Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whatsapp restoring from iCloud not working

Hi,

I have had a problem with my whatsapp and I am trying to recover my chat history from iCloud. I backed up my iphone on iCloud two days ago but when I try to restore my whatsapp it says that my iCloud backup inside whatsapp is from 3 months ago. I don't understand what's the difference between "iCloud documents & data backup" (that includes a copy of whatsapp sizing 4Gb and was done 2 days ago) and the iCloud backup that you can do inside whatsapp (preferences->chats->chats backup) that sizes 800Mb and was done 3 months ago. When I start whatsapp I'm not able to choose "iCloud documents & data backup" and it just let me choose "whatsapp iCloud backup". Thats really tricky! Could anybody help me?

I have an iPhone 4 and iOS 7.1.2.

Thanks a lot!

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on May 2, 2016 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2017 10:10 AM

User uploaded fileI backed up my data from icloud directly in settings>icloud>backup now, and not from whats app. My iclod account shows that data is there but whats app backup shows that no data is available. What should I do to retrieve my iclod whats app backup in this situation?

18 replies

Jul 25, 2017 5:47 PM in response to rousiu

I had a similar problem when restoring an iPhone with an iCloud backup. All my apps reloaded but WhatsApp continued to have the waiting sign displayed. I was hesitant to delete just the whatsapp app and try and reload it due to losing info. After numerous attempts powering down and turning on the phone, two days later I tried to delete the app. Within seconds the loading logo was displayed on the app and it installed fully with all my media, photos groups etc.

May 2, 2016 12:49 PM in response to rousiu

Backing up your phone via iCloud, versus backing up your WhatsApp via their app are two different processes. I would say then, that trying to restore WhatsApp via their app would have the app searching for a backup made within the app.

However, to be absolutely sure of this, since I do not use this product, your best course of action is to contact WhatsApp support and ask them how their internal app backup works, since that is not an Apple product.

May 2, 2016 1:21 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you very much for your quick answer. Yes, I understand that restoring whatsapp via the app just let me choose the app backups... but I've restored the entire iPhone via iCloud backup and it doesn't worked. The app seems to use only its own backups and the iClouds backup seem to do nothing. How do I restore whatsapp via iCloud documents and data backup and not the inside app backups? There's no way to choose that option.

I will contact whatsapp support too.

Thanks!

Whatsapp restoring from iCloud not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.