Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer files via USB cable to iPad?

Hey guys, I want to transfer some video files to my iPad Mini 3 as I don't want to use the wireless method. I can't plugin an external USB HDD to my iPad Mini 3 like my friend can with his Android device so what can I do?

Thanks for any help!

Mac mini

Posted on May 5, 2016 3:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2017 7:18 PM

Is there a way I can use the adapter to plug a flash drive into my lightning iPad or iPhone to read the PDFs? If so, where will I be able to find the PDF files?

No.

That accessory does one thing. It allows certain video and photo files to be moved between an SD card and the Photos app.

Period.

http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

User uploaded file

No accessory will give you full access to the iOS filesystem.

iOS is not Android, Or Windows. Or even macOS.

It is a closed filesystem.

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2017 7:18 PM in response to BillGS

Is there a way I can use the adapter to plug a flash drive into my lightning iPad or iPhone to read the PDFs? If so, where will I be able to find the PDF files?

No.

That accessory does one thing. It allows certain video and photo files to be moved between an SD card and the Photos app.

Period.

http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

User uploaded file

No accessory will give you full access to the iOS filesystem.

iOS is not Android, Or Windows. Or even macOS.

It is a closed filesystem.

Mar 25, 2017 7:10 PM in response to NewbMacUser

I have a very similar problem. I have a USB Flash Drive with PDF files that I'd like to access on my iPad. Before seeing this discussion, I bought an Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, expecting it to fill my need. It did not. Is there a way I can use the adapter to plug a flash drive into my lightning iPad or iPhone to read the PDFs? If so, where will I be able to find the PDF files?

May 5, 2016 5:43 AM in response to NewbMacUser

You can use iTunes to transfer files to individual apps, if they support the file type, or to the appropriate iOS app (videos to the video player, for example, music to the music app, photos to the Photo's app, etc). Or you can use iCloud from your PC to place those files into your iCloud drive storage area and use iCloud drive in iOS to download them and open them in an app that supports the file type.

May 5, 2016 6:22 AM in response to NewbMacUser

Your question was can you access your iOS device like your friend can access his Android device. No.

You can absolutely transfer files using iTunes and a USB cable. Unlike an Android device.

That device is for copying files FROM an iPad to somewhere else, or streaming from it for videos. You still can't copy and paste into the iOS filesystem, because there isn't one visible to you.

May 5, 2016 6:46 AM in response to NewbMacUser

To use these special flash drives for iDevices, for the SanDisk devices, SanDisk uses their own proprietary apps to access their drives and access the iPad's operating system to move data back and forth from the their drives from various apps.

SanDisk's apps are available in the iOS App Store for their various iDevice compatible drives.

To see what these drives and apps combinations do seardh the App Store for SanDisk

I use their 128 WifI USB SanDisk connect drive that uses a bulit-in WiFi transmitter to send out a WIFi signal that your iDevice can connect to to wireless transfer , back and forth between iDevices and the wireless drive, various types of data like documents, PDFs, eBooks, videos and images.

May 5, 2016 6:46 AM in response to LACAllen

I'm starting to understand how these devices work!

I just want to transfer files to my iPad Mini in a way doesn't involve the internet at all and is just an isolated and direct file transfer. Which is the safest way for me to do this? I mean "safe" in the sense that there's no chance that the file transfer is linked to the internet at all.

Thanks a lot!

May 5, 2016 6:51 AM in response to NewbMacUser

These Wifi style drives DO NOT ACCESS the Internet, at all.

They generate a bulit-in, isolated WiFi signal of their own to connect up to the drive wirelessly via Wifi signals.

No Internet involved.

The other San Disk Flash Drive I linked to is one that you can directly connect to an iPad, but it maybe needs to be accessed by one of SanDisk's own proprietary, free apps that allow the drive to be seen and accessed by the iDevice it is connected to.

How to transfer files via USB cable to iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.