Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages document to OpenOffice

Hi,

It was recommended to me, here in this community, to upload a large Pages document with many B&W photos into OpenOffice, so that I can create a .pdf version I can upload to Amazon's Create Space, without the formatting change.

However, when I attempt to open the document in OpenOffice a file list appears that is as long as my arm and having guessed at a few possibilities none were able to open the document.

Any suggestions as to which file I should use? And thanks.

Posted on Jun 11, 2016 8:59 AM

15 replies

Jun 11, 2016 9:35 AM in response to MDQ

I don't have Open Office available to confirm but I do have the very similar Libre Office on a Windows 10 computer and if I open it and then choose Open from the File menu, it defaults to "All Files" and if I click on that I get the long list of possible file types; however I can just leave it at "All Files" and it will open a file saved in Word format. In other words, when opening a file there is no need to first select what type of file it is that you want to open. My memory of Open Office is that with it I never needed to first select the type of file I wanted to open.

If you can't replicate that, another approach would be to use Finder, select (single click highlight) the file that you exported from Pages to Word format, then use the command i key combination (or File menu Get Info) and in the "Open With" section of the Get Info window, set it to Open Office Writer.

Jun 11, 2016 9:50 AM in response to MDQ

Export your Pages document to Word, and then just double-click that Word document to open it in OpenOffice. Then in OpenOffice, simply export to PDF (you might consider embedding the fonts by choosing the PDF/A checkbox.

If OpenOffice is not working, and you do have the latest release, I can tell you from firsthand experience that LibreOffice will do the job. As for Amazon's CreateSpace, doesn't it require Word documents as input?

Jun 11, 2016 1:19 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you all. I have tried each of your suggestions and none of them work. When I attempt to download LibreOffice it has failed three times.

When I go to open the Word document in OpenOffice it crashes and closes; this repeatedly.

And yes, Creative Space accepts Word documents. I have saved my Pages doc. to Word doc. and uploaded it to Create Space only to find the formatting a mess, EXCEPT for the one issue that was off when I uploaded as a Pages .pdf. Go figure.

So, does this mean I should purchase Microsoft Word for my iMac as there is no other alternative?

Jun 11, 2016 1:40 PM in response to MDQ

No version of Pages is a Word clone, and Apple offers no apology, or guarantee that exporting (translation) to Word is entirely accurate, or even intelligible to CreateSpace. So yes, using Word would eliminate any mystique from Pages, and CreateSpace may find the document more compliant with its input expectations.

What part of the following two paragraphs did or did not occur in those three failed attempts to download LibreOffice?

When you download LIbreOffice from their site, it will go directly into your Downloads folder. I have never had it fail to download. If you click on the Dock icon next to your Trash, that is an alias for your Downloads folder, and it will show a list of recently downloaded files. The file at the bottom is the last download. Click once on LibreOffice_5.1.3_MacOS_x86-64.dmg, and the installer will open on your Desktop. Drag and drop LibreOffice into the Applications folder. Eject the LibreOffice Installer icon from your Desktop.

Open a Finder window, locate your /Applications folder, and the single LibreOffice icon. Right-click on it to open it, and choose the Open button. Because it did not come from the OS X App Store, the operating system will put up a brief progress bar to verify the application. It will pose another dialog box ... just click that Open button, and LibreOffice will launch. You only have to go through that ritual once, and afterwards, the application will launch normally.

Jun 11, 2016 2:03 PM in response to MDQ

MDQ wrote:

So, does this mean I should purchase Microsoft Word for my iMac as there is no other alternative?

I have Microsoft Office For Mac 2016 and like it and also consider Open Office and Libre Office to be excellent alternatives.

If Open Office or Libre Office won't open the document after exporting it from Pages to a Word format it is possible that you may have the same problem in trying to open it in Word -- i.e., the problem may be with the document that Pages exported.

Jun 11, 2016 3:47 PM in response to VikingOSX

It took a few more tries but I was able to download LibreOffice and open an exported to Word doc. However, the formatting was a mess and will require starting from scratch to make it work.

I have written several books in Pages and successfully uploaded them to Printers and epub for publication. This was my first try with Create Space and was surprised to find Apples program now acceptable. I have to rethink how I am going to approach this issue before howling at the moon in frustration or maybe that's the first place to begin.

Thank you all for your suggestions and expertise. I can see that going forward I will need to create the document first in LibreOffice then .pdf to Create Space. As for this current book manuscript I will have to play around with it some more before accepting its technical limitations.

Pages document to OpenOffice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.