Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All of my messages deleted randomly

All of the texts in my messages on my iPhone randomly deleted today. I just went and opened the messages app and it was completely empty. Is there a way to restore these messages back to my phone? I've tried signing in/out of iCloud, turning messages on/off, restarting my phone, etc. These messages are still on my Mac and iPad though, so I know they aren't gone. Is there anyway to restore them back to my iPhone? Doesn't iCloud save messages in backup?

Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 20, 2016 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2017 3:53 PM

Same thing just happened to me!!! This is ridiculous and not only did the messages randomly get deleted but my pictures did as well! I need all of Messages/Pictures/Videos back ASAP! This is absolutely crazy!

34 replies

May 31, 2017 4:01 AM in response to CRAZzYFiiR3x

Same exact thing happened to my iPhone 6, in the middle of using it. My phone froze and I shut it off. When I turned it back on, all messages gone. First thing that happens when I call tech support is they let me know I'm eligible for an upgrade. My phone usually works fine ... under messages it says they are all "saved". And therefore is still using storage space so I believe they are somewhere. Just don't know how to locate them!

Jun 5, 2017 9:21 PM in response to Jbjrau

The same thing happened to me today. My phone was recently freezing a lot and restarting on it's own. I tried to send a message today and when I checked back it wasn't even in the thread. A few minutes later I look back to see only 2 message threads and the rest of my messages were deleted. I checked my storage space and it still has the same amount it did prior to this and it says (saved). Did you find a solution?

Jun 28, 2017 3:28 PM in response to andrewtmon

This happened to me on 6/10/17. My phone restarted by itself and then all of the messages were gone. I'm also experiencing the same problem as SoHollywood where two of my message threads always stay at the top of my inbox even if they aren't my recent texts and the same issue as KandiKane5757 where my Safari tabs automatically delete.

When I search for things in my messages, old messages from prior to 6/10/17 show up so I know they're still on my phone somewhere but when I click on them to open the thread, they don't show in the thread.

Any suggestions or solutions would be awesome. Thanks!

Jul 1, 2017 6:05 PM in response to andrewtmon

The same thing happened to me this week on Iphone 5. It kept reminding me i didn't have much phone storage space. On Friday it kept deleting and refreshing my entire photo album each time i opened it. Emails also stopped coming in. My messages stopped getting notifications, then later that day all the messages in the threads showed only the last message sent to each person. I deleted some pics/music etc to free up space. When I went back to messages all the threads names were gone (showing as numbers). Then a couple of hours later all of the messages and threads are completely gone and not coming up via search bar. It's been like that for over 24hours now. In storage it shows Messages (saved) as 871MB. Where exactly are they saved?? I really really need to restore them ASAP....please help!!!!! If i make more than 871MB of free space will they come back??? I've closed the app/folder, turned phone off etc. Everything else is working now (email, photos apps) and has restored, except the messages.

Note - In my icloud account I cant see messages to be able to restore from there. I don't think they're saved anywhere other than the phone

Jul 22, 2017 8:36 AM in response to andrewtmon

I have an iPhone 5 , and I can't help thinking that this is all some sort of planned obsolescence thing on Apple's part so that we'll get with the program and upgrade our phones (I noticed that most of the people that have reported this issue own some variation of the 5 (5, 5s, 5c).

Someone else mentioned losing their photos then slowly getting them back over a period of time. This happens on and off for me and it's really scary.

Re: losing messages, this happened to me a couple of days ago. Ive had this phone for almost 4 years, and I have precious messages on it from all that time. I better not have lost them for good! >:(

All of my messages deleted randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.