Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe Configuration Error 16

Has anyone had a problem with this pesky booger? I cannot open a number of Adobe software programs (Photoshop and Illustrator) because of "Configuration Error 16." On the Adobe website, I am instructed to uninstall the software and reinstall it. I have done this several times, same problem. On their website I am told to go set permissions for the SLStore folder. Then set permissions for the Adobe PCD Folder, to do that i have to go to the finder and look for Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PCD – well, in the latest edition of our OS, there is no library, and I can't find any of the other stuff either.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Sep 8, 2016 8:29 AM

24 replies

Mar 16, 2017 3:59 AM in response to HuckinAlabama

I ran into this problem after using Migration Assistant after upgrading a PowerMac 5,1 from Mavericks to El Capitan.

Adobe's solutions didn't work. Since only one of the user accounts was effected, I changed the account name using the technique described here:

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

Boom! Fixed it. No reinstalls necessary.

Oct 23, 2017 2:34 PM in response to HuckinAlabama

I had this problem too. I found this page useful https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201548

First of all I went through the procedure on a second account, then when I went back into my main account the problem no longer applied and so I changed nothing on my main account at all.

Some strange things have been happening lately on anything related to iCloud, but why this affected Adobe I have no idea. At least I fixed it without needing to do anything clever which would have had me scratching my head a bit...

Thanks to Ronald Mexico.

Feb 9, 2017 5:12 PM in response to HuckinAlabama

This seems to be a wide problem with CC. Both Mac and Windows.

I have had this cursed "Error 16" surprise few times.

Adobe advices to change permissions of these license folders in system Library:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/kb/configuration-error-cs5.html

Set permissions for the SLStore folder.

Set permissions for the Adobe PCD folder.

... Well, no effect what so ever. Reinstalling has been a waste of time as well.

If you are so lucky, you keep constant backup of your system, my solution is to restore the offending folder from your Time Machine, etc. Check which of the folders has changed recently and restore to a version prior date when your problem started. This has saved me few times.

Feb 19, 2017 4:27 AM in response to HuckinAlabama

I had the same problem, and all the permission changes and random rebooting made no difference.

As it is apparently a permissions issue I tried creating another account on my MBP and running PS from there, and low and behold, it worked fine. I rebooted from the new account and logged into the main account again - and it worked.

macOS 10.12.4 [beta] and PS CS6 - your mileage may vary ;o)

Apr 3, 2017 4:27 PM in response to HuckinAlabama

I recommend you jump over to Adobe's support link and start a chat. I spent all day running disk permission repairs, uninstalling and reinstalling, trying to fix the permissions on SLStore and whatever that other folder is... even went so far as to create a new account on my Mac, ported all my files over, only to have the Error 16 stick. Once I started a chat, they connected via remote, and in about 2 minutes he zipped around and did about 5 other things. All works fine now. Have no idea why they can't publish those steps (since they can apparently publish steps that don't work), but it literally took all of 10 minutes total, start to finish. And the actual remote connection was about 2. If you are ready to jump off a cliff, have work to produce, etc, ... save yourself the headache. They can fix it, but you have to let them connect to your Mac remotely.

Apr 19, 2017 9:29 PM in response to HuckinAlabama

Hi

I think I got mine fixed. Changing permissions, reinstalling or any Adobe instructions have always been a total waste of time. My problem was probably incorrect owner of these folders. I "sudo" changed the offending folder's owner as "root" (it was showing "fetching ?" after migrating to a new user) now it says correctly "system" and so far everything has been butter smooth.

Cheers

Apr 20, 2017 4:47 AM in response to HuckinAlabama

"look for Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PCD – well, in the latest edition of our OS, there is no library"

of course there is a library otherwise your mac would not run.

There are 3 Libraries:

- MacintoshHD (Startup disk)->Library

- MacintoshHD (Startup disk)->System->Library

- Homefolder (yourname)->Library.

I assume the Adobe tech info is meant for the user Library:

open Finder, select your Homefolder(yourname),

in the Finder Menu select View,

in the View menu select ShowViewOptions,

in ViewOptions check "Show Library Folder".

From here on the user library is always visible.

Jun 4, 2017 7:37 AM in response to HuckinAlabama

Hi, this worked for me without uninstall/reinstall:

On Library/Application Support/Adobe/SLStore reset folder permissions to: Read & Write on all users. Apply to all underlaying folders and items.
On Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PCD reset folder permissions to: Read & Write (System), Read only (Admin & Everyone). Apply to all underlaying folders and items.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down CMD+ALT and P+R (reset PRAM).

Jun 18, 2017 5:34 PM in response to HuckinAlabama

After getting the same error today I'm replying here,

hopefully it helps somebody,

here's another way, worked for me...

Changing preferences didn't work.

Reinstalling app didn't work.

Didn't bother with new user, or anything else.

Go to HD/Library/ApplicationSupport/Adobe

At this level ->Found 2 empty folders (AdobeAdobePCD & AdobeSLCache) deleted both.

Same level- go to AdobePCD folder - inside there is cache folder and pcd.db file)

Inside cache folder deleted cache.db

Same level - HD/Library/ApplicationSupport/Adobe

scroll down to SL Cache (deleted whole folder)

Same level - SL Store folder (deleted 2 invisible dot files, (name just a number))

Also, found SL Store v1 folder (empty), deleted.

After asking me to login, apps start as normal.

Not sure for how long but it seems to work for now.

Hope it helps. Cheers.

D

Jun 28, 2017 8:43 PM in response to infosee

No idea what caused the problem (Error 16 in both PS and InDesign CC 2017), but I did go to the above page and performed the folder permission operation as described (MacOS). At first this seemed to be ineffective. Just out of curiosity, I opened Bridge and Acrobat to see if the problem affected these (they opened fine). And then I tried to open PS and InDesign again, and this time they worked. Weird.

Aug 30, 2017 11:22 AM in response to EyeMc

We tried that but the error returned. The thing that is really frustrating is that the error comes and goes. We even swapped out the iMac and we are getting the same error.

One of our artists did discover this, if he waited for the display sleep to kick it on its own (It was set for ten minutes), wake it up, log in with his password, Photoshop launches!!! They have been able to do this on four occasions while testing. We tried setting up hot corners for display sleep but, that doesn't work. You have to wait for the display to go to sleep for the preset time. Only the display is set to go to sleep.

I know, this makes no sense but, that is what we are seeing.

Oct 15, 2017 1:54 AM in response to HuckinAlabama

"well, in the latest edition of our OS, there is no library,"

There are three Libraries in your sytsem:

Startupdisk->Library

Startupdisk->System->Library ( a system library where you should not mess around!)

Homefolder->Library (this is the user library), if you can not see this you can do several things to go there:

for going there once: in the Finder select the Homefolder then in menu GO, hold the Alt/option key and then choose Library from the list;

for making it visible permanently: In Finder select the Homefolder, then from the finder menu VIEW select "Show View Options", then check "show Library".

Adobe Configuration Error 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.