Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 has returned from repair with loose screw - stripped?

My girlfriend's iphone 5 just came back from repair and the bottom screw (next to the Lightning connector) dropped out as it was loose. I dropped the screw back in and it fell nearly all the way, sticking out only half a mm or so maximum. I moved it a quarter turn with my finger and now it grips, but i don't anticipate it staying there long without being torqued up correctly.

Thing is, I'm surprised how much the screw went in without tightening (and it would drop out just as easily). Is this normal on the iPhone? We don't know whether to send it back because the thread is gone or get the necessary tool to screw it back in? I'm not keen on loosing the screw at some later date if it can be avoided.

Any advice much appreciated!

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1, New phone restore complete

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 11:32 AM

4 replies

Apr 20, 2016 12:27 PM in response to Ingo2711

HI...sorry, I should've said it was a repair carried out by an insurance company, not by Apple directly. It's a pain to send back and be without a phone so I was wondering if it was normal for screws to sit so low in the phone before tightening? If it's normal I'll find someone with the right driver and tighten it myself, if not I'll send it back.

iPhone 5 has returned from repair with loose screw - stripped?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.