Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Not Displaying All Albums in Grid View

Latest version of iTunes, just download 12.4.0.119. A major discrepancy in over 1,600 of my albums no longer show up at all in grid view. They are still there on the HDD, and they do show up in Artist view. Anyone else noticed this bug. Maybe no one in Apple software engineering tests with as many tracks as I have in my collection? All was displaying correctly in previous versions of iTunes, so the latest update has broken something. I have reported the bug to Apple, but I guess they get thousands of submissions every day...

User uploaded file

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 32Gb RAM, 3Tb Fusion Drive, M395X

Posted on May 17, 2016 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2016 12:56 AM

This is happening to me too, and in my case it appears to be that albums marked as 'Compilation' are not showing in grid view. Is that the case for you too? The music is still, there and, as you say, can be viewed through the 'Artist' menu. Presumably just a bug as I can't see why it would be logical to hide compilation albums from the album view pane.

56 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2016 12:56 AM in response to MalenySteve

This is happening to me too, and in my case it appears to be that albums marked as 'Compilation' are not showing in grid view. Is that the case for you too? The music is still, there and, as you say, can be viewed through the 'Artist' menu. Presumably just a bug as I can't see why it would be logical to hide compilation albums from the album view pane.

May 17, 2016 2:39 PM in response to TJF1973

In my case it is way more than just compilation albums. I did some experimenting with a smart playlist with criteria I know will choose albums that are missing from Grid view, and sure enough they are also invisible in grid view in the smart playlist but show up in track view. It must be some of the content in the metadata of the tracks that is causing the issue? I have 776 compilation albums, you can see the figures in my screen grabs images.

And also, I checked out in song view: if I select all genres and all artists and all albums the total tracks is 38,336 which agrees with the number at the bottom of the screen in Artist view. However, in Artists view the top All Artists tab shows 39,771 songs which I have figured out is also counting in 1,356 audio book tracks and unplayed podcast tracks which should not be included in music view stats. And in Song view the total albums shows as 3,197 where as in Artist view it shows as 4,078 albums. And I cannot work that one out. It seems the new arrangement splitting music from books from tv from film from podcasts and probably also from apps is the root of the issue. There is a lot of work for them to do on this...

May 18, 2016 12:56 AM in response to MalenySteve

I had this issue as well. It took a bit for me to discover what the problem was...

It seems that Apple decided it's a good idea to put non-compilation albums under "Albums" and create a separate section called "Compilations" for compilation albums (the ones where you ticked the box "this is a compilation" and left the Album Artist field blank). I checked the number of songs showing up in Albums and in Compilation, and the sum perfectly matches the number of tracks I see in the Artists section.

To see Compilations section, first hover around "Library" and you will see "Edit" showing up. Click on it. Then you will see eight items (Recently Added, Artists, Albums, Songs, Genre, Composers, Compilations, Music Videos). Tick the box next to "Compilations" and click "Done". The albums and songs you couldn't find in Albums should all be there.

May 18, 2016 6:12 AM in response to MalenySteve

Music manufactured on devices using mainly Microsoft Products differ from music manufactured on devices using mainly Apple products. When two albums are combined on one computer, other types of file creation devices cause slower response times during media player updates due to information conversion applications of servers, and time restrictions. I have had music in my collection suddenly disappear because certain people involved in the process of maintaining internet connections were not satisfied with work they could not do. When the internet connection is lost during any type of storage transfer, it can cause corruption in file storage making the files inaccessible to the intended recipient.

May 18, 2016 7:09 AM in response to John Huber8

Compilations cause sorting issues when the artists names are longer than your computer's storage capabilities. I only speak English so when I tried to name something with letter characters that do not reflect plain English alphabet texts in the list of album credits, the other artists got confused. I asked them for more character storage capabilities, but the person who sold me my MacBook Pro threatened me because she does not want black people to make money with Apple.

iTunes Not Displaying All Albums in Grid View

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.