Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 pauses streaming after ~5secs

As the title says my ATV4 simply pauses the streaming after about 5 seconds of playback, in any application. I've tried YouTube, Apple Events, TED, Plex. It's all the same. If I resume the playback it starts again instantly, but it would pause again after another 5 seconds And so on. It's not a network issue, I have it now connected on Ethernet and the speed test shows an expected 94Mbps and other devices on the same network work just fine. I've even tried to reset it to factory settings, it still does the same thing. I thought it might be the remote, I took it out of range and used an iPhone remote app, no change. Even more infuriating the issue comes and goes with no appparent reason. The ATV might work perfectly well for a week then out of the blue it would simply pause any playback after 5 seconds. Then after a few hours or days it will start to work properly again.

I have no idea what to do anymore, anybody else experienced something similar?

Apple TV, tvOS 9.2

Posted on Apr 21, 2016 4:37 PM

27 replies

Feb 19, 2017 9:38 AM in response to dcbinsomniac

I have read all the posts, and have the same problems, with certain exeptions.

After giving up all troubleshooting the ATV4, I connected my old ATV3 to the TV. Same problem!

All video or audio from any application barely start before it stops.

Another symptom (ATV4 & 3) is that selecting "Sleep now" in the control settings switches the unit off, but it starts again ca 30 seconds later.

But the problem is fixed now! I cannot explain why, only how. What put me on track, was ragex1337 mentioning that his/her "Mac laptop was trying to connect to the ATV". I went upstairs to my iMac (from 2010) and shut down Youtube in the browser (Firefox). I had been working in that room all week, and always have had some sort of Youtube show running. By the end of the day, I would pause the show (to continue the following day). Shutting down Youtube fixed the problem - even "Sleep now" works as it should.

Upstairs again, start a Youtube file, and pause it. Problem back? No, ATV still works fine. It simply feels like something has been "reset" and wasn't "set" again by having a Youtube file paused. I would love to hear the full explanation!

Apr 21, 2016 5:03 PM in response to dcbinsomniac

Does the ATV progress bar show that it's downloading smoothly?

Are you using AirPlay from another device, or using apps on ATV?

It's not a wifi problem, since you're on ethernet.

When you say it pauses, do you mean the video player stops, displaying a thumbnail of the last frame played? Or does the video just stop moving, while the player remains iin Play?

When you say resume, do you mean that you hit Play and it plays the next 5 sec and pauses again?

Force quitting sometimes resets a balky app; these things are in a pretty early stage of development. You might be running an app that corrupts memory, or some such. Also, it probably helps not to have too many apps running; they remain active once started, just like in a smart phone.

Power cycling ATV will clear out everything and give you a clean start.

Apr 22, 2016 11:33 AM in response to Diana.McCall

I'm using apps on the ATV, not AirPlay, as I said it happens with any app that streams any content: Youtube, TED, Apple Events etc.

Yes, it behaves exactly like a pause: first the sound starts to dim and the image freezes and it shows the thumbnail at the bottom. If I press play again it starts instantly and plays again for another 5 seconds.

I'm pretty sure the network is not the problem, I've installed a speed test app on the ATV itself and I've got 94Mbps both for upload and download (I have a symmetric 100Mbps internet connection). Besides, no other devices (including an ATV 3) have any problems.

As I said, not only did I try restarting it, as a last resort I've even reset it to factory settings once, to no avail.

Apr 22, 2016 11:59 AM in response to dcbinsomniac

OK. Does the progress bar show that downloading is continuing, or is it stuck also?

It's strange that it actually pauses. Slow streaming would normally just hang, without showing the thumbnail screen.

Just as a guess, could the remote battery be low? You can check it in the ATV Remotes settings. Some users have reported strange behavior caused by a weak remote battery.

Also, are you running the remote app on iPad or iPhone? You might quit it, just to remove it from the equation.

Apr 22, 2016 2:29 PM in response to Diana.McCall

So I went to see about the progress bar and kept restarting it after it was pausing, but there never was any progress bar or load indicator. I mean, the bottom bar is always the same shade of grey throughout. After fiddling with it a few times it just started working properly, I mean it's not pausing anymore for now. But still there never is any progress bar or load indicator. I mean on my ATV 3 I see the load indicator sometimes, and on the bottom bar I can also see how much of the stream is downloaded, but on this ATV 4 I don't ever remember seeing the load indicator or the progress on the bottom bar.

