Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop books going to the cloud

I have an iPad Air and use iOS 9.3.4. I use IBooks 4.8. I have 13MB of available memory. I have many books on my iPad, all purchased from Apple. For some reason, books go to the cloud on their own. This happens sometimes when I am reading a book.

How can I stop books going to the cloud? This is very annoying

Posted on Aug 15, 2016 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 10:13 AM

Hi there. Have you found a solution to this issue yet? I am in the same boat. I'm a pubic speaker and use Pages to create my outlines then export them to iBooks. But both apps will move my outlines to the Cloud unannounced!

I currently have 4G of memory (btw having 'low memory' is no excuse to force someone's files off of their device, otherwise a 32G iPad should be sold as a 28G). This is extremely frustrating as on one occasion it ruined my presentation! I have since learned to double check before leaving the house. No device should be making these decisions for me!

56 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2018 10:13 AM in response to gbrockbrain

Hi there. Have you found a solution to this issue yet? I am in the same boat. I'm a pubic speaker and use Pages to create my outlines then export them to iBooks. But both apps will move my outlines to the Cloud unannounced!

I currently have 4G of memory (btw having 'low memory' is no excuse to force someone's files off of their device, otherwise a 32G iPad should be sold as a 28G). This is extremely frustrating as on one occasion it ruined my presentation! I have since learned to double check before leaving the house. No device should be making these decisions for me!

Jun 19, 2017 6:05 PM in response to ckuan

Hey, this problem still hasn't been solved. I again got stuck without cellular (or wi-fi) coverage and Apple iBooks for whatever reason decided that the book I was reading should be put into the cloud. What's the point of having my books on my phone if I can't access then when needed? The world isn't nearly the technical utopia Apple seems to think it is... :-(

Sep 26, 2017 3:51 AM in response to keith07

Hi Keith,

Have you managed to sort this one out? I'm still getting this. I want my book to be available on icloud, but not to be deleted from ibooks.

I get all my books from my dropbox directly into the phone/tablet, but after a while they appear with the cloud icon next to them, and if I want to open them I need WiFi which I don't always have on my tablet, and it is annoying.

Has anyone fixed this?

Jan 26, 2018 11:20 AM in response to Joemac8

Sorry you're still having trouble. How much free space do you have available on your device? Is it at least 10% of the storage total? You can find out by going to the iPhone/iPad Storage preferences section. That post includes some tips on freeing up additional space.

One thing you should know is that books purchased through Apple aren't "sent" to iCloud. They reside there by default and will always be available there (should you lose/damage your device, for instance). What's happening is that the local version of your book is being deleted, most likely to maximize the space available as described above.

Oct 31, 2017 5:54 AM in response to Kaintxu

I also have this problem.

It seems to me that the wording of the question is unclear, as I don't think the issue is that the books are "uploaded" to the cloud.

In my case, I loaded an ebook on my laptop, and chose to sync it with my iCloud account. That made the book available on my phone and ipad.

In order to read the book, I had to click the little cloud icon in the top left corner of the book, which downloaded it to each device. However, after some indeterminate amount of time, the book will no longer be on the device and will have to be downloaded again.

The problem is that iBooks is deleting the local copy from the mobile devices, and what we need is a way to disable this behavior.

Nov 3, 2017 5:09 PM in response to rjsquire

I have this same problem and am still waiting on a good response from Apple. I've played around with the various settings on the iPhone and within iTunes but nothing helps. I have 256 gb iPad Pro and want all of my books (only a few gigs worth) permanently on my iPad. But they keep going to the cloud. I want them in the cloud and on my iPad. It’s obviously a way to save space but there should be a way to switch that off without switching off iCloud complete which I feel would probably do the trick. But that’ll ruin everythin else I need iCloud for. I hate having to constantly keep redownloading books when I get ready to read them.

Nov 15, 2017 5:25 PM in response to ckuan

Is it possible to answer the first question? I am having the same problem and it's 2017. I'm traveling and I need to keep at least one book offline to be able to read but I often have to wait days before finding Wifi and have it back from the cloud.

Please could you just answer if iBook is able to keep a book offline and if not is there another way?

Tha

Jan 21, 2018 5:37 AM in response to Joemac8

I have the same problem and for me it is huge and already put me in very bad situation since the same happens with Keynote! I prepared a presentation im my computer and downloaded it on my iPad. It opened normally as should be. Then I travelled to another state in Brasil to give a open lecture in a conference. How was my surprise when I saw that, in the same way it happens with my books on iBooks, my presentation was sent to iCloud! I was in a place with a bad internet connection and thus I simply couls not get my presentation... it is terrible! I lost count of how many times it happened with my books. Brasil is not like US full of WiFi connections all over the places. Sometimes I enter in a bus and when I am going to read I simply do not have my books. Apple is making **** after ****... what a pain!

Jan 25, 2018 10:09 AM in response to keith07

I had this issue as well, but found a fix. I would download books over wifi, but the next time I opened iBooks the books would need to be re-downloaded. I saw this while on and off of wifi, but it was of course more of an issue when only cellular data was available.

The fix: My iPhone was almost completely out of storage (this issue would probably affect iPads as well). After freeing up some space, downloaded books stay downloaded. I freed up 20%, but I imagine 10% would be sufficient.

My guess is that on devices with very little storage space available, iCloud tries to free some up by removing content you're not using at the moment, content that exists in iCloud storage. This is pretty smart on Apple's part, and is much better than hitting a hard limit in most cases. It's definitely inconvenient when a book you're reading is no longer available and you only have cellular data, but keeping some free space available should avoid this.

Jan 25, 2018 11:49 AM in response to toddie01

Hi, thank you for your attention.

Unfortunately already I tried this but it didn’t work. Even downloading a filé (on iBooks ou Keynote) my iPad “decided” who should be on the cloud.... I have no idea how to solve this.

And sorry man, but it is everything but smart... smart is respect the client and ask if this or that file can be send to iCloud instead of simply make you get lost without the files you planned to use.

Feb 7, 2018 6:39 AM in response to Joemac8

I had the same problem too. This fix worked for me.

1 on your iphone or ipad go to settings> apple id > icloud > disable ibooks ----> this will make all your books disappear so make sure you have them in your computuer

2 in your computer go to itunes > file > add file ---- add all of your books

3 still itunes go to your device > books > check the books you want to sync

4 sync!

in my iphone i left the ibooks > sync bookmarks and notes & sync collections enabled

This stopped my books from going to the cloud and now I don't have to download them again and again.

Stop books going to the cloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.