Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing MDM profile from an iPad that I have legally purchased

The IT departement of my school has installed the MDM profile of their server on my iPad. So, my iPad is now under the IT departement control. But the iPad is mine, I have bought my iPad last year with my money, and i have the invoice.

How can i remove the MDM profile on this iPad that i have legally purchased? Can an Apple Store Genius Bar do this operation?

The IT departement has also the serial number of my iPad; so, if the Apple Store remove my iPad from my school MDM, will the it departement be able to add another time my iPad?

iPad Air, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on May 23, 2016 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2016 6:19 AM

You need to take it to an apple store with proof of purchase. Call apple store for details.

Seems more like a dispute with your school. Are you graduating? You may not be able to do certain function like log onto the internet without the profile.

R

23 replies

Oct 17, 2016 2:15 PM in response to aleachi99

Why did they install the profile? Is this a condition of use of the iPad at your school? It might be that this is the only way they'll give you access to their wifi, mail server, etc, and that if you remove the profile, you'll be unable to access these. It might also be that they have a rule that you simply can't use it in class without the profile installed because they want control of what apps are on it.

I assume they'll be happy to remove it for you when you leave the school if you can't do it yourself.

Why do you want to remove it? Is there a restriction you don't like?

Aug 28, 2017 2:02 AM in response to aleachi99

You can remove the MDM by going to Settings > General > Profiles & Device Managament then tap on the school's MDM server profile then tap Remove Management then enter your iPad passcode if you have one. Do this at your own risk since your school will be notified that you removed their MDM profile from your iPad. Hope I helped :)

May 27, 2016 9:25 AM in response to rccharles

In what situation would this be the case? MDM Supervision has to either come from DEP pointing to an MDM server, or a supervision profile from Apple Configurator. In either case, a restore and setup as new will not have the profile. This would be extremely easy for him to test. For a DEP device, it would have to be purchased by the Company and registered with their DEP account at the time of purchase. OP indicated he bought the device himself, and then allowed the school to supervise after the fact, which points to Configurator. I run MDM for several hundred devices and have some experience with the process.

Oct 11, 2016 3:38 AM in response to aleachi99

Hi aleachi99

Are you using your iPad for work? In that case, the school can add your device to an MDM server to track (may be) your device. To the extent of my knowledge, it is not possible to add a device to an MDM without them having the device. I mean, the enrollment process is like this: they send an enrollment request from the MDM server. An Email is received with a link that will guide through the enrollment process. If the link is clicked from your iPad, a profile is installed on your device.

Why don't you try Settings > General > Profile where you can remove an MDM profile (only if your device is not supervised). When the profile is removed, they can never monitor or control your device. If your device is supervised, then there are fewer possibilities that a profile can be removed. I such case, you'll have to tell them to remove your device from MDM. To check whether your device is supervised, go to Settings > General > About and you can see something like "This iPad is supervised" or "This iPad is managed by *** MDM".

After the device is removed from MDM, they cannot enroll it again even if they have the serial number with them. They should have access to the device for adding it to MDM.

May 23, 2016 10:48 AM in response to aleachi99

The question isn't whether you legally own the ipad or not. The question is did the seller follow apple's procedure for turning over the ipad to you. With an mdm, there may not be a way of removing control from an mdm. I do not know.

You should talk to the seller and ask them to remove their control over the device.

If you can do what you want, I wouldn't worry too much. You ipad may eventually brick. Might need to connect to the server to update software or to recover from serious software problem.

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5661

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

Verify that your ios device is free of the activation lock.

How to check if the activation lock is active on a device

https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

May 26, 2016 7:35 AM in response to aleachi99

DEP has more to do with them purchasing it under their PO account with Apple. The easiest way to tell would be to restore, setup as new, and see if it asks for you credentials for your school during the setup process. If it doesnt, you're probably good to go. Once the restore is complete, go to Settings-->General and look for any profiles installed.

Removing MDM profile from an iPad that I have legally purchased

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.