You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't connect to Apple TV via AirPlay

I've seen similar questions/threads and tried everything short of reinstalling the MacBook's operating system, but nothing has worked. Here's the deal:

-I have a new MacBook and Apple TV (both new as of 2015). All software is completely up-to-date on both.

-All other devices (two iPhones, one iPad) connect to Apple TV, mirroring and otherwise, as they're supposed to, with no issues

-Everything (MacBook, Apple TV, modem, wireless router) has been restarted. No other connectivity issues in the house.

-Home sharing and iCloud are turned on (using the same account) on both Apple TV and MacBook.

-Firewall on MacBook is completely off.

YET when I click on the AirPlay icon and then "Apple TV" on my MacBook, I get a pop-up telling me "Could not connect to 'Apple TV'."

The weird thing is that I could at least get the Apple TV to mirror this MacBook's display a few months ago. Now- nothing.

Please help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), Apple TV tvOS 9.2.1 (13Y772)

Posted on May 31, 2016 3:58 AM

17 replies

May 31, 2016 4:47 AM in response to CharethCutestory

Have you replaced your router, or changed its configuration, since it worked?

Is ATV on WiFi or ethernet?

Is MacBook on WiFi or ethernet?

You're having trouble mirroring the computer screen. Are you able to AirPlay a video using the AirPlay in a video player, say YouTube? If that works, you may need to change screen resolution.

Have you ever installed any of the following on the MacBook: Duet, AirParrot, Air Display, iDisplay, Splashtop, ScreenRecycler? There's a long thread here related to mirroring problems caused by these third-party apps. See Airplay won't change to mirror iMac from Extend Desktop

May 31, 2016 5:47 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Neither the router nor any of its settings have been changed since it worked.

Both the MacBook and Apple TV are connected to the Internet via the same WiFi network (i.e. not Ethernet), and both are able to access the Internet on their own with no issues.

I'm not sure I understand the question about AirPlaying a video using the AirPlay in a video player. Are you talking about from the MacBook?

I have not installed any of those programs, nor do I seem to have any files with those as the name on my computer.

May 31, 2016 6:21 AM in response to CharethCutestory

OK, no changes at the router, but software updates on both ATV and MacBook. Something in the updates has created a problem.

You're on the same WiFi network. Are they connected directly to the WiFi generated by the router, or are there access points or repeaters involved?

Yes, I mean on the computer. If you go to YouTube or Vimeo in the browser and select a video, the player window that appears should show an AirPlay icon. Clicking on it should make the video play on the TV. Testing this would determine whether you cannot connect to ATV at all, or if the problem is only mirroring.

Glad to hear you don't have any of those problem programs.

Jun 1, 2016 5:20 AM in response to CharethCutestory

Rats. This is baffling.

You can "see" the ATV, because it's offered in the AirPlay menus. So the usual discovery issues are resolved.

Try looking in the ATV AirPlay settings and make sure that the security modes are all turned off. They may have been enabled by the update. If you were using some form of access control, you may need to re-validate your computer as a trusted device.

Jun 1, 2016 9:25 AM in response to Diana.McCall

This may be a long shot, bu have you tried this Re: Could not connect to Apple TV (2015) on Yosemite (10.10.5) Macbook Pro (Early 2015)?

Also, is your router an Apple AirPort? If so, you might check for updates to its firmware. Someone in the thread referenced above found that it helped. See AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.7.7 Information. It fixes problems affecting communication between clients on the same network...

MacBook Pro won't connect to Apple TV via AirPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.