Article: Apple - Feedback

Cheers,

GB

Jun 16, 2017 2:03 AM in response to Nicholas Finney

When you log into the mail client on your Android device you need to use the 'app-specific' password provided by the two-factor authentication system instead of your usual iCloud account password, which will no longer work. In order to do this you must set up 2-factor authentication using a Mac running El Capitan or above, or an iOS device running iOS9 or above.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Jun 3, 2017 9:28 PM in response to CarlAVII

This useful contribution should be more widely available:

"If you've set up two-step verification or two-factor authentication the Apple ID that you're using for iCloud, this can occur if not using an app-specific password. The article linked below provides further information about (including how to create and use) app-specific passwords."

it it is not found in, for example, the Apple Support page about accessing iCloud email from other systems, such as the Gmail app on Android.

Jul 24, 2017 8:50 PM in response to JoanneP

I am having the same issue when I try to set up my Amazon Alexa calendar app to iCloud. I have set up 2 factor authentication and have generated an app specific password. I have tried every combination possible @me.com and my comcast email with the app specific password with and without the dashes.

Have set up Alexa to google no problem.

Apr 23, 2016 8:53 AM in response to JoanneP

Howdy JoanneP,

I understand that you're having trouble setting your iCloud email address up on your Android device due to it reporting that your username or password are incorrect. If you've set up two-step verification or two-factor authentication the Apple ID that you're using for iCloud, this can occur if not using an app-specific password. The article linked below provides further information about (including how to create and use) app-specific passwords.

Using app-specific passwords
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204397

Cheers!

"Your username or password is incorrect" except it isn't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.