Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a new Apple ID and transferring of data and settings to a new iPhone

If I share an Apple ID with someone else, what are the ramifications of creating and using a new Apple ID and will I lose any iPhone settings or data if I use the new Apple ID I have created?

I also want to move all my data and settings from my current iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 but not entirely sure how to do this as I share my Apple ID with my father and want all my data and settings correctly transferred to the new phone. Please help.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2, null

Posted on May 15, 2016 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2016 6:56 PM

If you create a new Apple ID

1. You will have to re purchase any apps you have with the old ones

2. You may be able to still use some apps and music by using Family sharing

iCloud Family Sharing - Apple Support

3. You will be able to stop inadvertent message sharing if you use the Apple ID to send/receive

4. Transferring data and content to a new phone is most easily accomplished by backing up to iTunes on a computer and restoring that on to the new phone during set up

Transfer content from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device - Apple Support

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2016 6:56 PM in response to cardocardo

If you create a new Apple ID

1. You will have to re purchase any apps you have with the old ones

2. You may be able to still use some apps and music by using Family sharing

iCloud Family Sharing - Apple Support

3. You will be able to stop inadvertent message sharing if you use the Apple ID to send/receive

4. Transferring data and content to a new phone is most easily accomplished by backing up to iTunes on a computer and restoring that on to the new phone during set up

Transfer content from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device - Apple Support

May 17, 2016 7:45 AM in response to cardocardo

If you back up with iTunes on a Mac, storing onto the local hard drive AND with password protection AND you have iTunes configured to keep a local library of all your apps/music/videos/books/etc., then the entire contents of the device gets saved and can be restored onto the same or another compatible device with a result that is identical to the original. Right down to screen layouts, game scores, passwords* and the like. The backup contains pointers that enable iTunes to restore the apps/music/videos/books from the local library if the items are found there, and also any private data/documents associated to each app. Been there, done that, 6 times already, no data loss at all. Can't vouch for anything that deviates from this specific arrangement since I have not done it.

*ALL passwords except that of the AppleID it is registered to and, interestingly, any VPN password, No idea why this last part.

May 17, 2016 7:10 AM in response to ManSinha

Thanks for your help.

Please clarify point one as it is unclear to me.

If I create a new Apple ID what exactly will I lose in terms of photo's, apps, data, settings, contacts, notes, etc?

The new iPhone 5 that I want to transfer all my data and settings to from the iPhone 4, is actually a 2nd hand phone with data on already. Do I need to delete everything on the iPhone 5 before I restore to it from iTunes or iCloud? If so, how?

May 17, 2016 7:54 AM in response to cardocardo

cardocardo wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Please clarify point one as it is unclear to me.

If I create a new Apple ID what exactly will I lose in terms of photo's, apps, data, settings, contacts, notes, etc?

The new iPhone 5 that I want to transfer all my data and settings to from the iPhone 4, is actually a 2nd hand phone with data on already. Do I need to delete everything on the iPhone 5 before I restore to it from iTunes or iCloud? If so, how?

If the existing Apple ID is using iCloud for Photos, Contacts, Calendars, Notes, and Messages, then when you sign the new ID into iCloud, the only one of those that you will have the option to keep (and then merge with the new iCloud account) is Contacts. All of the other items are directly tied to the other iCloud account, so they would no longer be on the device.

Note: if you have Photos imported to the Mac, you can sync photos back to the device. If the existing Apple ID is using iCloud Photo Library, then you would not have access to that. Photos, however, can be put into albums and shared with the new ID.

You do need to delete everything on the iPhone 5 in order to restore from a backup. You can do this by going to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content & Settings. Best to do that right away to make sure that the device is not locked to a previous owner.

Best of luck,

GB

May 17, 2016 12:43 PM in response to gail from maine

Much appreciate your help "gail from maine".

1. If I use a PC and the existing Apple ID is using iCloud to backup to, then when I create a new Apple ID and log into iCloud, will the only thing that I can recover and keep from my old iPhone 4 be my "Contacts"?

2. With reference to point 1 above, if I am only able to recover and keep my "Contacts" from my old iPhone 4 via iCloud, then how do I acquire the other data and settings that you have alluded to like Photos, Calendars, Notes, Messages, Apps, App data, etc for the new device, i.e. the 2nd hand iPhone 5?

May 17, 2016 12:58 PM in response to cardocardo

cardocardo wrote:

Much appreciate your help "gail from maine".

1. If I use a PC and the existing Apple ID is using iCloud to backup to, then when I create a new Apple ID and log into iCloud, will the only thing that I can recover and keep from my old iPhone 4 be my "Contacts"? - Correct, that is all you would be able to merge from the old iCloud account.

2. With reference to point 1 above, if I am only able to recover and keep my "Contacts" from my old iPhone 4 via iCloud, then how do I acquire the other data and settings that you have alluded to like Photos, Calendars, Notes, Messages, Apps, App data, etc for the new device, i.e. the 2nd hand iPhone 5?

