Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIC not working with siri/voice to text after ios9.3.1 update

After I updated to 9.3.1 my hey siri stopped working in that it no longer hears my commands and voice to text will not pick up any sound either. I know there is no problems with my microphone working because I can still be heard on phone calls and when I disable siri am still able to use the basic voice controls that were pre-siri. I have already tried disabling siri and reactivating it (and reactivating the hey siri as well, although I cant set it up since it cant hear me), changing her accent, switching the voice from male to female, restarting the phone, updating restrictions. And frankly I'm at a loss here, I cant think of any other possible fixes. Has anyone else run into this and if so were there any resolutions? Please help!

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 8:55 PM

17 replies

Oct 4, 2017 7:19 PM in response to MarineNutria04

I have been using the “hey Siri” feature since it was introduced to my iSE. It has always worked, including my FaceTime (front and rear), voice memo, speaker phone and dictating. i just updated my iOS phones and iPad minis to the new iOS 11.0.2 yest and today. Now, all other services are still working except “hey Siri“. I tried turning the feature off and back on but now I can’t set it up! On my iSE, it will hear me say hey Siri the first time during setup and no more after that. I have tried force restart to no prevai! Again, all other features work fine with all 3 mics. This is definitely not just a hardware issue but rather an update or “software” issue.

Apr 23, 2016 9:04 PM in response to thestefunny

thestefunny wrote:

After I updated to 9.3.1 my hey siri stopped working in that it no longer hears my commands and voice to text will not pick up any sound either. I know there is no problems with my microphone working because I can still be heard on phone calls and when I disable siri am still able to use the basic voice controls that were pre-siri. I have already tried disabling siri and reactivating it (and reactivating the hey siri as well, although I cant set it up since it cant hear me), changing her accent, switching the voice from male to female, restarting the phone, updating restrictions. And frankly I'm at a loss here, I cant think of any other possible fixes. Has anyone else run into this and if so were there any resolutions? Please help!

Hi thesetfunny,

I understand you're having problems with the Hey Siri feature. I can also understand the need to have the Hey Siri feature. I've used it once or twice before and the feature is pretty convenient at helping me stay productive. Here are steps to troubleshoot problems with your iOS device from an Apple Support article:

Get help with Siri

• If "Hey Siri" isn't working, make sure that "Hey Siri" is turned on under Settings > General > Siri.
  • Siri might say, "Sorry, I'm having trouble connecting to the network," or "Try again in a little while." This is probably a network issue. Check your Internet connection and try again later.
  • When you're using Siri to dictate, dictation is limited to about 30 seconds.

If Siri isn't available, or doesn't understand or respond to questions

Before you try these steps, make sure that your device works with Siri. After each step, see if Siri is working.

1. Make sure that your iOS device has an Internet connection through Wi-Fi or cellular data.
  2. On your iOS device, make sure that Siri is turned on under Settings > General > Siri.
  3. Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  4. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Siri and turn off Siri. Then turn it on again.
  5. If you're using an iOS device, try to use Siri with a headset. If Siri only works when you're using a headset, get help with the microphones on your device.
  6. Contact Apple Support.

I hope this helps you.

🙂

Apr 23, 2016 9:54 PM in response to thestefunny

There are 3 mics on the phone.

Test the front mic(The one that siri uses) by taking a front facing video. If there is no audio it is a hardware problem and not an update issue.

Source:

Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Test the microphones on your device

To find out if there’s an issue with the microphone on your device—and not your cellular connection or the app that you're using—test each microphone. Microphone location can vary by device. You can use your product's technical specifications to find the microphones.

iPhone

There is more than one microphone on your iPhone.

User uploaded file

To test the primary microphone on the bottom of your iPhone, open Voice Memos and tap the record icon. Then speak into the microphone and tap the play icon to play back the recording. You should be able to hear your voice clearly.

If your voice sounds faint when you’re using the speakerphone on a phone call, make sure that your iPhone receiver isn’t blocked or covered.

If audio from video recordings sounds faint, or Siri can’t hear you, make sure that the microphone near the iSight camera—on the top, back corner of your iPhone—and the receiver isn’t blocked or covered.

Apr 24, 2016 1:21 AM in response to thestefunny

I have the same problem. On 23rd April, Siri and also voice dictation stopped worked. I reset the wifi on the iPhone 6s Plus, the Siri settings, etc as this poster did. The mic worked fine on the voice record app. I also reset my home wireless router, SuperHub 3, provided by the UK's Virgin Media. My iPad also on 9.3.1 works fine on Siri and on same wifi network. I am now still trying to get Siri to work but notice iphone is getting very warm and has used 12% battery in 45 mins. I can only exit Siri by powering home, the home button is unresponsive. Do I need to do a factory reset?

MIC not working with siri/voice to text after ios9.3.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.