Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus on iPhone?

Hi!

When I browsed a website (a blog) in Safari the page directed me to a site named [ m e g a . v i r a l - c o n t e n t . s i t e ] after a while, and it made me suspicious. The page said that I needed to upgrade my iPhone to the latest version. The website had a pop-up with the text about the upgrade and a "close"-button, and after clicking close the page said pretty much the same thing again. I shut down Safari and visited the blog again (it is a "normal" blog on a big blog platform here in Sweden, and I have visited it multiple times before without this error) and the same thing happend again. When I googled this problem seems to have appeared today for some other user as well. What should I do? I am afraid it might be some kind of virus...

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.3

Posted on Jul 28, 2016 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2016 1:42 PM

Malware perhaps but not a virus.

Tap Settings > Safari then swipe down and tap Clear History & Website Data then restart your iPhone.

19 replies

Jul 28, 2016 1:56 PM in response to emeliejr

Hello,

The iPhone is incapable of being infected with a virus because iOS does not allow applications to interact with one another, and the user is barred from accessing the file system. In the tech world, this is known as a "sandbox." The only way your iPhone could become infected with a virus is if you have jailbroken your device, which means you could be running custom firmware that contains a virus, or have gained root access to the file system, thus gaining the ability to run applications from non-approved sources, thus running the risk of using software that contains a virus.

All that being said, it is possible for your iPhone to be afflicted with malware, an umbrella term that describes all forms of malicious software such as adware, ransomware, viruses, worms, trojans etc. Malware can be spread via browser cookies, so your best bet is to clear your browser cookies. To clear your browser cookies go to Settings> Safari > Clear History and Website Data.

Though you have stated that the blog you are visiting is a "normal blog", I would advise against visiting the site in question. If the erratic behavior you are experiencing with Safari has only occurred after visiting said blog, then best to eliminate that variable so that you can maintain optimal functionality with Safari.

Best of luck to you.

Jul 28, 2016 1:58 PM in response to emeliejr

Is it like this, a webpage trying to fool me to download an "upgrade" from them, and when I do click their links and download they can spy on my activity?

They cannot spy on you on iPhones, what they try to do is trick you into entering your personal info like passwords or credit card numbers. Delete the Safari history - you should not have further issues.

Jul 28, 2016 2:09 PM in response to emeliejr

I see what your mean. Try it this way.

Resetting Safari. Close Safari completely from the app switcher window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Safari preview pane until it disappears from the screen. Then go to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears.

Jul 28, 2016 7:53 PM in response to linefromDenmark

I have the same problem as linefromDenmark, and as he did, I also cleared my history but the thing still appears on whatever website I try to get... I ultimately got rid of it by blocking all the cookies but I would like to find a permanent way not just "hide" from this thing.

What's really weird though is that it seems to have appeared two days ago, with no link to an app or a specific website (I checked on other forums over the internet, people tried to find the reason for the malware but didn't find any connection with anything specific, and it is not restricted to a place on the globe : some are in Europe (like me in France), others in the US/Canada, others in Japan,...).

Apple should definitely check this thing out.

Jul 28, 2016 9:11 PM in response to OlusiaS

Hi all,

I'm from France and just got the same problem when i woke up 1h ago ....

You are not alone, there is another forum with many peoples talking about it ! All starting TODAY
(http://forums.imore.com/ask-question/368973-ads-malware-mega-viral-content-site. html)
All the answers before are not usefull at all and don't fix it, clearing history, restarting, what ever, nothing fix it...

It's definitively a Massive attack against Iphone in all the world, as soon as you re-open safari and after consulting one of your page it reappears and jump you to that site [ m e g a . v i r a l - c o n t e n t . s i t e ]
So far i found nothing to fix it (exception and such a think is not a fix since you will always be redirected to a new page..)

Hope Apple is working hard on it already ....

Been using Iphones since they are born, never seen such an attack on it, like a lot of peoples i installed PoGo and navigated on 3 sites associate who are:
https://pokevision.com/

http://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon-list

https://go.jooas.com/

Really strange that all that happen right after the release of PoGo in France who started the 24/07/2016 .....

But really we don't know, we just have to wait and hope it's not the beginning of a new form of attacks...

Before some of you start to whine, i have an Iphone 6 plus that i bought new, i never install crap applications or what ever, never jailbreaked or anything, and as a man who work with computers all day, i take really care of the security on my precious, so all is blocked, every single options........... Can't be a more secure Iphone ... So definitively not a bad move from customer installing a crap ...

Good Luck

Jul 28, 2016 9:20 PM in response to Anonyme From France

Temporary Fix from "FelixC54" on the other web site ....

"

I found a temporary fix for Iphone:

Go to Settings > General > Restrictions

Pick a passcode of your choice and scroll down to "Websites", here you will have 3 options, choose "Limit adult content" and scroll down to "Never allow" and press "Add new website".

In this bar simply type "http://mega.viral-content.site" and you won't be able to access it anymore. However, this is a TEMPORARY fix since it still opens another window, just keeps you from getting all those spamming ads.

"

Virus on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.