Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail; smtp;550 Denied by policy. What?

I now have an email address blocked for any emails that I send from my Mail account. It happens the financial institution that is the most important of all the addresses that send email to. What can I do to resolve this? No other email addresses to which I send to has this problem.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Also uses an iPad

Posted on Jul 20, 2016 8:17 AM

2 replies

Jul 20, 2016 2:19 PM in response to Gramps

"Denied by policy" is very clear. An email server between you and the recipient is blocking your email because of a policy they have implemented in the servers. This could be for several reasons:

• Your domain (sending domain) could be black- or gray-listed
  • The sending address (your user) could be black- or gray-listed
  • Your sending IP address could be black- or gray-listed
  • Something in the message matches a rule in content filtering
  • The sending address doesn't match what is in your HELO or EHLO statement (if the receiving system checks)
  • The domain in the sending address doesn't match the domain of the FQDN as defined by a reverse-lookup of the sending IP address (if the receiving system checks)

Contact your email provider and ask them why your emails are being blocked. Contact the financial institution and ask them why your emails are being blocked. There is nothing you can do. Resolution is in the hands of the email server admins.

Mail; smtp;550 Denied by policy. What?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.