Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is no toggle for mirroring when I select Airplay.

When I swipe up to the control center and select Airplay on my iPhone 6S, my Apple TV shows up. I select it, but the toggle for mirroring does not appear. I do see the notice: "With Airplay Mirroring you can send ..." etc., but there is no toggle. Audio gets sent to the TV, but not video. This is also the case for my iPad. I have restarted all devices. All are operating the latest systems. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions appreciated.

Posted on Apr 24, 2016 12:12 PM

10 replies

Apr 24, 2016 4:37 PM in response to Mr. Maguro

It sounds like your ATV is indicating it cannot accept video. Please see my reply in this apple tv just sending audio on airplay thread, which describes the same problem.

What version is your ATV, with which software?

Did this use to work, or is it a new configuration?

Provided AirPlay is enabled on ATV, I would guess that your TV connection does not support HDCP; TV is not directly connected by HDMI cable, or HDMI cable is very old.

Can you play a video using an app on ATV?

Apr 25, 2016 5:46 PM in response to Mr. Maguro

Thank you both for your quick replies. This problem emerged after I bought a Samsung television. Prior to that, mirroring worked fine. I have looked for a setting on the television but can't find one. Maybe Samsung TVs are not compatible with mirroring through Apple TV? My ATV is at least a year old, but it is updated. The HDMI cable is brand new. I have power cycled it. Thanks for any other suggestions!

Apr 25, 2016 6:28 PM in response to Mr. Maguro

First, note that it's not only mirroring that you're missing, it's AirPlay of any video. ATV is saying it can only accept audio; note the iPod icon replacing the normal TV icon in the iPhone popup.

What model is your new Samsung, and is it by any chance UHD 4K?

Can ATV play video from one of its apps, for instance YouTube? I assume you do see the ATV home screen, etc.

Also, please tell us your ATV version, see Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Definitely try what Vinceassociate suggests.

Apr 26, 2016 12:33 PM in response to Mr. Maguro

You are correct, Only the iPod icon shows up. The HDMI cable is high speed, and I have swapped it with another one. The Samsung TV is a 40" 1080p LED Smart TV. The ATV reports it is Model MD199LL/A, which makes it third generation. I have power cycled everything. I have not yet tried the full restore, but since the problem emerged only with this new television, I wasn't sure it was ATV's problem. Thanks for your continued help!

Apr 27, 2016 5:51 PM in response to Mr. Maguro

Please confirm that you do see the ATV home screen on the TV, i.e. ATV can send video to the set.

Also, can you play video using an ATV app, e.g. YouTube? That will confirm that the basic ATV functions are working.

Apparently, your TV is not 4K, but it is "smart". Please tell us the model, so we can look at the specs.

Have you tried different HDMI inputs on the TV? And you are directly connected to the TV, with no other gadgets or receivers in between?

Since ATV says it cannot accept video from your iPhone, this is not a question of mirroring not working on your set.

Are you using the current iOS (9.3.1) on the phone? Just wondering if the phone isn't understanding what it hears from ATV.

I believe the problem is that ATV cannot confirm that the TV connection is safe from an HDCP viewpoint. Since video airplay would allow you to view copy-protected material, that would be unsafe. So ATV says it cannot accept video. That's why I'm fussing about the HDMI cable, good connection, etc.

Apr 27, 2016 5:23 PM in response to Mr. Maguro

Your last post got me thinking about why one thing would work but not the other, so I plugged it into yet another port with an older cable, but one I knew was good, and voila. It works. Thank you very much for your help. Even though I had done those things before, I did them again and it worked. They say one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, but this time it paid off. Well, different port and different cable, but same idea. Thanks again for your help.

Apr 28, 2016 2:55 AM in response to Mr. Maguro

Excellent. So, your AirPlay problem boiled down to a dicky HDMI connection causing ATV to not recognize your set as an acceptable receiver for video. If the components had been connected for a while (years) or the environment is a little smokey, it's possible that the mating contacts had become corroded. That's why we suggest disconnecting and reconnecting firmly, hoping to rub the coating off. You went to a different port and a different cable, so had a good chance of making a better contact.

There is no toggle for mirroring when I select Airplay.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.