Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 wifi causes network disruption

There is an old topic (locked) that seems similar with no answers: iPhone WiFi breaks MacBook network connection

In our house we have:

- Airport Extreme (v2)

- MacBook Pro

- MacBook Air

- iPhone 6

- iPhone 6s

- iPads

We recently noticed our Internet connection was really inconsistent. After some time, we did tests and found that when my wife turned on the wifi of her iPhone 6, every other device would have connectivity issues (slow, dropping in and out, etc). Turn it off, everything is fine, turn it back on, everything gets screwy. We tried looking to see if any apps were using lots of data (Google Photos had just destroyed our wireless bill, so we deleted that, but even with that gone, the issue remained), but nothing was. Though even if I'm doing a huge upload or download on my laptop it does not cause these same issues, so it seems to be a lower-level network issue and NOT just volume of usage. Even with the latest iOS update (9.3.2) the issue persists.

Are there any known issues or fixes (that I'm not seeing via Google search) regarding iPhone network disruption?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on May 17, 2016 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2016 10:41 AM

I have seen this issue reported here before with no clear resolution. The only feature that might explain this is media prioritization on a router. Nonetheless below is a User Tip about Wi-Fi issues. Suggest starting from the top and working down. Maybe one of them will help.

1) Perform a Forced Restart: Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow device to restart.

2) Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.

3) Reboot Router/Modem: Unplug from power for 2 minutes and plug again. Update Router Firmware (check manufacturer’s support website for a newer FW). Also try different bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and different bandwidths (20 MHz recommended for the 2.4 band).

4) Change to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4

5) Disable device prioritization on the router if this feature is available. Also disable any VPN apps and test Wi-Fi again.

6) Determine if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).

7) Try device at another Network, i.e., neighbors’, public coffee house, etc.

8) Backup and Restore the Device using iTunes (ask for additional for details if desired).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

9) Go to an Apple Store for hardware evaluation.

User Tip: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-9892

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2016 10:41 AM in response to Colin Madere

I have seen this issue reported here before with no clear resolution. The only feature that might explain this is media prioritization on a router. Nonetheless below is a User Tip about Wi-Fi issues. Suggest starting from the top and working down. Maybe one of them will help.

1) Perform a Forced Restart: Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow device to restart.

2) Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.

3) Reboot Router/Modem: Unplug from power for 2 minutes and plug again. Update Router Firmware (check manufacturer’s support website for a newer FW). Also try different bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and different bandwidths (20 MHz recommended for the 2.4 band).

4) Change to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4

5) Disable device prioritization on the router if this feature is available. Also disable any VPN apps and test Wi-Fi again.

6) Determine if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).

7) Try device at another Network, i.e., neighbors’, public coffee house, etc.

8) Backup and Restore the Device using iTunes (ask for additional for details if desired).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

9) Go to an Apple Store for hardware evaluation.

User Tip: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-9892

May 17, 2016 10:36 AM in response to elcpu

We've tried: 1, 2, 3, 6 and maybe 7. #5 doesn't apply to my hardware. I saw the tip about changing DNS (#4), but that would seem to be something that would affect all devices, not just one device (unless that one had a broken DNS setting, which if you just cleared and used defaults would then work)?

8 and 9 are next, it seems. I was planning on Apple Store as last resort but given the problem is pretty down in the weeds and also might only be happening on some (my) network, might be hard to get a solution from them.

iPhone 6 wifi causes network disruption

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.