Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't install Snow Leopard on my MacBook.

I have a MacBook (I think that it's 2007). It was running Snow Leopard, but then I decided to re-install OS X. I took my (official) OS X 10.6 install DVD and copied the contents to a USB flash drive using Disk Utility on my MacBook Pro (different computer), since the disk drive is broken on the MacBook. I booted the MacBook from the flash drive, then in the Install OS X screen I went to Utilities in the menu, then Disk Utility. I erased Macintosh HD, and when it was fully erased I went back to the Install OS X screen. I clicked Install, but then it said "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer," and gave me the option to restart my computer or restore from a backup. Can someone please provide an explanation, or even better a solution to this? (By the way, I know that the MacBook is compatible with 10.6 Snow Leopard because I was running it before I wiped my hard drive, and I know that the USB isn't the problem because I was able to install 10.5 Leopard on it from the same USB a while ago).

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 6:33 PM

2 replies

Apr 28, 2016 10:05 PM in response to Xi14

Several items and a few things I do not understand.

Simply copying an installer disc to a flash drive will not make it bootable. Did you use some special process?

Which installer disc? Was this a gray colored disc that came with a different model computer and will only install on that model?

I am not sure about Snow Leopard but some computers which came with a given main version of OSX require a higher sub-version of OSX than provided on the retail disc. A 2007 Mac would have come with something earlier than Snow Leopard and the retail disc should work but you are not certain about the model Mac or the disc itself.

I can't install Snow Leopard on my MacBook.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.