For Photos, if you are importing your photos to your PC, you can sync any that you want to the new device. If you are not, then you would want to create a Shared Photo Album and send it to the new Apple ID email address.

I am not aware of a way to merge an existing Calendar to a different Apple ID. Family Sharing provides the ability to have multiple Apple IDs use a single calendar, but that it called the "Family Calendar" and it is created when Family Sharing is set up.

Notes and Messages are tied to the Apple/iCloud ID they are under, so you would not be able to merge them. You could email important notes to yourself.

The Apps and App Data would come from the backup. You can restore from the iCloud backup, and then when the device is set up, sign out of the old Apple/iCloud ID and sign in the new one. That is the point where the Photos, Notes, Messages, etc. would be removed from the device. But when you sign back in that is when you get the opportunity to keep the Contacts on the device. You can also do this same thing via an iTunes backup, but you would sign the old ID into iTunes when asked in order to access that backup.

Here is a support article that walks you through how to set up a new device from either type of backup:

I am curious as to why you would be using a new Apple/iCloud ID when it seems like you want the new device to be a mirror image of the existing one? Much easier to change the Apple ID if that is an option for you.

Cheers,

GB

May 21, 2016 6:56 PM in response to gail from maine

Many thanks "gail from maine" for the thorough response.

Concerning Apps and App data, will the iCloud and iTunes backup restore all free and purchased Apps and App data when I sign out with the old Apple ID and sign in with the new Apple ID on the new device, i.e. the iPhone 5?

The reasons why I am enquiring about creating a new Apple ID and not sharing the current Apple ID with my father is because on many occasions the following happens:

I receive SMS/text messages that are meant for my father;

When someone Facetimes my father my iPhone rings as well;

I receive Apps on my phone that are meant for my father;

When my father adds/deletes certain Contacts on his iPhone then these Contacts are added/deleted on my iPhone as well.

I presume that the only way that these issues can be resolved is if I create a new Apple ID. If not, then can anyone please advise otherwise.

May 21, 2016 8:28 PM in response to cardocardo

You could create a new Apple/iCloud ID (you can actually create an @iCloud.com account by signing out of iCloud on your device. Once you do that, you will see the option to set up a new iCloud account), and then sign that ID into:

iCloud

FaceTime

You could then continue to use the shared Apple ID for the iTunes & App Store. That would retain the Apps and App data that you currently have for that ID. To prevent apps purchased by your father, turn off Automatic Downloads under Settings>iTunes & App Store. If you purchase apps on your computer, you can manually download them to your device by opening the App Store, then click on Updates>Purchased>My Purchases>Not on this Phone. You can then selectively download apps that show up in the list.

By signing into the separate iCloud account for iCloud, FaceTime, and Messages, you will no longer share Contacts, Calendars, Notes, and you will no longer share FaceTime and Messages since they are signed into different IDs.

Cheers,

GB

May 23, 2016 10:03 AM in response to gail from maine

1. Where exactly do I sign out of iCloud on my iPhone 4 to create the new iCloud account?

2. What are the differences between an Apple ID and an iCloud ID?

3. What is the free storage allowance in GB's that Apple allows for iCloud backups per Apple ID?

4. Is it possible for me to utilise the additional iCloud storage space that my father has purchased for the Apple ID that we currently share instead of creating a new Apple ID for myself? If so, how? What are the implications if I share the current Apple ID for the iCloud account with my father in order to utilise a part of his paid storage allowance as I want to avoid any problems?

Thanking you in advance.

May 23, 2016 10:16 AM in response to cardocardo

1. Settings>iCloud and scroll to the bottom. In your iOS version, the option is listed as "Delete Account"

2. Unless you use a separate email address for iTunes & App Store purchases, they are one and the same. Signing in with your Apple ID into iCloud adds the iCloud Services to your Apple ID.

3. 5 GB is given to you for free with your iCloud ID. (You can sign up for 50GB storage for .99¢/month. This is monthly and can be cancelled or changed anytime)

4. You and your father can share the additional storage space that he has signed up for. Your backups will remain separate from one another. The fault of this is that you will have to always keep Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Safari, Notes, Keychain, Photos, and potentially Documents & Data toggled off on your device, or risk sharing/merging these contents with one another. If you share them, if one of you deletes anything related to these sync services, it will be deleted for both of you. (This is why it is recommended to use your own account for iCloud especially)

Note: iMessage and Facetime - You should also check these settings to make sure you are not signed in with your fathers account or you could run the risk of sharing your text messages and FaceTime calls.

Should you upgrade your iPhone to a newer model, you will be at risk of sharing even more like actual phone calls.

Use Continuity to connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac - Apple Support

Creating a new Apple ID and transferring of data and settings to a new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.