Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud for Windows authentication problem

I have iCloud for Windows V5.2.1.69 running on an up to date version of Windows 10.

I have an up to date version of iTunes, with no problems logging into my account.

I can log into the browser version of iCloud without problems.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the iCloud app three times now, and re-booted each time.

I cannot log into the iCloud windows app though! Every time it says

"An error occurred during authentication. Please try again."

I must have tried 10 times over several hours and still cannot get in!

Has ANYONE managed to log in via the Windows App?

Windows PC-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on May 20, 2016 3:49 AM

29 replies

Jul 7, 2017 1:22 AM in response to dolunaykiz

This doesn't work for me either.

It tried to run with compatibility with WIndows 8 and Administrator, that didn't work.

It then tried to run under Windows XP SP3 compatibility, same error.

Finally, I looked at the Troubleshooting report, which shows:

User uploaded file

Considering I am replying to a thread that is a year old, it's pretty sad that between two giants Microsoft and Apple they can't what must be a fairly common problem!

Feb 6, 2017 2:28 PM in response to dawnfromkt1

Hello,

I had this problem today with icloud 6.1.1 on Windows 10... it just sits there. BRAND NEW Dell computer - everything updated first. what else was strange is that if I rebooted in the middle of it just sitting there, it would then (after the reboot) show me the exact capacity I had and had used, but still wouldn't actually "login"...

so I found these steps worked.

login like normal - in this case not normal since it doesn't actually work... but "try" to login so it will start. then hit cntrl-alt-delete and find the process "apple push (32 bit)" hit end task and then suddenly the iCloud system logged right in... what else is strange is that apple push came back... the only gray area I found was that I might have had to stop it again a second time (during the exact same inital login) to get another part to work... but either case, that was the issue (for me anyway)... I rebooted the computer and it appears to be logged in correctly, and it is certainly syncing with outlook (which it was not before)... - remember to try and login first and during the hang is when you end task of the apple push... mine just zipped right through!

so yeah to that!! hope this helps someone else!!

May 23, 2016 1:12 PM in response to ManSinha

Thanks for the suggestions. Still having problems.

I tried turning off firewall, did not help.

I uninstalled all Apple software (iTunes was not present, the rest of them I removed).
Then reinstalled iCloud, rebooted.

Open iCloud, try to login, get the same error as before, same as Dawn states above:

"An error occurred during authentication. Please try again." Tried it again with firewall off, no change.

I know the login is correct, I can log in to the icloud website.

Also if I try to log in to the icloud control panel with an intentionally incorrect password, it gives me the usual "Your Apple id or Password is incorrect" message,

so this authentication error is something new.

Thanks

May 26, 2016 2:09 PM in response to dawnfromkt1

I'm experiencing a similar issue. I have an old Dell Precision T7400 tower (24GB of RAM and an EVGA NVIDIA 730 2GB GDDR5 graphics card) running the latest release of Windows 10 (64) professional and iTunes 12.4.0.119. I can log into iCloud just fine via various web browsers (wireless 802.11n network), but every time I attempt to log in with the iCloud app (ver. 5.2.0.0 , I'm greeted with the following error (see image). In addition to logging in using the "@icloud.com" account suffix, I also tried the older "@mac.com", & "@me.com" account suffixes as well as right clicking the iCloud app icon and selecting the "more" options followed by the "run as administrator" option, but none of these troubleshooting attempts remedied the issue.

User uploaded file

May 31, 2016 12:56 PM in response to dawnfromkt1

I am currently having the same issue. I am able to log into the iCloud website with my Apple ID and correct password and have even changed the PW to be sure that it's not something to do with that. I have reinstalled the iCloud for Windows application and still when I try and open the iCloud console from the windows menu I get "An error occurred during authentication - Please try again". I have disabled all Firewalls and virus software and that did not help. It was working perfectly fine until recently though I can't tell exactly when I stopped getting the notifications updated in my Outlook calendars. Today I tried turning on "Two Step Authentication" and the only change was that when I put in my iCloud password it asked me for the verification code which came thought fine. I input the code and then it gave me the same error about the authentication. I even tried doing an app specific password and that did not work. It just gave me an incorrect password entered error.

I think that this is a backend processing issue on Apple's end and there is nothing right now that WE as users can do to fix it until they look into it.

Is anyone using calendars from other users or have multiple accounts that they work with? Just trying to think of other issues that may cause this.

Jul 9, 2016 9:54 AM in response to dawnfromkt1

I found this thread today b/c I was having the same issue. I'm running a W7 pro-64 bit install, and I knew my ID etc. to be correct. For what it's worth, and I know it's not an answer as to WHY it's doing it, but this worked for me: I created a shortcut on my desktop, right-clicked on it and the second option down was "troubleshoot compatibility". I ran that following the prompts, and voila, it worked. At the end of the whole thing, I had Windows remember the settings. I am pretty sure it's got nothing to do w/ Windows itself or your firewall, I am on the contrary certain it's the program itself - if this worked, that is the only explanation for me.

Anyway, hope this helps.

User uploaded file

iCloud for Windows authentication problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.