Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Show missed calls when phone is off?

Hi

When my phone is off (or no service) incoming calls do not show on my missed call list.

There may be a voice mail when my phone is back on but no corresponding missed call.

Is there a setting that will show missed calls when phone is off?

Debra

iphone 6S

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jul 6, 2016 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2016 2:58 PM

No. Your phone can not display information regarding a 'missed call' when it was powered off or otherwise had no service as the phone never received the call at all. "Missed calls" is a list of calls that rang on the phone, but that you did not answer.

18 replies

Jul 6, 2016 2:57 PM in response to debrasjrimmer

Once you turn your iPhone back on, all calls that occurred while the iPhone was off should appear in the Missed Call list.

If they do not:

• If you are in your region serviced by your cellular carrier, contact your carrier.
  • if you are outside that region (roaming), you may not see the Missed Calls until you return. You might ask your cellular carrier about that.

Jul 7, 2016 12:56 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Considering that the iPhone can receive iMessage and SMS that were sent when the device was off and then powered back on, I don't really see why this could not be something that could be implemented. It would just require something similar to that and the setting used to notify you of voicemail. While that sounds simplistic as I say it, I wouldn't know how to do it.

Jul 6, 2016 3:14 PM in response to KiltedTim

I shut my iPhone off every evening. When I turn it on in the morning, I do see missed calls that came in overnight.

I'm with AT&T. Of course, I don't know if every single call is logged there, but those I expect to be logged have been.

UPDATE - Let me reconsider this and I'll try an experiment with it and report back.

UPDATE (2) - I yield to KiltedTim's response. I just placed my iPhone in Airplane Mode and phoned it from a landline. I got a voicemail but no "missed call". KiltedTim, your response makes sense and I cannot disprove it. My memory may well be wrong. Thanks.

Jul 7, 2016 12:43 PM in response to debrasjrimmer

One additional data point - which confirms KiltedTim and Meg St._Clair's comments:

Last night, I powered off my iPhone and all Mac devices associated with it (Apple Watch, iPad, Mac). I called my iPhone's number from a land line while the iPhone was powered down. I heard the voicemail greeting and hung up while the greeting was playing (leaving no voicemail).

This morning, I powered on my iPhone and found no evidence of any missed call.

So I'm 100% convinced Meg and Tim gave you the correct response. My memory about receiving information while the iPhone was powered off must have been confused - I must have received voicemails and no evidence of missed calls.

Sorry about any confusion I caused.

Jul 6, 2016 7:06 PM in response to sberman

sberman wrote:

I shut my iPhone off every evening. When I turn it on in the morning, I do see missed calls that came in overnight.

I'm with AT&T. Of course, I don't know if every single call is logged there, but those I expect to be logged have been.

UPDATE - Let me reconsider this and I'll try an experiment with it and report back.

UPDATE (2) - I yield to KiltedTim's response. I just placed my iPhone in Airplane Mode and phoned it from a landline. I got a voicemail but no "missed call". KiltedTim, your response makes sense and I cannot disprove it. My memory may well be wrong. Thanks.

Tim is correct on this one. A cell phone will only register a call as "Missed" if the call actually connected to the phone but you didn't answer it.

Jul 7, 2016 12:49 PM in response to sberman

sberman wrote:

My memory about receiving information while the iPhone was powered off must have been confused - I must have received voicemails and no evidence of missed calls.

You are certainly not the first person to be so confused. It would be nice if "Missed" meant calls I, the user, missed as opposed to what it does mean which is calls the phone itself missed.

Jul 7, 2016 12:54 PM in response to sberman

sberman wrote:

Once you turn your iPhone back on, all calls that occurred while the iPhone was off should appear in the Missed Call list.

===================

No, they will not. That would require the carrier to keep track of calls that you missed, and send that list to the phone when it reconnects to the network. No carrier supports that.

Jul 7, 2016 12:54 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

It would be nice if "Missed" meant calls I, the user, missed as opposed to what it does mean which is calls the phone itself missed.

This brings to mind a future in which Siri can get involved. One might say to Siri: "I do not care about missing a call from this caller" and that might cause the incoming number to be placed in a "block from Missed call reporting" bucket. So "Missed Calls" might be only from folks you care about having missed a call from.

Show missed calls when phone is off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.