Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TC no longer a part of my network but my wifi network is still working, mostly. What has happened?

Up until last evening I was able to see and edit my TC through the airport utility on my MBP or my iPad Air 2. Now I have received a message in airport utility that says my TC is no longer part of my network and is no longer accessible.

The time machine backup drive on the TC is no longer seen by time machine. I can SMB into the TC HDD through Finder and the folders and data appear to be intact.

Now the question is what has happened to my TC and the airport utility? All help is most welcome. I am running OS X el Capitan 10.11.6 on my MBP and iOS 9.3.4 on my iPad Air 2.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Aug 12, 2016 11:05 PM

65 replies

Aug 12, 2016 11:33 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

There is no picture of the TC in airport utility on any of my devices with airport utility. However, I can do Airport Utility > File > Configure Other and log onto my TC and the menus populate in the airport utility, but there is no picture of the TC in airport utility and my HDD is not connected in Finder until I do Finder > Go > Connect to Server and log onto the HDD on the TC.

Aug 12, 2016 11:47 PM in response to capricorn54

When you go to File > Configure Other and enter the details, try going to the "Internet" tab and press the Renew DHCP Lease button. Then try connecting again.

There are others who are more seasoned Time Capsule users than I am who may drop in here, but my only other suggestion would be to reset the Time Capsule. If you don't want to wait for other suggestions, see Resetting an AirPort base station FAQ - Apple Support. If you end up having to do a factory reset (the last step), note that it says:

Important: Factory Default reset doesn't erase the contents of any hard drives associated with the base station.

So your data is safe.

Aug 12, 2016 11:57 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

A lot of people today are having the same issue.. something is happening but I am not sure of any update that has gone through in the last few days that could have messed things up.

Do you happen to have your iCloud ID setup in the TC?

Sometimes just press the reset for 1-2sec.. this is the soft reset will actually get it working again. When you do that all the passwords return to default.. ie no wireless password and main TC password will be public.. It will only last 5min but might help you locate the TC.. otherwise as per stevejobfan0123 .. do a factory reset and start over.

People are saying this also has not helped but I am sure if the setup can be configured with static IP it should work. We will need your full network layout if you continue to have issues.. ie what is your main modem.. make and model.. is it a pure modem or modem router.

Is the TC plugged directly to the modem via the WAN port using ethernet and setup in bridge or router mode??

As much info as possible can help.

Aug 13, 2016 12:12 AM in response to LaPastenague

The modem is a cable modem, Motorola Surfboard SB6141 with the ethernet port connected directly to the TC via Cat5e. The layout of the network has not changed physically for the last 3 years. Power is supplied via a CyberPower 500 VA UPS with no non-network loads attached to the UPS, only the cable modem and the TC connected. The TC is running V7.7.7

Aug 13, 2016 1:00 AM in response to capricorn54

capricorn54 wrote:

The TC is set up as a router. My Apple ID is logged in the TC.

Thanks for those details.

Some people are suggesting the Apple ID is the issue.. I am very unconvinced but it could be worthwhile testing it.

Motorola Surfboard SB6141

That just happens to be our least favourite modem. There is some funny business that happens between the SB series modems and the Apple AC model routers. Neither are faulty but they just don't play well together.

Your setup is great.. UPS for your network gear is exactly my method to keep networks stable.

But in your case something needs to go. The fault is weird in that many people experience no issues for first year if they get through the first install, but it can start into the second or third year.

I am guessing your TC is the AC model??

Who is your ISP? And are you on IPv6 yet??

Aug 13, 2016 2:05 AM in response to capricorn54

I have the same problem in last days.

My last steps before was:steps
- I updated in last days my Apple ID password to safer - after them was no back to my mac connection to TC.

On time capsule i found amber blinking light. TC was Wireless OK, but no connection from Airport Utility (visible yes, but with yellow triangle).
After first restart TC (Power cable off and after 30 second on) i connect from iOS Airport utility. Was connected OK from iOS.

I test on Airport utility in last ElCapitan, it wasOK so i updated my Apple ID in TC.

Restart looks OK.

After them from iOS Airport utility i give next message about wrong Apple ID. And its offer me TC firmware update.

I made it. I made firmware update before next time try update my Apple ID in TC.

From this time I'am without connection to TC drive and TC setup,
wireless in TC works fine, status led is GREEN.

Soft reset over reset button not helped. TC switched from green to amber light for few minutes, but without possibility connection to TC drive and TC setup.

User uploaded file

TC no longer a part of my network but my wifi network is still working, mostly. What has happened?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.