You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 7 or later installation.

Hello,

I have tried solving this for hours on end, hopefully someone can help me out.

I have downloaded the ISO file "Win10_1607_English_x64.iso" (4.29GB) and with it came an "info.plist" (2KB), so both of them are on my 64GB USB Drive (in format: MS-DOS (FAT32)) named "WINSTALL".

I have the ISO file on the USB, and it is selected as the ISO image in Boot Camp. I also have the USB selected as the destination disk, yet I get this error:

Your bootable USB drive could not be created

Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 7 or later installation.

I am currently running OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6 on my iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) which is compatible with Windows 10.

If someone can help me I'd honestly love you so much, I've tried contacting Apple Support staff via phone, they said they can't do anything, I've tried contacting their Live Chat, but none of that helped fix the issue, and I've tried looking online, but can't find too much.

Thank you for any replies in advance!!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Aug 12, 2016 6:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2016 7:08 AM

What Version of OSX do you have?? This site gives the Bootcamp requirements: System requirements to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support. And did you do a upgrade?? It might of been that the upgrade didnt go correctly for the OS?

Looking at the Windows 10 version you have downloaded, its the anniversay update, which was released less than a month ago. It could be that Apple is not reconisgin the Windows version when reading the disk, as it is too new. Dont know if you have access to download the previous build and do a Windows update??

38 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 12, 2016 7:08 AM in response to SrKarlSr

What Version of OSX do you have?? This site gives the Bootcamp requirements: System requirements to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support. And did you do a upgrade?? It might of been that the upgrade didnt go correctly for the OS?

Looking at the Windows 10 version you have downloaded, its the anniversay update, which was released less than a month ago. It could be that Apple is not reconisgin the Windows version when reading the disk, as it is too new. Dont know if you have access to download the previous build and do a Windows update??

Aug 12, 2016 7:46 AM in response to SrKarlSr

SrKarlSr wrote:

I have downloaded the ISO file "Win10_1607_English_x64.iso" (4.29GB) and with it came an "info.plist" (2KB), so both of them are on my 64GB USB Drive (in format: MS-DOS (FAT32)) named "WINSTALL".

I have the ISO file on the USB, and it is selected as the ISO image in Boot Camp. I also have the USB selected as the destination disk, yet I get this error:

Your bootable USB drive could not be created

There is no info.plist that comes with the ISO. The ISO file cannot be on the USB, because BCA tries to erase and format the USB and you have the ISO open from the same device. This is why your USB Installer cannot be created.

Download the appropriate ISO file to your Documents folder, and point to it when prompted by BC Assistant. Allow BCA to format/erase the USB flash drive. Do not connect any external peripheries till windows is full installed (except the USB Installer flash drive, only when prompted).

Aug 12, 2016 8:30 AM in response to SrKarlSr_

SrKarlSr_ wrote:

Yup. I've been told so many different 'solutions' from support, all have said that where the ISO is etc are fine, and never questioned the plist.info.

A very strange suggestion from Support. My ISO file shows the following. I have installed this release on about 10 Macs in the last couple of days.

ls -lgh Win10_1607_English_x64.iso

-rw-r--r--@ 1 staff 4.1G Jul 17 17:28 Win10_1607_English_x64.iso

openssl md5 Win10_1607_English_x64.iso

MD5(Win10_1607_English_x64.iso)= 88b98698600511dcd69596df92b242e5

ls -lg Win10_1607_English_x64.iso

-rw-r--r--@ 1 staff 4380387328 Jul 17 17:28 Win10_1607_English_x64.iso

Aug 12, 2016 8:37 AM in response to SrKarlSr_

Is strange. The message you have also said Windows 7 or higher, which it is. Which bring me back to the anniversary version being so new. Apple might not know the build number yet. Are there any updates to the Mac OS?

The info.plist is a windows file, it is used by the Mac OS so this wouldn't have anything to do with it. The ISO is the entire install file for windows, so thats all you need to install the OS usually.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.