Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I just delete my profile for Apple Communities?

Since my problem with ereased mails has occurred again and I don't expect any solution or explanation any more, I simply want my profile to be irrevocably deleted from the apple community. A failure to do so is against my will.

I would also like to refer to the new EU regulation on this matter which is to enter into force as from May 2018.

REGULATION (EU) 2016/679 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL

of 27 April 2016

on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation)

iPad 2, iOS 9.3.3

Posted on Aug 4, 2016 2:32 AM

90 replies

Aug 4, 2016 2:53 AM in response to Stefubir

The normal approach would to be turn off any features that might result in you receiving email from activity in areas that you have followed, or unfollow those topics and communities. See this post for a description of how to do this. You would leave the account extant for the next occasion when you want help from the community.

I see no personal data connected to your account, and the terms and conditions cover Apple's ongoing use of your question and the answers to it that they might help others. I can see you joined July 26th (you could hide that) and you made one other thread apart from this one. Your chosen username means nothing unless you have used it in other circles (Google says not). Your anonymity is secure. Nevertheless I shall mark this post for the attention of the hosts and let them know of your request.

tt2

Aug 4, 2016 6:17 PM in response to Stefubir

I would assume that Apple will comply with European laws when they become effective 2 years from now. The terms and features for these communities may then change to incorporate such new laws. As of now, the terms do not include erasing your account; keeping a record of an account is required by American law, especially if you used the same Apple ID as you might have for iTunes or app purchases. That needs to be kept for corporate tax/income purposes. So, making the suggested changes to your account will suffice nicely until such time as the laws are changed.

Aug 4, 2016 11:37 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your reply. I think, it is very difficult to thrust to google's answer. It is reported that they are collecting data as almost every IT company. As I am the owner of my personal data and of my profile, I should be the one who decides whether to let my account unused or to have it deleted. My problem with the mails and the answers are of no use for the community since there has been no solution up today. So why keeping my account? Obviously Apple doesn't consider pop mail accounts with their software since the update to IOS 9.X.X. It simply doesn't work well anymore (it did before the software update)

Aug 5, 2016 4:03 AM in response to babowa

@babowa: I agree with you and assume (and hope) also, that Apple and all IT companies delivering services to the EU will comply with EU laws.

I use the same Apple ID as for iTunes or for Apple store, because otherwise it would be senseless to use the ipad and iphone (neither new apps from the Apple store, nor IOS updates cold be downloaded and installed). Therefore I'm only asking to delete my account for the communities for the reasons I wrote (no solutions provided). The account for Apple store and iTunes should not be deleted.

You write

"....... As of now, the terms do not include erasing your account; keeping a record of an account is required by American law, especially if you used the same Apple ID as you might have for iTunes or app purchases."

I think, your argument on corporate tax might apply for the iTunes and Apple store Sites but not for the Communities.

Aug 5, 2016 4:19 AM in response to Stefubir

You accepted the terms and conditions for Apple Support Communities. In particular this:

License to Use Submission. By sending a Submission to the Site you agree to grant Apple a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive worldwide right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, play, make available to the public, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to the Submission. If you do not want to grant to Apple the rights set out above, do not send your Submission to the Site.

I've explained already how you can turn off any features that cause the site to send you email. There is no personal information about you other than that which you choose to share. I also asked the hosts to make contact with regard to your account. Check your email in case a message from them has been treated as spam.

Have you read my message in your Deleted Mails Reappear thread yet? Frankly I'm surprised that you seem to be more interested in this topic than that one. 😕

tt2

Aug 5, 2016 5:23 AM in response to turingtest2

@turingtest2

I know that I should deselect the following function on my topic with the following button, but I didn't know about the account's preferences page. Thank you.

If my problem and the discussions are of any help to the community, I'll be the last to not wanting it. But till now, I don't see how. Now I think I should still wait some time (let me say a week) and report then again. In the meantime I had ereased my pop mail acoount on the ipad. I'll come back to you in one week at latest.

Aug 5, 2016 8:32 AM in response to Stefubir

I think, your argument on corporate tax might apply for the iTunes and Apple store Sites but not for the Communities.

To be honest, I am not quite sure since I have not studied corporate tax law in particular, but since the Apple ID is "one account" doing many different things, it may be.

And, although Apple is an American company, they still have to comply with other countries' laws (which, as an example, has been evident in the new additional legalese wording in their country-specific warranties since they lost re. the Applecare in Italy a few years back). Contrary to that, you did agree to the terms for these forums/sites, which are quite specific - I also do not know if there will be a change or agreement with other worldwide companies when the new law becomes effective. As the access to places around the world is only a click away, they need to keep in mind that anyone can access their site from anywhere and will need to come to a mutually agreeable way that will honor other countries' laws or lose business/sales if they insist on only their own rules.

How can I just delete my profile for Apple Communities?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.