Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with New iPhone - wrong iOS for backup from Cloud

Today I received my new iPhone 6S. When I try to set up the phone and download all my backup info from the cloud I'm receiving an error message that says new phone is at iOS 9.1 - backups from old phone 6 (no longer working) are iOS 9.3.1 - Thus I'm stuck. Happy to upgrade the software but....

I can't move forward and am nervous about losing all my data/pictures if I choose "NEW PHONE"

PLEASE HELP. I've been without my iPhone since Sunday.... was so excited when it arrived today....now I'm losing my mind!

Kim

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.1

Posted on May 4, 2016 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 2:18 PM

Set it up as a new phone. Do not restore the backup. Then update iOS. After updating, Erase it (Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. After the erase, restore the iCloud backup.

You can not restore a backup made with a newer version of iOS to a device running an older version.

4 replies

Issue with New iPhone - wrong iOS for backup from Cloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.