Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Requesting additional help - tagging?

There are times when one knows another poster would be able to solve the problem or at least shed some more light when first line trouble shooting options are exhausted

Is there a way of tagging another senior poster using the @ function? Or are we relying somewhat on chance for the expert to notice the thread and chime in?

I completely understand the every poster here is a volunteer and donates of their time and expertise - this is not meant to impose on any of their generosity and graciousness but perhaps a nudge in the sense of "If you are here at some point - could you please take a look at ..."

Is that even possible?

Thank you for any insight

Posted on May 3, 2016 8:03 AM

23 replies

May 3, 2016 8:07 AM in response to ManSinha

Once you have enough points to get to the lounge you can post a thread asking for assistance from another lounge member assuming they frequent those environs. You can also check the activity of the member you are referring to and find a thread they are participating in and post there with a link. Past that you can just wait, there is no way to tag anyone.

May 3, 2016 8:32 AM in response to ManSinha

When you mention someone in a discussion, I think that they can get a notification. I am mentioning ChitlinsCC. let's see if he responds.

Otherwise, you can try tracking someone down via their activity stream. When you gain access to the lounge (8000 points) you can put out a batcall. There is no formal or built in way to communicate with another member here,

EDIT - thanks to my super typing skills, it looks like I posted the same information that deggie posted. That was not my intent. Too slow again on my part.

May 3, 2016 8:37 AM in response to Demo

Thank you Demo

That is exactly what my reference to tagging meant - was not sure if it did anything at all

However - as per a post from turingtest2 yesterday - I wondered if the tagging was also dependent on the permissions for emails from the activity stream and so forth

Yep if ChitlinsCC gets here - wonder if he has been able to come with up a better way of using the tag (I have to copy the link from somewhere). Simply using @ in front of the poster's name does not work - when I have opened the HTML code behind it - it relates to the website - people and then the name - copy and paste seems easier

Thanks for chiming in - you guys' mentoring has been invaluable!

May 3, 2016 9:14 AM in response to ManSinha

The Unaltered JiveSoftware has the feature - it plays an integral part in the concept of community collaboration. Apple has buried the feature for "the masses" - I am not sure that I disagree totally, since this is (purportedly) the largest community of its kind in the world (do the math merely using sales figures!) Apple has the data, I wish they would share it!

May 3, 2016 12:37 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

As for mentioning someone in a post - that only works if that person has notifications/emails enabled. For instance, I do not. I get no emails at all. So, I would not get the message.

That's not exactly how it works. I don't have email notifications enabled either, but I do get the mentioned notifications.

Requesting additional help - tagging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.