Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot login when Filevault is enabled

Has anybody else had the issue where they have to turn off filevault encryption in recovery mode or they cannot login?

The issue started a few weeks ago, when I started having to turn off the computer and reset PRAM. This would be needed to get my built-in keyboard and trackpad to function at the login prompt after coming out of sleep.

This last week even the PRAM reset would not correct the issue and thankfully the password reset function of the recovery mode led me to disable my filevault encryption. This made it possible to login and get into my desktop.

I then went through a few basic checks from terminal to check for disk errors or file permissions errors and it came up clean.

I then turned encryption back on for my HD and the problem came back at the login screen.

I have since turned off filevault until I can figure out what is going on.

I did notice that this problem could be tied to my use of my MacID software that allows me to use my iPhone fingerprint reader to unlock my MacBook.

I started using that software at roughly the same time that this issue started occurring. Has this issue been noted in the past?

If so, what are the best work solutions?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), Using MacID software for login

Posted on May 1, 2016 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2017 8:41 AM

@autosuggested Yes, the hardware replacements permanently solved the problem.

Also, when I had the problem, I had similar success logging in with an external keyboard and mouse (both bluetooth and USB). That helped mitigate the problem until I was able to send the macbook in to Apple for repair.

20 replies

May 2, 2016 12:57 PM in response to lowkey_jones

Same here... the issue start to appear about a month ago. Have a case opened at Apple.... updated the software and even re-install the whole thing from scratch to the factory default image then re-enable FileVault, the same thing happened again.

One interesting thing is the keyboard is actually responding every 8 to 10 seconds in the logon screen, and you have about half a second window to enter your password. If you do it slowly and nicely, you should be able to input your password and logon.

Bringing mine to the shop for further troubleshooting.

May 2, 2016 2:53 PM in response to lowkey_jones

I was on 10.11.3 when the problem appeared. The Apple support suggested to upgrade to 10.11.4.

I did try to upgrade to 10.11.4, hope it could fix it but no luck. I disabled FileVault on 10.11.3 --> upgrade to 10.11.4 --> re-enable FileVault on 10.11.4 --> same result.

Then the last resort is to re-install the whole thing. I simply copy all the data files out, then re-install the entire OS 10.11.4, and enable FileVault. Wait until the encryption to finish. Then reboot again and the problem shows up.

I want to ensure everything is clean so no TimeMachine restore.

May 3, 2016 2:56 AM in response to henlau11

My solution for the meantime is to just run without filevault enabled.

I wonder though if this could be a problem of the password not syncing up properly after enabling filevault.

Apparently, there are some terminal commands options that can force the password to sync to both the OS X account and the filevault boot login password.

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2015/02/02/managing-yosemites-filevault-2-with -fdesetup/

Also interesting

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/12/18/ten-things-you-might-not-know-about -filevault-2/

May 22, 2016 4:01 PM in response to lowkey_jones

I have found that with FV2 enabled you can reboot back into the OS X login screen bypassing the pre-boot login.

You have to use the terminal command: sudo fdesetup authrestart

It will ask for your root or FV2 password then reboot quickly up to your OS X login versus the pre-boot login screen.

That helps a little at least.

Any luck with the clean install?

May 24, 2016 7:51 AM in response to lowkey_jones

The clean install of 10.11.5 doesn't help too.

Brought the Mac to the store for diagnosis and the suggestion is to replace the connection cable of the keyboard and trackpad. I'm not convince of how it can fix the issue but just give it a try. Awaiting the parts/schedule now.

For the command "sudo fdesetup authrestart", if I use it, do you know how to revert it back to normal ? ...as I still have to show them the issue.

Cannot login when Filevault is enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.