Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot detect iphone after update to 12.5.1.21

Updated to the most recent itunes version (12.5.1.21) and now itunes will not detect my iphone. tried deleting the lockdown folder. tried rebooting all devices.

Running windows 10 with all updates installed. Anyone have any suggestions?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Sep 13, 2016 12:47 PM

99 replies

Jan 15, 2017 4:03 AM in response to turingtest2

I am slowly working through all of these work throughs, with nothing yet working for itunes to recognise the phones. Your last suggestion to reinstall the previous working version seems redundant to me. I purchased a 7plus today, came home and backed up my 6plus, plugged in the 7plus, only to be told by itunes that I HAD to update to 12.5.1.21 for itunes to connect to the new phone (which I did) and hey presto, nothing. Windows orginally brought up some dumb program for photo and file sharing with the phones, and these still remain my only options when I plug either phone in. "Apple iPhone detected, what do you want to do"... itunes is not an option :/ Have requested a call back from Apple, but my hearing is shot, and I struggle with poor english skills over phone lines, so I am not looking forward to that call in the morning!

Sep 13, 2016 3:02 PM in response to Epijunky

If your iOS device isn't showing in iTunes try the following:

1. Open Control Panel > Device Manager
  2. Plug in your device
  3. Locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.
    It is also possible the device may show under Imaging Devices, Portable Devices or Other Devices or as an MTB USB Device.
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software...
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software
  6. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
  7. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  8. Click Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
  9. Click Next, then Close and exit Device Manager

For step 3 above, open the device manager. Expand any of these sections that are listed.

• Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  • Imaging Devices
  • Portable Devices
  • Other Devices

Connect the device. You should hear the telltale sound of Windows device connection and one section should gain a new entry. That should be your device. It may not be labelled correctly at this stage. If you don't hear a noise suspect a damaged cable.

Or try If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support which is Apple's version of the advice above.

Failing that try a full tear down and rebuild of iTunes as set out in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates. 64-bit users could also try the alternate Download iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) build which is sometimes a useful workaround.

Or lastly try rolling back to the last build of iTunes that worked for you. See iTunes installers for download links. If you're rolling back from 12.5.1.21 to 12.4.3.1 or 12.4.2.4, for example, then you'll also need to roll back the library database using the method described in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. The tip includes suggestions for reintroducing any recent purchases so at worst you lose a few playcounts and/or a recently created playlist.

tt2

Sep 13, 2016 3:06 PM in response to Epijunky

Similar (same) problem with my iPhone 5:

a) iOS 9.3.5, iTunes for Windows 12.4.3.1 -> everything is fine.

b) Update to iOS 10.0.1 and iTunes to 12.5.1.21 -> iTunes does not recognise the iPhone, while the PC (Windows 10 64 bit 14393.187) does. I can access via USB cable my photos on the iPhone, however since iTunes does not recognise the iPhone, I can't sync anything.

In addition, every time I connect the iPhone to my PC, iPhone is asking whether I would like to allow access to the photos/videos from this PC. It won't remember the setting. This wasn't the case with previous iOS and iTunes.

Sep 13, 2016 3:43 PM in response to KurtS.

Problem solved.

Presumably something went wrong with the update of iTunes (not the first time iTunes was messed up if the update being done from a limited user account). Based on "turningtest2" explanation, I connected the iPhone at the admin user account to verify the device manager settings. For the solution it was enough to disable and enable the "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver".

Sep 13, 2016 6:19 PM in response to turingtest2

I have the exact same problem and followed your steps for updating the drivers on my devices (both iPhone and iPad).

Context: Windows 10. Just an hour ago, needed to update iTunes to 12.5.1.21 because that was required by Apple to download iOS 10. Previously, all was working fine.

After update of iTunes, devices not recognized. Followed turingtest2's advice: updated mobile device drivers (under portables in windows 10) for both iPhone and iPad. No luck: iTunes doesn't recognize. But they are certainly installed and recognized by my computer: accessible in windows explorer. Also tried hard-power shutdown of both iPhone and iPad and re-boot of computer. No luck.

Very frustrating. Thanks a lot, Apple!

Sep 13, 2016 7:11 PM in response to kgp_middleton

I also tried this: I uninstalled my iPhone and iPad from the device manager. Then rebooted computer and did hard power down of both devices. They automatically re-installed as devices, with drivers showing as being the most updated. Same problem: iTunes doesn't recognize. So now I can't sync before I try to update to iOS 10. A real, frustration. (I appreciate you trying to help, but I hope someone from Apple realizes our frustration.)

Sep 13, 2016 7:20 PM in response to kgp_middleton

Sorry to post so much, but I think it works now. I do appreciate turingtest2 advice, but there was a slight mistake in his instructions which made it didn't work.

Instead, follow his link to If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support. If your setting is like mine under Windows 10, if your iPhone/iPad only shows up under "portable devices", then it will not be recognized by iTunes. Follow the instructions under the "No Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" link.

The difference with what turingtes2 said, is that once you click on "let me pick from a list..." you have to click "Have Disk" and follow the Apple instructions to find usbaapl64.

Once I did that, it works fine.

cannot detect iphone after update to 12.5.1.21

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.