Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted Notes Folder Keeps on Reappearing

User uploaded fileI have Notes sync on Mac, iPad and iPhone. It was running good. But for the last 3 weeks I have been encountering problems with deleted folder in notes keeps on reappearing. Its not any folder, just one specific folder (and together with its subfolders).

I have tried - log in and logout from icloud, restarting devices, turn on and off sync for notes, renaming folder (managed to rename, but will still reappear), adding notes and deleting them (no issues with deleting notes inside the folder though). I have tried all these on my mac, ipad, iphone and icloud web with no success.

Please help me anybody. Im tired of looking at this particular folder keeps on reappearing after deleting it. Help!

*the folder im trying to delete is the S folder

Posted on Aug 26, 2016 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2016 9:11 AM

Worked for me as well after opening Notes on my iPhone/ Mac and iCloud and just kept deleting. After 5 tries on all three devices back and forth it stopped appearing. This is not great. Apple devs need to write software that sync these better!

19 replies

Apr 17, 2017 8:16 AM in response to aidilsharizaq

OK - here's the procedure that's working for me after some insight I received from some of the replies. The improvement is that It doesn't require multiple attempts to delete a folder.

The idea is to establish a single working copy of your notes and prevent iCloud from trying to sync with any other copy.

Step 1 - Make sure Notes on all your computer(s) and devices are in sync.

Step 2 - Turn Airplane Mode on on all your devices.

Step 3 - Turn off iCloud Notes on your Mac(s). System Preferences -> iCloud

Step 4 - Open a browser and go to iCloud Notes and delete your unwanted folders.

Step 5 - Turn on iCloud Notes on your Mac(s) and turn off Airplane Mode on your devices. Note that it will take a few minutes for your notes to re-download to your Mac(s).

Aug 27, 2017 7:21 AM in response to aidilsharizaq

Had the same issue on MacBook Pro with El Capitan. One folder was just reappearing after deleting it.

This is what I did to solve the issue:

Disabled Notes iCloud sync on MacBook.

Accessed to iCloud from browser on MacBook, and deleted the Notes folder.

Enabled Notes iCloud sync on MacBook.

Opened Notes and waited for a while until all folders and notes were synced with iCloud Notes.

The problemed folder was gone.

Sep 12, 2016 10:16 AM in response to aidilsharizaq

Long shot.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives. Quit Notes.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library and use the appropriate path to see if you can find and delete the Note.

Yosemite: User/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Core Data/External Records/C571FE8D-DB21-438E-AA58-16DD5901A331/Note/_records

El Capitan ~/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.notes Notes location

Sep 17, 2016 6:21 AM in response to Eric Root

Tried but still the same. Now I have issues with notes not syncing between iphone, ipad, and mac. Problem still happening on icloud web notes.

Steps taken: Logging off iclod on all devices. Using the web icloud, still happening there. Refresh cache on safari as well.

How can i refresh cache on the icloud side. Feels like only apple can help me with this.

I dont have valuable notes there but I want to use the full icloud ecosystem so I dont mind if someone can help me refresh/restart my notes data.

Oct 5, 2016 11:09 AM in response to thenewvivek

OK, I fixed this problem for me! What I did was open up the Notes App on my Macbook and have my browser open with iCloud notes (https://www.icloud.com/#notes2). I read somewhere that subfolders are not supported by the iphone app, so my speculation is that this is what's causing the problem. It's why you need the desktop app to correct this.

With both the desktop app and the browser open, delete one of your problem subfolders from the desktop app. Then delete that same folder from the browser app. It will probably pop back on one or both of the apps, but keep at it. Delete that subfolder every time it pops up and on both the browser and the app.

This sounds like an insane solution (because it is) but it worked for me! I was able to delete two folders that I didn't want anymore by playing this version of whac-a-mole. I recommend proceeding one folder at a time, until that particularly subfolder stops appearing. Then move on to the next one.

What I think is happening is both instances of Notes are syncing to iCloud, finding the subfolder, and reinstating it. But if you just keep deleting them from both at the same time eventually it will "catch" and the folder will be gone forever.

Deleted Notes Folder Keeps on Reappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.