Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not syncing in iCloud

Since yesterday my photos won't sync in iCloud, specifically photos I took on my phone yesterday are not showing up on my iPad or my Mac. In addition sharing is not working properly. My husband shared an album and I went through it importing the ones I liked to Photos, but they didn't import. Is there some system problem on apple today with Photos and iCloud? For the record, I have everything set up correctly, these things usually work fine.

mac, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jul 3, 2016 12:44 PM

46 replies

Jul 31, 2017 7:55 AM in response to ritat

Same here.

In my case, they are pictures I took last weekend on a DSLR and which I imported to my iMac from the camera SD card. These images are now in my Photos, but they are not in iCloud Photos Library (hence not on my iPhone and iPads. The pics I took *with my iPhone* this same weekend got synced in iCloud Photo Library.

Never happened before. I didn't change any settings on my iMac.

The "Use iCloud Photo library" is on (in Photos prefs). But there's also a progression bar stating it has to upload my *entire* library !!!

This is my main Mac, the one that always had all my photos library. The one I always put my new pics from my cameras in. Why did it stop working?

Jul 31, 2017 9:26 AM in response to Nicolas Huber

Why did it stop working? It did not, it is working just fine

The "Use iCloud Photo library" is on (in Photos prefs). But there's also a progression bar stating it has to upload my *entire* library !!!

Then it is uploading and when it is complete everything will be there - uploading the entire library is triggered by user action causing the local library to be disconnected from ICP and then reconnecting - this can be cause by moving the library, turning iCloud or ICPL off and back on, repairing the library or any other action that disconnects the library from iCloud - anytime you do that the library must be uploaded in full to verify library integrity

Leave it alone, keep the Mac awake, powered on connected to the internet so it can finish as quickly as possible - but at best it is a slow process and you should never disconnect it and reconnected it unless it is critical that you do - doing this is a last resort

LN

Aug 1, 2017 11:46 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for your help, Larry! :-)

I'll do just that, then.

I actually tried that before posting, but after one full day, progresses were very little (still a staggering numbers of pics "waiting" to be uploaded).

Since my post, some new pics showed up in iCloud. And some that were there before but which I decided to delete from my library still were. So it is like the sync goes very, very slowly.

I'll let my old iMac peacefully on for a few days and see what's happening.

Aug 2, 2017 5:34 AM in response to NickMadeInSwitzerland

I have the same issue. Photos on iPad and iPhone are syncing fine, ones uploaded over last 4 weeks to Photos on iMac from an SD card are still trying to upload (31 items) .

The corollary is that the photos taken on iPad and iPhone are not downloaded to the i`Mac as I understand from last time this happened that uploads take precedence over downloads.

I have tried pausing and resuming, quitting Photos and restarting, leaving the iMac on for 2 days to no avail. Still says uploading 31 items and still doing nothing.

If I upload them from a folder onto iCloud will this free the log jam or just confuse the **** out of the system?

Aug 3, 2017 8:24 AM in response to ritat

This is definitely not working as expecting. It seems totally random if/when photos will show up or not. Sometimes yes, sometimes no :-/ I've got both devices on the internet, staring at it, nothing. Open/close/open photos app on both Mac and iPhone, nothing. iPhone Settings-iCloud->Photos says: "Last updated 3 minutes ago". Whatever that means? :-( Sigh. This should be such a solved problem; can't believe Apple is getting this wrong! And no way to manually force a sync either?! Why not? :-( Only option then is to hook up a cable but that's sooo twentieth century :-)

Aug 3, 2017 12:53 PM in response to NickMadeInSwitzerland

There is something wrong with iCloud, and its not very Applesque and user-friendly. I recently purchased 2TB and have had my laptop on for 3 days yet still only 25% of my 200GB photos library was uploaded and now no matter what i try it just doesn't want to finish the rest. I have all the updates on Macbook Pro and iPad Pro/iPhone 6s.

iCloud Drive is a great concept on paper, but apple has done a **** poor job of implementation. I work in software development and if i would ever put out a product with this type of quality i would fire myself. just my 2 cents.

I have tried the trick of deleting the cloud folder in library folder under my user account, and force quiting the cloudd task. Seemed to re-sync my desktop folder but photos is still in limbo land.

Also when i added a document through iPad to desktop folder it never apeared on my mac desktop till i did the above steps. Oh i have 150Mbs Down/20Mbs Up Internet through COX and have tried the syncing through VPN client and with VPN turned off. Same **** poor experience...

Makes me want to reconsider OneDrive or Google Drive...

Aug 11, 2017 12:41 PM in response to freddy2013

Exact same here.

Photos on my Mac pretends it has my all library to upload (more than 36'000 pics!). I left my Mac and Photos on for 4 days, but the upload is not progressing.

Meanwhile, none of the new photos I'm taking with my iPhone shows up in Photos anymore. They are in iCloud - they're just not showing up in Photos. It also means I need to go to iCloud to get my "old" photos in HD (to download them or retouch them), Photos doesn't want to give them to me. :-(((

What's happening? I've been using Photos, iCloud for years. I've plenty of space left on my costly 2To iCloud subscription. :-((

Aug 18, 2017 7:11 AM in response to freddy2013

I found something interesting....

I have a iPhone SE 16GB, I have installed Whatsapp and its size is 3.2 GB. Every week Whatsapp creates a backup and it's uploaded to iCloud. To create this backup, Whatsapp uses internal memory. Once the backup has been uploaded to iCloud, the "temp file" (you can't see it) is deleted. This process is executed every Wed.

So, I found if the iPhone has less 500 MB storage free, I got an warning message in Photos saying something like: "Low Disk Space - 80 Items to Upload".

Once the Whatapp backup is done, I got more than 700 MB and photos are sync.

It's a pain in the neck, since you need to sync photos in order to use the feature "optimized iphone storage".

I hope this helps.

Aug 22, 2017 11:27 PM in response to ritat

My issue resolved itself after days of playing about turning Upload on and off, leaving the computer on permanently etc etc. Then one day I suddenly found all the devices were in sync. However we have now been away again, photos uploaded onto the iPad whilst we were abroad, are now on 2 pads and the phone and in the Cloud, but will they download to Photos, NO!

Interestingly a shared album I had set up for subset of the photos has downloaded immediately to photos. This was the same on the last occasion and I deleted it in case it was interfering in some unknown manner so i will try that again.

Photos not syncing in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.