Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 10 Install killed my iPhone

Downloaded iOS10 on iPhone 6s Plus -128GB.

Started Install

Screen goes blank halfway through.

Turn phone back on.

iTunes symbol with plug into computer message.

Phone needs to be restored.

This is absolute garbage Apple. This is the second time this has happened to my phone in 3 months. The first time was randomly perusing safari when the whole darn thing froze. No clue as to why it happened. This time was during your upgrade.

Now when I connect my phone to iTunes it says it cannot connect to upgrade server. Thanks Apple. You know, before I switched over to an Apple phone, I had my fair share of problems with Android, but it never EVER completely botched it's own upgrade.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.5, null

Posted on Sep 13, 2016 10:51 AM

22 replies

Sep 13, 2016 11:34 AM in response to bmattify

I have the same iPhone 6S with 128GB. I tried the update over wifi with the phone plugged into the charger. Got the connect to iTunes screen where it told me there was a problem with the update to IOS 10. Thankfully by connecting to iTunes it was able to recover the phone back to IOS 9.3.5 with no loss of data. I am now attempting the IOS 10 upgrade via connected to iTunes. If I have a problem I will return to this post with an update. If no news I was successful. Bottom line.....back up your phone before upgrading to IOS 10. Otherwise you are half to blame since Apple highly recommends backing up your phone prior to any IOS update.

Sep 13, 2016 11:49 AM in response to machz990

i'm getting ready to start downloading, but i'm checking the forums first to see problems that may be happening. two things i noticed were

1) it says to update iTunes before starting and

2) iTunes very clearly states, "Connect this iPhone using a USB cable in order to update or restore its software."

but i also i learned along time ago (the hard way) and have this thing about reading directions before doing something major. so, thanks, machz900, for stating the obvious! so many of the problems people are reporting seem to be ignoring this!

iOS 10 Install killed my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.