Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Send Private Message?

How do I send a private message to another participant in an Spple Discussion

thread?

iPhone 6, Windows 10, iOS 9.3.1 Apple TV 3genRevA, QTpro

Posted on May 4, 2016 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 5:37 PM

There is no provision within ASC to do so.

21 replies

May 4, 2016 6:13 PM in response to cyberbiker

Providing personal data like that would be a major invasion of privacy. We continually warn posters about putting their information in threads. Since this is a public forum, people's personal information must be protected. And fairly certain that most people would not want to be contacted by a complete stranger asking them to follow up on a post they had done in the past....

Cheers,

GB

May 4, 2016 7:40 PM in response to cyberbiker

Additionally, we are all volunteers and not Apple employees, so we spend whatever time we can here and, although I enjoy helping people (after all, that is why I am here), I would not appreciate getting emails unless this was a (paid) job and a requirement. Additonally, there is always a safey concern online - I've been stalked a couple of times.

May 4, 2016 8:05 PM in response to gail from maine

It seems some of you are missing the point. Forums across the Internet include Private Messaging and they all include an option in user preferences to receive private messages or not. one of the purposes is to permit a method of sharing information that one does not want to include in a thread.

THe discussions we have in forums are not meant to replace tech support or customer service. They are to share knowledge with oth users or potential users. I too have volunteered to assist in forums in a variety of areas across the Internet.

in the Apple Discussions I have threads going back to August 2006.. When a single thread ran three years ago over a span of 18 months and 84 messages, and a single person's comment contained potential solution you had not trieD, but no results were reported, it makes more sense to send a private message to that one person, who may have unfollowed the thread, than to add the query to all those still following the thread.

APple Discussions is one of the few forums that doesn't include private messaging. There's a reason why so many others do.

May 4, 2016 8:29 PM in response to cyberbiker

I'm not missing the point. As babowa pointed out, getting an email from someone 3 months after I posted in a thread here would not be something that would be welcome. I check all of the threads I have participated in for any new comments. Oftentimes, I respond to someone who as added to a thread that is three years old.

tt2 provided you with the best way to get a follow-up answer, and that would be to add a post to the thread that you are interested in, replying to the specific poster who you are asking the question of. As those of us who volunteer here often, we check our threads, and if we see a new post we see what it is all about. If we can help further we do. If your question is directed to another person, but we have new info, we provide it. That's just how it works here.

And like babowa, I would rather not have to deal with someone stalking me.

Cheers,

GB

May 4, 2016 9:41 PM in response to cyberbiker

When we are searching for solutions to a problem and, upon searching the forums, find someone who was trying to solve a similar problem in a thread several months old, we cannot query his or her results unless hshe is still actively following the old thread. Major loss.

Cyber --

Good post, IMHO. If you are currently looking for a solution, rather than rely on someone's else's thread . . . Why not post your own new thread, giving your specific situation, symptoms, etc.

Your comments, I hope, will remind posters here why it's so important to give feedback in their posts. Finding a solution and then just going away doesn't help anyone.

How to Send Private Message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.