Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 10 Music App Missing Artist Icons

When sorting my Library by Artists, the iOS 10 Music app is missing an icon for most of my artists, even if all of that artists's albums have cover art. I would much prefer to use the cover art from one of the albums if iTunes can't find an artist image.

For the image below, every one of those artists has album cover art for every one of their albums.

User uploaded file

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 13, 2016 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2017 5:11 AM

And with the latest nifty iTunes update (12.7.0.166), the problem persists. No icons for most of my artists. Not only should it pick a default icon from an album cover, I should be able to edit the artist icon, just as I can edit the album artwork.

User uploaded file

28 replies

Sep 13, 2017 11:00 AM in response to Bill St. Clair

It's because Apple realized 12 year olds with a fascination with Lyrics was a "cool" market with profit potential. They decided it was worth alienating their former iPod user base and deconstruct their own UX and replaced it with a waaaay too many useless layers of hierarchy so navigating your own music collection is frustrating and confusing. The album art and annoying inappropriate band photos are just casualties along the way.

Sep 13, 2017 12:43 PM in response to Bill St. Clair

I can't BELIEVE we've had yet another software update, and this STILL isn't fixed -- and yet, they managed to change the default icon from "hideous pastel rainbow microphone" to "aesthetically inoffensive but still frustrating AF grey microphone." And I agree -- if they're not willing to pull generic artists pics or just autopopulate the field with an extant album cover, I will happily (okay grudgingly) do it myself. But we still can't do that either.

I know this is a relatively small thing, but with every software update it makes me FURIOUS all over again. Apple used to be "all about the little details that make things pleasing to use." This is a daily irritation, it severely hampers the usability of iTunes both on desktop and on phone, and it's something that makes me keen to switch ecosystems completely.

Sep 18, 2016 11:44 PM in response to Bill St. Clair

Yes, this totally irritates me too. What was Apple thinking? As someone who uses the artists biew for navigating (I remember artist names much better than song or album names) this makes that view look a bit rubbish. I would happily circumvent this issue if there was an option to download artist art of your own but there is no way to do this. I'd say 75% of my artists have artist pics but the other 25% seem to/will never have one and so that generic mic picture is there to stay unless Apple sees sense and brings back the ability to display one of the albums covers as a replacement when no artist pic is available.

Sep 19, 2016 1:56 AM in response to Bill St. Clair

Same problem.

I have to say that this is the worst music experience. Apple have decided that I need an app where all I want to do is stream from their music store using their content and in a way that they see fit. Actually, I have a load of my own music with my own images that I can now no longer find easily because it doesn't fit in with their idea of how they want to direct me to their content. I uploaded a bunch of images directly (missing). I added Disc numbers to the meta-data (missing).

On reflection, I really want the basics I had with the iPod. What can be so hard about that?

Sep 21, 2016 3:51 AM in response to jonmach

AFAIK we have album artwork in each MP3/AAC file but not artist artwork? The issue is they used to use album artwork if they did not have an artist image on iTunes, but now they throw a generic icon instead. Not good, I agree. Just saying that it does seem like they're working on it. The problem would remain, though, for stuff that is NOT on iTunes at all - such as something old/rare or even your own tracks if you're a home producer...

Sep 21, 2016 6:33 AM in response to ArtemiyPavlov

They certainly need to address the whole artist art thing. Another thing that really frustrates is when the wrong artist art displays. Sad as my musical tastes are but I have several tracks by Dana. The Irish singer from the 70s and of Eurovision fame. Yet here artist pic is of a completely different person. probably some young hip artist who uses the same stage name of Dana. But of course there is no way to change it! I tried renaming the artist in iTunes to Dana (Ireland) and whilst the name change did register across the cloud to my phone - the picture remains as this other Dana Artist.

iOS 10 Music App Missing Artist Icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.