Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SuperDrive doesn't accept disks.

Hello there.

I've bought the new MacBook (2016) with Apple SuperDrive. I've also bought an adapter to be capable of using it. See here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B019PHF9UY/ref=psdc_281413_t1_B015YRD8PC

Before my hub had came, I tried the superdrive with a windows pc. It has worked properly, there was no problem with it.

And now I'm trying to get it work for my Macbook which I've been incapable of doing it so far. I've tried a lot of solutions I could find on the internet (Rebooting with the superdrive connected, when rebooting again clicking mouse button, PRAM reset, Resetting SMC (System Management Controller), editing "the apple.Boot.plist" file, (see here: Re: superdrive not loading discs after upgrading to el capitanRe: superdrive not loading discs after upgrading to el capitan). Everything I could find.

And my hub works propely with two of the usb ports with other usb type-a devices.

Can you help me with this problem?

Thank you.

Posted on May 6, 2016 11:46 AM

22 replies

May 6, 2016 12:00 PM in response to Erchamion123

It's probably your adapter not being able to supply suffucient current to the Superdrive. If you had a powered USB hub, it would probably work.

I have the Apple USB-C to USB-A and use it with the Superdrive on a 12" MacBook Early 2015.

You're going to need a minimum of 500 ma to power it. Check your System Report:

User uploaded file

May 6, 2016 12:07 PM in response to Erchamion123

The adapter works, it doesn't need power to work. The power is supplied by the MacBook. The issue with your adpater is most likely because power is being split among its 2 USB-A ports and the card reader. USB devices that don't draw much power, i.e., keyboards, mice, thumb drives, will probaly work, but a DVD drive requires more current.

Use your System Report to see how it is allocating power.

May 6, 2016 12:28 PM in response to Erchamion123

It is not a powered USB hub as well?

That would depend on the specifications for the adapter. It could be that the power supplied by the power supply is only being used to charge the MacBook's battery, or that it can't be split 3 ways, i.e., the 2 USB-A ports and the card reader in such away to alocate sufficient current to a current hungry device like the Super drive.

Have you tried using the Superdrive as the only attached device?

May 6, 2016 12:49 PM in response to Lanny

Btw, the producer of this adapter says SD card slot and microSD card slot doesn't work at the same time. Does this have something to do with this?

But I can use microSD slot, a mouse and a 1 TB external HDD at the same time, without causing a problem.

When I remove the adapter, it looks like this:

User uploaded file

When I connected the adapter (without anything else is connected to it) it looks like this:

User uploaded file

I don't know if these help.

May 6, 2016 12:53 PM in response to Lanny

Oh yes. My mouse is also USB 2.0.

Yep, I've tried the SuperDrive connected only, without anything else. I've also tried superdrive only with macbook connecte to it's power source as well.

I can still hear the sound. Can't be this related to software? Because while I was searching I've encountered a lot of comments saying this is because of El-Capitan, in Yosemite it was working properly.

SuperDrive doesn't accept disks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.