Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessible Mini or One-Handed Keyboard?

Hi,

I have sensory issues, coordination/proprioception issues, and rsi.

I can't type without seeing the keyboard and my typing hand. I also have trouble typing with both hands at once, or with several fingers at once, although I can handle some two-key and three-key combinations. I also have trouble hitting the right keys, and avoiding the wrong ones. I stopped using one external mini keyboard because it had start, page up, page down, and end, next to delete/backspace, enter, and shift, and I'd keep accidentally hitting them. I can't use touch devices because they have tapping, and gestures, and I'd keep accidentally triggeing those, so touch devices aren't a solution.

I have been using an Adesso Mini keyboard and a Logitech mini keyboard, both propped up on the left side to reduce wrist strain.

I also tried Enhanced Dictation and Dragon for Mac, but I have severe hyperacusis, and I get hit with a lot of painfully loud construction noise. When I'm not getting hit, I don't want to waste the precious quiet, and when I am getting hit, I don't want to fill the page with pain.

I have been using Sticky Keys, but it's a mess, because it shows the modifier keys on the screen, at the top of the screen, while I'm typing on the keyboard and can't see the screen. Sometimes I look up and find that either shift or caps lock is stuck on, or worse, command has triggered something. AND MY GOOD ARM HURTS>. And... ot again.

Good timing though...

So is there an accessible mini-keyboard or one-handed keyboard that lets users know which modifier keys are in effect? I can't handle flashing but I'd probably be able to use other indicator lihts.

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Aug 5, 2016 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2016 2:50 PM

Hey Marja,

I feel your troubles, therefore I am trying to assist you as much as possible. These recommendations may not work for you and I may not fully understand your situation, so just take what is useful and throw the rest away.

Here is a link to where I responded to your other post about sticky keys.

Re: How to Use Sticky Keys?

When using sticky keys, don't forget that you can turn off the modifier buttons so they do not show on the screen. The only problem with this is if you do not have sound or the beep option turned on, then it can get confusing if you have a modifier key in the locked position.

Tip. If you do not want the sound or modifier keys shown on screen, you can turn on the keyboard viewer and it will replicate whatever sticky keys are hit on the keyboard. If you hit shift on your actual keyboard then the keyboard viewer will show the shift key pressed.

Some options I found for one-handed keyboards
If you get a chance, Describe to me the most optimal working condition for you. We may be able to get some switches hooked up where you will hit the switches for modifier keys, which will light up, letting you know you have made that modifier key selected, without looking on the screen.
Please keep me updated and I will continually try to assist you until we get you up and running perfect.

Thanks for your patience,

Chase

VOICE DICTATION

I have tried using Dragon many times and it is a very CPU intensive Application and I find that apples dictation it Works just as well for light Voice dictation like I am doing right now. I have it set up where I Press command + G and the Apple dictation will start up and I just start talking and it will convert what I say into text. It can also do more than just convert your voice to text. It will also do lightweight commands like Dragon.

Here are just a few of the dictation commands which are different than your system commands.

User uploaded file
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2016 2:50 PM in response to Marja E

Hey Marja,

I feel your troubles, therefore I am trying to assist you as much as possible. These recommendations may not work for you and I may not fully understand your situation, so just take what is useful and throw the rest away.

Here is a link to where I responded to your other post about sticky keys.

Re: How to Use Sticky Keys?

When using sticky keys, don't forget that you can turn off the modifier buttons so they do not show on the screen. The only problem with this is if you do not have sound or the beep option turned on, then it can get confusing if you have a modifier key in the locked position.

Tip. If you do not want the sound or modifier keys shown on screen, you can turn on the keyboard viewer and it will replicate whatever sticky keys are hit on the keyboard. If you hit shift on your actual keyboard then the keyboard viewer will show the shift key pressed.

Some options I found for one-handed keyboards
If you get a chance, Describe to me the most optimal working condition for you. We may be able to get some switches hooked up where you will hit the switches for modifier keys, which will light up, letting you know you have made that modifier key selected, without looking on the screen.
Please keep me updated and I will continually try to assist you until we get you up and running perfect.

Thanks for your patience,

Chase

VOICE DICTATION

I have tried using Dragon many times and it is a very CPU intensive Application and I find that apples dictation it Works just as well for light Voice dictation like I am doing right now. I have it set up where I Press command + G and the Apple dictation will start up and I just start talking and it will convert what I say into text. It can also do more than just convert your voice to text. It will also do lightweight commands like Dragon.

Here are just a few of the dictation commands which are different than your system commands.

User uploaded file

Aug 10, 2016 6:23 PM in response to cphotwheels

Here's my current setup:

User uploaded file

It's far from ideal.

I tried to follow the standard ergonomic advice for the desktop configuration, apart from the keyboard. It works relatively well for mousing and reading, but not for typing, since it assumes touch-typing and looking at the screen, where I'm forced to look at the keyboard. Maybe I should practice using the keyboard viewer, or another on-screen option?

I also use a lap desk and the external mouse for a laptop configuration.

I have Time Out set to schedule breaks to reduce rsi.

I can handle the mini keyboard, except for the modifiers and, depending on which keyboard, those Windows start/page up/page down/end keys. I often hit the wrong key, but can usually correct myself. I mostly have trouble when I hit the wrong modifier key, and don't know it, or hit those Windows start/page up/page down/end keys.

I have coordination issues, and I think most specialized one-handed keyboards use extra modifier keys, e.g. to flip the keyboard. So the same issues which keep me from two-handed typing and/or touch-typing make it unlikely I'd be able to handle that style of one-handed typing.

[Mostly copied from my other reply on the other thread:]

I have a number of sensory issues including severe hyperacusis, and exist in a painful/noisy neighborhood, so I tend to mute my computer, and I try to avoid adding more pain/noise, although I have tried both Enhanced Dictation and Dragon for Mac without success. Enhanced Dictation had too many errors with full sentences. Dragon for Mac had less errors, but would override its own settings, and wouldn't let me correct its errors. Both had more errors with single-word edits, with tables, etc.

I also switched from writing in LibreOffice to writing in Bean, because I can't disable the flashing cursor in LibreOffice. I can't use the arrow keys to move through tables any more. I have to use the mouse, which is an annoyance.

Accessible Mini or One-Handed Keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.