Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

12" 2015 Macbook USB-C thumb drive disconnects or does not load

I have a 2015 Macbook. I have the usb-c to usb cable adapter to use a thumb drive, I have a 3.0 sand disk TD connected. A good one.

I cannot copy anything to it as it frequently disconnects the drive. Also, I have to reboot it for the drive to be recognized.

Yuck....

Anyone

Posted on Apr 21, 2016 5:27 PM

4 replies

Apr 24, 2016 4:43 AM in response to Lady Engineer

Here is a link tosomeone asking about a similar problem. Reverting to a previous version of the operating system is not an easy task if you don't have a backup with said operating system. Resetting the SMC is a plausible thing to try. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Because it's easy, I would also suggest creating a new user account, logging in as that user, and seeing if the problem recurs.

Finally, do you have easy enough access to an Apple Stored the Genius Bar (appointment necessary)? They have access to hardware testing tools that might clarify the issue. As well as cables to sub in to see if there is something wrong with yours.

Good luck and please let us know how you fix this.

dick glendon

Apr 29, 2016 4:12 AM in response to Lady Engineer

I knew that I had seen a similar question elsewhere. I rediscovered it yesterday (see below) among the comments about an Apple MacBook adapter in the Apple Store. Does this sound like your experience? One comment on a Web site doesn't make a trend but the distinction between some simple uses and sustained transfer, e.g. moving large files or backing up is interesting. As is this poster's success with an adapter with a power connection.

"Seems to work fine for USB keys and other USB peripherals. But not so much for sustained data transfer to a hard drive. The external drive intermittently unmounts from the desktop. A lot of trouble shooting and buying of new cables led me to this insight. I have two of of these cables and they both have this intermittent failure. The Apple hub cable with the HDMI and power connections seems to work fine however. Very frustrating."

dick glendon

12" 2015 Macbook USB-C thumb drive disconnects or does not load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.