Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to safely upgrade to OS 9, with huge iPhoto 8.1.2 library?

My iPhoto ’09 8.1.2 library has more than 50,000 photos. I have OS X 10.6.8 - yes, I know they are old.

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I could not upgrade iPhoto and OS earlier.

How can I safely move my huge iPhoto library when I upgrade OS X 10.9 or newer? (I'd like to use a program which requires OS X 10.9 or later.)

Any advice on which OS X would be safest?

Will metadata be preserved in the move?

Is it advisable to rebuild or repair iPhoto library before installing new OS X?

To free up space on my laptop, 2 years ago, I moved my iPhoto library to an external HD; it is no longer on laptop. I have 2 additional backups of the library on other external HDs. Even so, iPhoto sometimes stalls /cursor spins, and I must quit, or force quit.

I also have Time Machine backups on 2 external HDs.

If I move from iPhoto to Photos, will the event groupings disappear?

😕 I’m very nervous about destroying, losing or damaging the huge photo library while updating to OS X 9 or above.

Also, I use Word (Microsoft Office for Mac 2008) for work -- will this function on OS 9 and later?

Thanks in advance for your help.

mid 2009 MacBook Pro OS x 10.6.8

iPhoto ’09 version 8.1.2 (my computer’s original version of iPhoto)

Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

Memory: 2 x 4 GB

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPhoto 09 now, but upgrading OS X

Posted on May 4, 2016 6:21 PM

8 replies

May 4, 2016 7:25 PM in response to saltysails

You are way behind (about 8 years) and there is no real good option anymore except to move to El Captain and Photos which is a new and different program with a learning curve (even if you were up to date with iPhoto '11 before upgrading) and the probability that you will have to upgrade most of your software increasing your learning curve

I'm not sure what is best - but in the future I suggest you keep up to date and do not lag behind - it works out better

LN

May 5, 2016 6:21 AM in response to saltysails

Read these links, back up everything, verify that your system meets the system requirements and upgrade and then set about learning the new software and resolving issues

How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

Photos 2.0 vs iPhoto 9.6.1: Features and Capabilities

LN

May 5, 2016 2:38 PM in response to saltysails

I recommend you increase your RAM to 8 GB from either Crucial.com or otherworldcomputing.com. 4 GB is the minimum RAM needed for El Captian with newer machines. For older machines to work efficiently you really need 8 GB or more.

Before upgrading the system launch iPhoto with the Option+Command keys held down and repair the library's permissions, database, etc., in order to have as a trouble free migration as possible to Photos.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 5, 2016 2:38 PM in response to saltysails

No it is not necessary unless you have problems in your iPhoto library - so it is a very good idea to clean things up before upgrading

And yes a bootable clone is a good idea - I make one every day automatically in addition to my hourly TieMachine backups - after a major upgrade I turn the clone off for a few days or weeks just in case

LN

How to safely upgrade to OS 9, with huge iPhoto 8.1.2 library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.