The remote still has 68% battery, but now that you mentioned this it did behave strangely on occasions, meaning that for a few seconds (20-30) the touchpad responds erratically to finger moment and clicks as well. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this last time when the remote behaved funky it was just before the streams began to pause.

Unfortunately I don't think I can return it anymore, but if it keeps doing this I'll try to get it solved under warranty.

Apr 22, 2016 2:59 PM in response to dcbinsomniac

On ATV 4, you see the status bar when paused, with a thumbnail of the current picture, the time played and the time remaining. You also see it if you touch the touchpad while playing, but it fades out after a few seconds. It fills in with grey, showing how far the download has progressed. Note that some videos won't play until the download is a certain distance ahead. It sounds like your ATV is not able to continue downloading,so it stops because it reaches the end of the data.

This begins to sound more like a network issue. There have been some odd reports of settings changed after tvOS 9.2. You should check your settings, and especially the DNS, as vazandrew suggested. Dropping into pause is still strange, as if maybe it is losing the feed, or maybe being dropped by the server.

Can you try running the YouTube app on another device and using AirPlay (not mirroring) to send the video to ATV. I expect it will malfunction in the same way, when the problem condition prevails, of course.

When it's in the stuck state, do other devices still have good internet response? Can you play a YouTube video on another device while ATV is stumbling?

Can you identify any other change that occurred when this trouble began? Maybe a new router, new isp, local network reconfiguration?

Apr 22, 2016 3:51 PM in response to Diana.McCall

As much as you can be sure of anything, I'm pretty sure it's not a network issue. The network settings are on DHCP, just like the other devices, nothing special here. All my other devices work just fine. I have a Plex server on the network and I can play just fine from it on all other laptops, desktops, iPad, ATV3 both on ethernet and WiFi, it's only the ATV4 having issues. Also while having this problem I ran a speed test app from the ATV4 and it shows a 1ms response time and 94Mbps bandwidth, so again, I don't see how it can be a network issue.

And in fact it had this problem from the begging. I bought it a few days before the most recent Apple event and I wanted to watch the event on it, but it did the same thing back then, so I thought that it's just Apple's stream, too many people watching, but on the same WiFi in same room, I could watch the event just fine on a MacBook Air, so I thought it might be my WiFi, as I had it on WiFi at that moment. The problem went away after about an hour and I thought nothing of it then. Afterwards it occurred a few more times but it would go away after a few hours, or the next day, but this last time it lasted for almost 3 days.

Apr 22, 2016 4:10 PM in response to dcbinsomniac

Hmmm.

Does ATV 4 play OK from the Plex, or does it exhibit the same problem? That would eliminate the internet, if it fails on local data also.

This odd dropping into pause sounds like it's disconnecting from the server, or the server is dropping it. The intermittent nature is really hard to explain. Maybe it only happens on full moons, like yesterday 😉

Couldn't be an MTU problem, could it? I assume you've set it at the router suitable for your connection.

No chance you've enabled parental restriction?? I'd walk through all the settings, and make sure they make sense.

Apr 23, 2016 3:13 AM in response to dcbinsomniac

We are running kind of low on options. Since it's intermittent, taking ATV somewhere else in unlikely to be conclusive, unless it can be stuck in failure mode.

Since you also have ATV 3, I assume you've changed the name of one of them to eliminate clashes. That shouldn't affect playback, but who knows?

Could it be taking commands from the connected TV over HDMI-CEC? Does hitting Enter or Play on the TV remote affect the ATV?

There's no chance of an IP address conflict, possibly another device using the same IP statically? Maybe a visitor brings their device or computer, which is configured for some other network.

The trouble with the hardware assumption is that there's not much hardware involved. It's the same on wired and wifi, so it's not the NIC, since they're different. There's probably a graphics output chip, but that would only affect the screen output. Everything else is embedded in the core chip, and a hardware problem there is unlikely to be intermittent. There' a remote possibility that it's temperature dependent, but you imply that it can remain bad after sleeping, whcih should allow cooldown. Once we eliminate all of these, we're left with software, or some network or configuration issue.

Apple TV 4 pauses streaming after ~5secs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.