Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 12.9" Screen Darker When Compared to iPad Pro 9.7" and iPad Air 2

While comparing screens at the Apple Store, I noticed all the 12.9" Pros on display had faded screens compared to the new 9.7" Pros, the iPad Air 2, and my own iPhone 6 Plus. I made sure True Tone was off and all display settings were equal. I compared using the calendar app, as the difference was more obvious with a white background. Apple staff were unable to explain the brightness difference, which was seen on the new 9.7" Pro, the older IPad Air, and my own phone. One staff member cited the 9.7" Pro's newer screen technology as the cause, but that doesn't explain why the Air 2 and my iPhone 6 were also brighter.

I want to check at another Apple Store but haven't had the chance to get to one yet. Since I'm sure people on the forums have multiple iPads, I was wondering if you could compare them and see if there is a difference. The 12.9" Pro had a yellowing issue after launch, but I don't think this is the same problem. I haven't been able to find any other mention of this problem online.

I took pictures while I was there. The 12.9" Pro has my reflection on it, but you can still see the faded screen. I wasn't able to get the iPad Air on there because it was on another table. I really want to buy the larger Pro, but not if there's a problem with the screen. This fading was seen on all the Pros they had on display.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 10:53 AM

14 replies

May 6, 2016 7:51 PM in response to elcpu

elcpu,

I know what you said, and I wanted to remind you older tech had screen brightnesses greater than the 12.9 Pro and possibly equal to the 9.7 Pro.

Does your article you cited measure the brightness of these older devices?

If this is the case, the 12.9 Pro screen is darker than all the other iOS devices made in the last few years by Apple.

May 8, 2016 4:54 AM in response to sallenmd

sallenmd,

Thanks for the info. That's good to hear. I went to another Apple Store and noticed the same dim screen on the 12.9 iPads. I spoke with a guy there and he said the screen was made that way due to the backlight having to illuminate a larger area, along with Apple installing a special iOS on the iPads that ramps up their hardware in a way good for displaying on a table, but not good for consumers to purchase. Which is why the Air and 9.7 Pro have brighter screens. So that's interesting, and something I hadn't heard before.

But that's the sort of info I was looking for too. Anything that told me this was intentional, and not a sign of the backlight failing after being out less than a year. I found this article below that gets into the nitty gritty with the displays too, and it notes the screen brightness levels are fairly equal between the Pro and Air models.

What this doesn't rule out though is if the backlight fades after time. It would be interesting to hear from someone who bought an iPad Pro when it first came out last year and see how its holding up.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_2015_ShootOut_1.htm

<Edited by Host>

iPad Pro 12.9" Screen Darker When Compared to iPad Pro 9.7" and iPad Air 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.