Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Vodafone Login Page Launches when connecting to wireless network

Further to an existing but old thread (Safari Login Page Launches when connecting to wireless network)

I am having a persistent problem with an annoying Vodafone log-in page popping up on Safari every time I connect to a new, or any wireless network.

The problem started when I used a Vodafone Mi-Fi device (Huawei). I needed to convert it to take a Three Mobile Sim, so I plugged in the device via the USB and installed the software to change the APN settings. This all worked fine and the device works perfectly. It is now up in Scotland serving guests in my lodge park.

However, it has left a residual problem on my laptop - everytime I connect to wi-fi a page opens on Safari with a pop up asking for log-in credentials to connect to http://vodafonemobile.wifi/ I don't wish to connect to vodafone, so I click cancel and I then get an error code and a warning -

System Authentication Failed.

Please contact your system administrator for the correct information.

I don't have log-in credentials for this pop-up and I am 600 miles away from the device in any case! Many others have had this same problem, and you can read all about it on the original thread. The solution is that the original software needs to be re-installed and uninstalled, which you can do by plugging the device back in again and running the uninstaller. So, I waited until I was back in Scotland to do just that, but whatever I do or try, the uninstaller just crashes every single time, so I can't uninstall it! The other suggestion on the original thread was to download the uninstaller software from the Vodafone website for this device (Huawei R206), and there was a link provided but it no longer works. I have since been trawling the net trying to find this software that can be downloaded and the uninstalled without crashing my laptop, but I can't find it anywhere.

I am not the most technically minded - I only know what I know about this problem from the original thread - its just the solution I am still missing!

If anyone can help me find the software/driver(?) I need to uninstall this nightmare then I would be so grateful!

Thank you in advance,

Rose

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jul 28, 2016 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2016 9:34 AM

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account to see if you can uninstall it there. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2016 9:34 AM in response to ZannasCloud

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account to see if you can uninstall it there. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Safari Vodafone Login Page Launches when connecting to wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.