Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best for Medical School?

My wife is starting medical school in the fall. We are an Apple connected household, and she really wants a new MacBook to start school with in the fall. That said, I want to know based on everyone's experiences which model would be the best to last the 4 years she will be in school?

She loves the ultra portability of the MacBook and MacBook Air, but also likes the 13 MacBook Pro. When I went to Best Buy the other day, the guy working there told me for a long term device she should get a MacBook Pro. He said it will continue to get updates and you can upgrade the components easier than you can with the MacBook and MacBook Air. I am not sure how much that makes sense, so I wanted to see what the forum here thought about which model is the best?

I still have an old Mid-2012 MacBook Pro which I update the RAM and HD on to get 16GB and 1TB SSD. I love it, and don't mind going without the Retina display. That is what was making me lean toward getting her a MacBook Pro as well.

I thank you for your help and guidance in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 18, 2016 8:01 AM

5 replies

Apr 18, 2016 8:14 AM in response to Marine778

New Mac models are not very upgradeable. RAM is soldered in so you have to buy now what you think you will need for however long you decide to keep the computer. Unless you buy the oldest model MacBook Pro* which I believe Apple still sells, the drives are also a custom manufacture. I think some third party drives are being introduced which can be used as upgrades but remember that unless Apple specifically states that a part is user-replaceable any work done by you may invalidate a warranty.

In essence any computer should "last" at least 4-5 years. Buying more RAM than you think you need right now helps stretch it a year or two. OSX El Capitan requires a minimum of 2GB RAM but when Apple says minimum always think at least double that, and users report it being much happier with 8GB. If you're a power user think more right now. So 6 years down the road? I wouldn't dream of getting less than 16 GB.

*Which may be heavier than your wife may like and will also be the first to drop off the end of the support line.

Apr 18, 2016 9:21 AM in response to Marine778

Please forgive my ignorance if I am incorrect on anything here. First of all, thank you for your response. The older 13" Mac Pro is a consideration as well, and I would definitely upgrade anything well after the warranty fades away.

Considering the three models though, which would be best for a hard core graduate school student attending medical school? They are clearly not the same. From what I understood from the Rep at Best Buy, I thought at a certain point they would not update the software for the MacBook or MacBook Air (Specifically the iOX). Is there any danger of that?

Forgive me if I was not clear before. These things are spendy, and I want to get her the best product I can for the long haul. So, given what I want it for, does anyone have an opinion as to which one they would get and why?

Thank you again.

Apr 18, 2016 10:06 AM in response to Marine778

Ultimately all computers get dropped from OSX upgrades. When a model falls behind on given specifications Apple will not support it in an OSX release, or it may make the upgrade but certain features will not be supported in older models. So typically a higher model computer such as one along a similar line of models but with slightly higher CPU might make one final cut whereas others get dropped. It depends upon where the line gets drawn and what features Apple may be introducing and their hardware requirements. We can't predict what Apple will do but we can look at what they have done in the past. Feature support starts tailing off when a computer is 4-6 years old but a computer may not lose support completely until it is 8 years old. However, things have changed. I still run a 14 year old G4 but gone are the days when that could be done because you just can't do hardware upgrades the way you used to.

My late 2008 MacBook is the last of the MacBook line to meet El Capitan specs. and not many 2007 models of anything make it. It is 2016 so 2016-2008 = 8 years of OS upgrades. It would not surprise me at all if my computer never sees another OSX upgrade. By the way, El Capitan really likes 8 GB RAM which is the maximum I could install in this computer so perhaps one way of looking at it is saying you only get the maximum OSX life if you also have the maximum RAM possible for a model.

I can't say which would be best. When I did grad. school there was one PC8088 for use by 20 grad students. We were overjoyed when they installed a 10 MB hard drive. My thesis fit on a 360k 5" floppy. It depends upon what kind of computing your wife needs to do and what her patience level is. Remember, I keep computers for 13 years, nor do I own an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or iTunes Store account. 🙂. I personally view MacBook Airs as being for those who need something small and light and few features. Not for the person who needs external drives or wants to be hard wired to the Internet, but good for the business person who needs ultimate portability and can afford a new computer every 5 years unless they don't mind not having the latest and greatest. The old MacBook Pro stands the best chance of being a DIY upgrade computer but is also going to be the first one to need those things. It is likely also heavier. If I were getting one I might be tempted by it but I tinker with computers; I have a high patience level with old things (my 100 year old house and 35 year old car). My wife has less patience with such things and went with a newer model MacBook Pro a few years ago and decided on a cost per year basis it met her needs.

Get 16 GB RAM to try to future-proof. More would be better but might be expensive unless you are really thinking long-term.

Apr 18, 2016 12:48 PM in response to Marine778

The older 13" Mac Pro is a consideration as well, and I would definitely upgrade anything well after the warranty fades away.

Granted, it's upgradable, but it needs to be upgraded, as it is a 4 year old design that won't come close to the performance of the newer models, even with the upgrades. Probably, the only reason for it being kept in lineup is because it is the last Mac laptop that has a built in DVD drive. Also note, that it's the only non-Retina display MacBook Pro.

Best for Medical School?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.