Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 3 Stuck Charging (No Apple Logo)

Hi,

After not using my iPad a few months I tried to charge it, the battery was drained and it wouldn't charge. So I left it charging for 17 hours, it didn't even charge a little bit (I guess). And the only two screens I can get are these two.

I tried forcing it into recovery mode, I tried to power it on. Nothing works, it won't connect to iTunes, I can't even get the Apple logo.

Please help me fixing this old guy...

Thank you!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPad, iOS 8.1, don't remember which ios

Posted on May 1, 2016 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 5:50 AM

How old is the iPad? And have you tried using a different charger

6 replies

May 1, 2016 6:19 AM in response to Community User

I am sorry to tell you but if the battery on your iPad was allowed to discharge and then stored for months as you mentioned, the battery is likely damaged beyond repair. Lithium-Ion batteries cannot be allowed to fully discharge. When the iPad says 0% it still has some charge on it but if the iPad is then stored for months it will continue to discharge. The only remedy is to replace the battery and that is better left to an Apple Store or authorized repair place as the battery is glued to the back of the iPad.

May 1, 2016 6:52 AM in response to Community User

It is an old iPad, probably 3 years old... Can anybody tell me which picture above shows if it's charging? The one with the 30 pin connector image or the one without it?

I don't think if it has battery damage, don't ask me why. Any other suggestions?

May 1, 2016 9:39 AM in response to Community User

I Don't have much confidence that this will work, but you have little to lose.

Try a forced restart. First, unplug the iPad from the wall charger, then hold down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds (or maybe even a little longer if needed) until the Apple logo appears on the screen. If it starts or shows anything at all like the Apple logo on the screen, try plugging it back in to recharge or connect to iTunes and try to restore using recovery mode.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

May 1, 2016 9:45 AM in response to Community User

This excellent User Tip by Lawrence Finch could help explain what happens to batteries when they are left discharged:

When to charge your iPhone or iPad

It states:

When the phone shuts off at 0% it really isn't zero; there's still sufficient charge on the device to prevent the battery from going completely flat.

The worst thing you can do is drain the battery to 0%, then not charge it immediately. After it reaches zero and shuts off there's a small amount of energy left, but if you leave it uncharged for long it WILL go flat and kill the battery. So if it reaches zero, charge it soon (within hours). And never leave a phone unused for weeks or months on end without periodically recharging it.

iPad 3 Stuck Charging (No Apple Logo)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.