Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Classic support?

Hey,

I have a PowerBook G4 (aluminum, not titanium) running OS X 10.4.11, and I'm trying to install a program that runs with Classic. When I try to install the program, the Classic app opens, and it gives me a message, saying, "Classic cannot find a Mac OS 9 system folder on the startup disk to use." I read here that I need to use a disk called "Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test." I don't have the disks for my computer anymore, I just have a Tiger install disk. I also have a disk image of the OS 9 install disk, but I don't know if I need it for this. Where can I get the "Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test" disk, and how can I install Classic support?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 11:36 AM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2016 5:28 PM in response to corpsedrill

What you actually need is a way to get a Mac OS 9.2.2 System Folder on your Mac's drive. You then set System Preferences Classic pane to use that System Folder for the Classic environment, so that Mac OS X can run "classic" (Mac OS 9 and earlier) applications.

Since you cannot obtain the disc for installing that System Folder, here's one way you can get it through a download from Apple.

NOTE: The info below is edited from something I wrote many years ago. I assume it still works as described, since the old download link is still active. The procedure is described, as I performed then on my old Mac running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11.

Apple has a download called "NetBoot for Mac OS 9." It is available here

NetBoot for Mac OS 9: Information and Download

This download contains a System Folder for Mac OS 9.2.2. The downloaded file is called NetBoot9.dmg. Mount the NetBoot9.dmg disk image. The disk image has four language folders inside. Inside the English folder, there is a file called NetBoot.pkg.

Right (or Control) click on NetBoot.pkg, and select Show Package Contents (from the contextual menu). A Finder window opens. Go into the folder called Contents, and then into Resources. Find the file called NetBoot.pax.gz and drag it to the Desktop (or any other location). This is an archive file.

Double-click NetBoot.pax.gz to have Archive Utility extract a folder called NetBootInstallation. When double-clicking the NetBootInstallation folder, you may get an error message about "access privileges." Right (or Control) click on the folder and select Get Info. In the Info window, toward the bottom where it says Ownership & Permissions, set it to (You can) Read & Write. Now, open the NetBootInstallation folder.

Find the file called NetBoot HD.img and double-click it to mount this disk image. Inside the disk image, there is a System Folder, and also a folder with some Mac OS 9 apps. This System Folder is 9.2.2, and it seems to contain all the components needed for any Mac that can officially boot Mac OS 9.2.2 or run it as Classic under Mac OS X.

Drag this System Folder to the Mac's hard drive. The standard location is at the top (root) level, but you can place it anywhere. If you want the included Mac OS 9 apps, also copy the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder.

At this point, go to System Preferences Classic pane and select that System Folder for Classic. Click the Start button to run the Classic environment. After a few messages about updates, Classic startup completes, and you can run Mac OS 9 apps.

OPTIONAL: While running any Mac OS 9 app with Classic, go to the Apple Menu and select Control Panels, then Extensions Manager. You can disable (many) extensions, control panels, and other items that you do not need when using a Mac OS 9 System Folder for Classic, because Mac OS X is handling most of the support functions. Doing so can make Classic run more efficiently and reliably. Here's an old article with good info

http://lowendmac.com/practical/02/0507.html

May 11, 2016 4:17 PM in response to corpsedrill

Hi corpsedrill,

Your computer came with a gray disc labeled "Mac OS 9 Install Disc". Install the software on that, and you should be good to go! But if you don't have that disc, then start searching eBay for some Mac OS 9 install disc THAT IS GRAY!!! Don't buy the retail copy with the big, orange 9 on the front of it as this will not work. Make sure the disc is a gray disc, and also make sure the seller says something about "Classic Support".

Hope this helps,

HFTaylor12

Installing Classic support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.